Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/31/2005 7:27:10 AM EDT
My wife is near the end of her pregnancy, strict bed rest. I go to work this am and pick up breakfast on the way home. Park my car and as I am opening my door BB rushes up my driveway and starts soliciting:

Him - "excuse me, excuse me"

Me - "there is no soliciting in this neighborhood"

Him - " I am not soliciting. I am asking people if they want to join in on bible readings"

Me - "If I did not invite you here, then you are soliciting. Turn around and go"

Him - turns around

This happened at 10am. Nothing is cool at 10am on a weekend, let alone on a holiday weekend. Weekends are MY time. Not anyone elses.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:28:00 AM EDT
[#1]
dude you just passed on a couple hundred pounds of choice fertilizer for the garden
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:29:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I had JWs ring my doorbell on Thanksgiving Day a couple of years ago.

Somehow I always manage to be polite to them.  I've never drawn down on one.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:31:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Next time it happens, start trying to sell them various things around the house, or trying to convert them to Shintou.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:33:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Man, I really can't stand the door-to-door types. Of ANYTHING.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:33:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Spray 'em with gravy and release the hounds!

Anyone who knocks on my door to sell me something, be it candy, magazine subscriptions, crack, or Jesus, is going to get a less than warm welcome.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:35:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I had some old ragged, black-eyed bitch sellng $1.50 steaks from her pimps truck earlier this week.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:35:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Next time it happens, start trying to sell them various things around the house, or trying to convert them to Shintou.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:41:36 AM EDT
[#8]
You should have started whipping skippy in front of them.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:56:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I was in my garage doin some welding and two of these guys walked up with their little breifcases in hand and just stood there until I was finished welding.I noticed that the whole time they were standing there they were watching the ARC as I welded.I think after they left there were now 2 blind bible solicitors.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:06:14 AM EDT
[#10]
10am on a weekend?

What are you still in high school?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:35:26 AM EDT
[#11]
10 AM is almost midday.While it may be annoying, most people are up and around living their lives by that hour. Its not like they came by at 0600.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:38:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
10 AM is almost midday.While it may be annoying, most people are up and around living their lives by that hour. Its not like they came by at 0600.

Yeah, but most people are lame.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:38:59 AM EDT
[#13]
correct ARFCOM answer is to
1.  strip naked
2.  rub body with vaseline
3.  don LBE
4.  Answer the door, smile, grab one's wrist, and say "I ordered someone taller but you two will do"
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:41:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
correct ARFCOM answer is to
1.  strip naked
2.  rub body with vaseline
3.  don LBE
4.  Answer the door, smile, grab one's wrist, and say "I ordered someone taller but you two will do"

w00t!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:44:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

For some people who work long hours during the week, Saturday and Sunday are their only opportunity to get a good night's sleep.

Soliciting on the weekend at any time of day is rude.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:44:46 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

yep
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:46:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:49:25 AM EDT
[#18]
YOU:

Quoted:
My wife is near the end of her pregnancy, strict bed rest. I go to work this am and pick up breakfast on the way home. Park my car and as I am opening my door BB rushes up my driveway and starts soliciting:

Him - " I am not soliciting. I am asking people if they want to join in on bible readings"

Me - "If I did not invite you here, then you are soliciting. Turn around and go"

Him - turns around

This happened at 10am. Nothing is cool at 10am on a weekend, let alone on a holiday weekend. Weekends are MY time. Not anyone elses.

ME:  There is no soliciting of anti-christian spew in GD........

Go sacrifice goats on your own time......

YOU:  

ETA:  No one likes to be solicted, but guess what, no one likes an asshole either........you are not cute
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:55:23 AM EDT
[#19]
You should claim to be a satanist next time.

Tell them your new name is Hecubus.  Invite them in your house, but only if they remove their socks, because socks are verboten by your master.

Improvise ad lib.

Quoted:
You should have started whipping skippy in front of them.

