Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2005 12:47:39 PM EDT
Sometimes I wonder how these people even function at all.

Wife started working about 3 months ago.  I noticed something on her first pay stub called 'advance earned' with a -$xx.xx beside it.  I had no idea what it was and figured it was just something that place did.

So a month ago, her supervisor told her that payroll had been screwing up her check by taking out too much or not taking out enough.  I thought the same thing as she claimed 0 when she filled out her federal and state witholding forms.

So I told her that I would go and take care of it.  She's pretty much in the dark concerning taxes and the like.

Well, her next work day, she told one of the gals in the office that I would be stopping by to have a chat with them about her witholding.  I guess they were indifferent to the situation before, but she said they immediately got on the phone once she told them I was coming by.  I didn't get a chance to go by, but they said they straightened it out.

Fat chance.

What was happening was that (despite the fact that my wife never signed any form) they were giving her the 'Advance Earned Income Credit'.  Never mind that we do not qualify for said credit.

And then, my wife found out through the grapevine that apparently payroll had gotten her and another gal mixed up when filing their forms (wife and other gal started at the same time).  So instead of using her W4, they were using this other deadbeat woman who had kids.

Great.  So they were supposed to fix the problem a month ago.  At least they said they had.  And hey, (they said) the worst that can happen is might have to pay a little more in taxes.  Yep, easy for them to say, right?

It wasn't fixed on the last check.  I decided to give them two more weeks.  And yep, you guessed it.  She got paid today, once again they have not corrected their mistake.

So I guess I get to go visit the bastards on Tuesday.  Good thing I have some time to cool off.  I'm fucking pissed right now.  Now while I work with a small company (10 employees), we do have payroll problems from time to time.  But it gets corrected as soon as the mistake is caught.  The bums my wife works for are pathetic.  I don't see how they stay in business.  And they've got more than any 10 employees.

It's like an African clusterfuck up there.  And we're both getting tired of it.  I guess she's back on the job market as soon as her probationary period is up.  

How damn hard is it to get someone's witholding right?  Honestly?  Just plug the damned numbers into the program and that's it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:55:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't even get me started on payroll problems brother!!!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:00:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Assholes like that give HR guys like me a bad name
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry about all of those payroll problems, I worked on the computer programming end of payroll using the Genesis mainframe computer software,  The hardest part is initially setting the deductions correctly, and is a real nightmare to setup.  But, I WOULD WATCH THAT PAYCHECK STUB VERY CAREFULLY, if the company didn't deduct for medical etc "you are not covered," or conversely the company deducts for stuff that you don't want or need.  Watch those deductions like a hawk, and don't hesitate to question the deductions.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:18:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I work for a very large Payroll, HR and Benefits company, and I can assure you that the number one rule is always......

"DON'T SCREW UP PAYROLL !!!"

People tend to get a little bent when you start messin up payroll.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:22:55 PM EDT
[#5]
At least she didn't get a "NO PAY DUE."  

Payroll problems suck ass.  I wouldn't wait to start looking for a new job though.  Why does your wife want to wait for her probationary period to end?  Benefits and Cobra eligibility/
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:29:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Only payroll problem I got is when the company said I took a personal day when i didn't. This happened right after we got bought by a bigger company who used their own payroll system. They never fixed it for almost 2 months even though they said they did. Finally, they stopped listing how many days we took off (vacation/personal/sick) on our stubs. I guess they gave up and decided to take our word for it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:59:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I worked for a small store a few years ago who could not get my deductions right. Quite literally I would owe income taxes one year and get a refund the next. It all depended on which year I got to deduct for my daughter. The plus side was my state return usually was within about $10 - $20 of covering what I owed the Feds. So essentially those years were deducted perfectly. But we always like to get "free" money from uncle sugar, don't we.

I took a personal day, one of three, over Thanksgiving and noticed it wasn't subtracted on my last paystub. I took my last two this week. If they still haven't subtracted them come next paycheck, Jan.15, I'll have to find out why.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Only payroll problem I got is when the company said I took a personal day when i didn't. This happened right after we got bought by a bigger company who used their own payroll system. They never fixed it for almost 2 months even though they said they did. Finally, they stopped listing how many days we took off (vacation/personal/sick) on our stubs. I guess they gave up and decided to take our word for it.

Migrating from one payroll system to another payroll system is real headache.  The reason is how each system stores its data, ie the data mapping from one system to another, they may or many not have that data either system and must be deduced or inputted manually.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:17:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It's like an African clusterfuck up there.  And we're both getting tired of it.  I guess she's back on the job market as soon as her probationary period is up.  

Send them pictures of the hammer of dead and say the clique mob will get them.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:32:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I was once shorted 33 hours of OT.

The "lady" I had to deal with in personal could have cared less....