Or, option 2.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:57:03 AM EDT
[#20]
I actually had them come on Christmas morning one year.We get JWs all the time.Usually a few older,big,black ladies.I always try to be polite,BUT,it's getting old.Sometimes they send a bunch of kids to the door.
Once they must have been knocking,and no one answered.They came around the side of the barn,and there I was-covered in blood and feathers,and nothing on but an old pair of shorts! (chicken killing time-get your minds out of the gutter).I invited them to come on over and help,but they quickly deposited their copies of "Watchtower" and waddled back to their car.Next time,I'm going to ask them what color panties they have on.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:22:24 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
10am on a weekend?

Yes. I am 15 and play video games 24/7.

Quoted:
YOU:

Quoted:

Him - turns around

ME:  There is no soliciting of anti-christian spew in GD........

Go sacrifice goats on your own time......

YOU:  

ETA:  No one likes to be solicted, but guess what, no one likes an asshole either........you are not cute

Baha'i  is the only true belief  jackass
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:26:41 AM EDT
[#22]
what's wrong with saying "no thanks"?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:30:17 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
what's wrong with saying "no thanks"?

Because it is far more amusing to make them run, then give chase while throwing dog turds at the JWs/Mormons.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:30:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Who answers their door?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:34:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Some of us do not work conventional hours and its annoying to be woken up by some moron trying to sell me something I don't need or convert me to some religion I don't believe in.  I work 24 hour shifts as an EMT and some nights I don't get any sleep at all so I go to bed when I get home.  If someone is not invited they should not be on your property unless it is some sort of an emergency or they know you.
For what its worth I am a Christian, but I don't condone beating on people's doors to try and convert them.  If they want to know more about being Christian I'm certain they know where a church is.
If I do happen to answer the door I will say 'I'm not interested' and if they don't go away the cops will be called and they will be arrested for trespassing.  If they try to force their way in my house they better hope I don't have my gun on me.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:39:15 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For some people who work long hours during the week, Saturday and Sunday are their only opportunity to get a good night's sleep.

Or do you mean the people who stay out to 0400 Saturday and Sunday mornings  partying?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:40:16 AM EDT
[#27]
If you don't answer the door they also go away.

And i have never had anyone ever try to force themselves in.

how could they when you are standing in the doorway?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:46:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Inviting you to a bible study!
How terrible!
How rude!
How unfriendly!
How uncaring!
You should have shot him for trespassing!

$10 bucks say that guy would be the only person in your area that would pull over to help your
pregnant wife with car trouble. I've got another $10 bucks that says you would have been happy
to see him if he were giving away free tickets to a an event or game of your choice.

Yeah, those damn Christians are so thoughtless.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:53:59 AM EDT
[#29]
SSS
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Some of us do not work conventional hours and its annoying to be woken up by some moron trying to sell me something I don't need or convert me to some religion I don't believe in.  I work 24 hour shifts as an EMT and some nights I don't get any sleep at all so I go to bed when I get home.  If someone is not invited they should not be on your property unless it is some sort of an emergency or they know you.
For what its worth I am a Christian, but I don't condone beating on people's doors to try and convert them.  If they want to know more about being Christian I'm certain they know where a church is.If I do happen to answer the door I will say 'I'm not interested' and if they don't go away the cops will be called and they will be arrested for trespassing.  If they try to force their way in my house they better hope I don't have my gun on me.

Wow! That's is a text book example of why so many people think Christians are narcissistic hypocrites.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:55:05 AM EDT
[#31]

J.W's are not Christians. They have changed the wording in the Bible to make it work for them. I was raised that way, and have since realized the error in their way. In short, the founder of their religion derived it from a Seventh day Adventist ideals, and added to it. It changed names as well as leaders until the early to mid 1900's. Then they settled on what they are called now.

Weirdos-

I've worked with some, most are ok, but one was so brainwashed he was like satan himself.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:06:34 AM EDT
[#32]
In a city neighborhood with a posted no soliciting ordinance, when a solicitor chooses to continue to solicit despite being informed directly of the ordinance, one tends to question the real motivation involved.  If they need my assistance that is another issue. I don't need theirs. I never asked them to come to my congregation, and I don't expect to be chastised into theirs. Any uninvited stranger on your property is always at least a nuisance of not a possible threat.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:08:33 AM EDT
[#33]
screw the thumpers.   if you are polite to them, their departing words always include the phrase "we will come back at a better time..."  which they always do a few days later.  they never get the hint that you do not want to speak with them until you are flat out rude.

i especially cannot stand the JW's, always leaving their crappy magazines all over my porch, its just one more unsolicited peice of trash i have to regularly pick up the same as the local neighborhood newspaper and the junk mail left in the mailbox.  

their spiel is routine and practiced, and focuses on the fact that most people are polite enough to entertain them while they talk in circles and attempt to do whatever it is they came to do, which usually has something to do with entering your home and talking with you.   they know what they are doing, they know when they are not wanted, but they refuse to acknowledge anything until being told rudely to leave.

as stated before, if i want to find a church, i dont think ill have much trouble.   just the same as if i want a refinanced mortgage or penis extension, i dont need junk email direction from strangers.
i dont give a shit what day or time it is, there is no need for unwanted solicitation and harrassment, especially in your own home.

you guys that have problems with people turning them away PM me your addy and phone number and ill gladly send them all to you.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:12:18 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Inviting you to a bible study!
How terrible!
How rude!
How unfriendly!
How uncaring!
You should have shot him for trespassing!

$10 bucks say that guy would be the only person in your area that would pull over to help your
pregnant wife with car trouble.
I've got another $10 bucks that says you would have been happy
to see him if he were giving away free tickets to a an event or game of your choice.

You can send that 10 bucks to me. I stop to help folks broken down fairly often. I do NOT however, go door to door selling redemption and a ticket to the Policeman's Ball....

GT
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:13:05 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
For what its worth I am a Christian, but I don't condone beating on people's doors to try and convert them.  If they want to know more about being Christian I'm certain they know where a church is.If I do happen to answer the door I will say 'I'm not interested' and if they don't go away the cops will be called and they will be arrested for trespassing.  If they try to force their way in my house they better hope I don't have my gun on me.

Wow! That's is a text book example of why so many people think Christians are narcissistic hypocrites.

Whoa there buddy, perhaps thats not the best way I should have stated my opinion.  I don't mean that as Christians we shouldn't try to share our faith.  I do belief, however, that intruding on someone's privacy and forcing ourselves on them causes them to shut off any receptivness to what we believe.  All those who know me know what I believe and that If they have any questions I'm happy to answer them and If I can't answer them I'll find out or point them to someone who does.  But you can't tell me that you are receptive to anything that someone who bangs on your door and tries pushing whatever it is they have to sell has to say.  I think that it is actually counter-productive as you can see from the posts about various religious groups in this thread.  That and that many 'Christians' that do go door to door are cults.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:13:52 AM EDT
[#36]
I actually find it more offensive than people trying to sell me shit...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

J.W's are not Christians. They have changed the wording in the Bible to make it work for them. I was raised that way, and have since realized the error in their way. In short, the founder of their religion derived it from a Seventh day Adventist ideals, and added to it. It changed names as well as leaders until the early to mid 1900's. Then they settled on what they are called now.

Weirdos-

I've worked with some, most are ok, but one was so brainwashed he was like satan himself.

This is a bit off topic, but I saw no mention of JW in the original post. Bottom line, I see no need to be
rude to anyone who's sole purpose is to help another. Call me crazy, but I'll save my angst for those
that pose a REAL threat...like the aluminum siding sales people.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#38]
I actually had a drunk landscaper knock on my door once telling me that my yard looked like shit and needed some serious work.Nothing like being insulted in the middle of your weekend by some derelict. I considered contracting him to dig a 6' deep hole in the backyard that day....
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:22:54 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Call me crazy, but I'll save my angst for those
that pose a REAL threat...like the aluminum siding sales people.