By the time I left, she was caring alot, and was on the line getting me my pay that was due. I know I did not make a friend that day, but I got my pay.

The lady I and everyone else likes was not in that week, the one I had to deal with was real pain. Thankfully she is gone.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:42:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I get paid on straight commision. My payroll is fucked up everyweek.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#12]
It took the company that I work for now 5 weeks to get me my first paycheck. By the time I got paid they had owed me 4 weeks worth of pay. Cool thing was that when they finally did get around to paying me my direct deposit had kicked in and I got all 4 paychecks on the same day!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:19:55 PM EDT
[#13]
It took SIX weeks for my first paycheck to get through the system (2 weeks of working, 2 weeks for the normal wait until getting paid for the first two weeks, plus 2 additional weeks for admin problems).

But, it included two paychecks (4wks), PLUS a 25% signing bonus. It was the biggest check I'll see until I get my buy-out check at retirement.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:37:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Assholes like that give HR guys like me a bad name

I didn't know HR people had a good name.

<- Hasn't been paid for teaching or internship since October.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:58:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I wouldn't wait to start looking for a new job though.  Why does your wife want to wait for her probationary period to end?  Benefits and Cobra eligibility/

This is her first job and I think it would be a good idea to stick around for at least 3 months before looking/switching jobs.

As for the benefits, there isn't much there.  My company pays for our health insurance, so we have that going for us.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Let me make a correction here HR is not Payroll.  Payroll is usually a bunch of fat dead beat bitches that sit around and eat cake all day.  HR on the other hand makes a value added contribution to the company.  

Imagin you have been eating cake all day bitching about your eight kids from five differnnt fathers.  Could you enter tax dedutionds correctly?  The diabetic shock must be cripling.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:11:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I work for a very large Payroll, HR and Benefits company, and I can assure you that the number one rule is always......

Absolutely right!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:33:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
HR on the other hand makes a value added contribution to the company.  

Thats funny.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:05:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Not at Boeing; somehow they believe that pay day is a guideline and as long as the check shows up eventually, everything is fine.  I've been slacking off lately, I need to jump their asses when we go back to work.  During the last phone call, the payroll person was perplexed when I told him that it's not the Post Office's repsonsiblity to pay me on time.  I was receiving a check delivered to my desk until last summer when the company decided that every one would have direct deposit; well, that ain't going to happen, so I get a check in the mail now.

The bastards think they can wear me down ....
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:04:01 PM EDT
[#20]
One of my buddies at work found out after a year of working at Walmart that they had mis-typed his Social Security # by one digit. He was 18, he didn't have it memorized yet, he didn't figure it out until tax time. All his FICA/SS money went to someone else's account.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:00:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
One of my buddies at work found out after a year of working at Walmart that they had mis-typed his Social Security # by one digit. He was 18, he didn't have it memorized yet, he didn't figure it out until tax time. All his FICA/SS money went to someone else's account.

Ditto, that happened to me also, Uncle Sam sent me a bill please pay this amount in taxes etc. I had to have my company to send a letter to the IRS to straighten then mess up.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:03:39 PM EDT
[#22]
I hear ya, i go through shit like this every payday. I get tired of telling them that i work an 8 hour shift.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:21:57 PM EDT
[#23]
One of the HR bimbos at a former employer set up my biweekly "healthcare deduction" to be some wildly wrong amount -- I never did figure out where she got the number from, but it was several times higher than what it should be.  She threw a tantrum about how it was all my fault when I told her about it (despite the number being quite clear on the form I had filled out), refused to do anything to return the over-deducted money to me "because of IRS regulations", and generally was a fucking pain.  I had to cancel the deductions for the rest of the year before my third paycheck, and just barely managed to use the money up before the end of the year.

I told the company owner that she needed to be fired.  He gave her nearly a year of "training" before finally agreeing that she was an irresponsible, incompetent bitch who was unable to function in any workplace.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:27:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Dammit, the more I think about this shit the more pissed off I get.

Then I just think about the stories my wife has told me about the place and her fellow employees.

Trust me when I say this folks.  For the love of God, don't put your relatives in a nursing home.  If you only knew what goes on when you are not there.    They charge you out the ass to stay there, but they sure as hell aren't paying their employees anything.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:30:39 PM EDT
[#25]

"Yeah ummmmmmm I havent gotten my last paycheck and payroll is making things bad here... "

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:35:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Reminds me of something I used to do while servicing computers at the local PD:

As I was walking around, alot of cops would stop me and ask me what I was doing there. For the longest time I would explain that I was working on their PCs, servers, network, blah blah blah. The cops would always make me whait while they verified everything and it became a pain in the ass after a while. Then, I started saying "I'm fixing the computers that handle payroll". They ALWAYS left me alone after that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top