Aluminum? What decade are you in?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:23:12 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

This is a bit off topic, but I saw no mention of JW in the original post. Bottom line, I see no need to be
rude to anyone who's sole purpose is to help another.

it all depends on your interpretation of help.   if the aluminum siding guy or the dude selling meat out of the back of his truck has a geniune interest in helping you with their incredibly low prices, then its ok to solicit on private property?  even when you know it is unwanted?

what if the siding guy has SUCH a great deal that he is absolutley COMPELLED to share this good fortune with you, regardless of whether or not you care for it.  thats about the same line as the door to door thumpers.

a lot of the times around here the bible thumpers are total losers and fuck ups, who believe that its their mission now to help others like you in order to redeem themselves for being alcoholics, going to prison, losing their kids, etc.  they just dont get the hint that not everybody is as weak minded and dim witted as they are/were.  

but they only have good intentions knocking on your door every weekend so its all ok right?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:35:50 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or do you mean the people who stay out to 0400 Saturday and Sunday mornings  partying?

Both.  Partiers (partyers???) have a right to a good night's sleep too.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:40:36 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

why should that matter?  if i worked until 4am or i was at the bar until 4am, or i did nothing at all and got a good nights sleep WTF does that have to do with not wanting unwanted solicitation the next morning?

are you implying that your definition of both early and moral turpitude mean his argument is less valid?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:03:28 AM EDT
[#43]
that little annoying prick should have turned around right away when the person said no soliciting.

These bible beaters/thumpers know that 99.9% they are not welcome, and need to know the rules of coming onto someone's property. IF they say no soliciting, that is THE POLITE way to say, go the fuck away.

And for the people who jump on this with the bullshit, I often take in this 'thumpers' when its cold and give them coffee hot chocolate...

we usually do not talk religion either..im usuallying cleaning firearms sice they do come on the weekends.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

rude to anyone who's sole purpose is to help another.

it all depends on your interpretation of help.   if the aluminum siding guy or the dude selling meat out of the back of his truck has a geniune interest in helping you with their incredibly low prices, then its ok to solicit on private property?  even when you know it is unwanted?

what if the siding guy has SUCH a great deal that he is absolutley COMPELLED to share this good fortune with you, regardless of whether or not you care for it.  thats about the same line as the door to door thumpers.

a lot of the times around here the bible thumpers are total losers and fuck ups, who believe that its their mission now to help others like you in order to redeem themselves for being alcoholics, going to prison, losing their kids, etc.  they just dont get the hint that not everybody is as weak minded and dim witted as they are/were.  

but they only have good intentions knocking on your door every weekend so its all ok right?

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:22:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Most sects that will go around with a bible to visit people also believe in hard work, and you'll rarely see them "sleeping in".  Very admirable really.  

I try to be polite with them, they have their conviction, it's stupid to be rude and make them hurt for it.  When they knock on my door and I'm still sleeping, I take their tract or brochure, and just tell them it's not a good time, I would be happy to have a short chat with them in the afternoon some time.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:25:43 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here is a Christian thought, or maybe just plain common sense......post a sign on your door or in your window.

THEN get mad if they knock anyway.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:33:37 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whoa there buddy, perhaps thats not the best way I should have stated my opinion.  I don't mean that as Christians we shouldn't try to share our faith.  I do belief, however, that intruding on someone's privacy and forcing ourselves on them causes them to shut off any receptivness to what we believe.  All those who know me know what I believe and that If they have any questions I'm happy to answer them and If I can't answer them I'll find out or point them to someone who does.  But you can't tell me that you are receptive to anything that someone who bangs on your door and tries pushing whatever it is they have to sell has to say.  I think that it is actually counter-productive as you can see from the posts about various religious groups in this thread.  That and that many 'Christians' that do go door to door are cults.

Apologies inbound.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:40:04 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
10am on a weekend?

Yes. I am 15 and play video games 24/7.

Baha'i  is the only true belief  jackass

*snickers*  

Hey bud....   Happy New Year !

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:00:12 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what if they do? I've done plenty of both. It's okay to bug them when they're sleeping because someone finds what they're doing at night morally impure or something?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:03:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top