Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2005 1:52:57 PM EDT
Has anyone hear tried it?  What did you think of it?

I received a Magellan GPS for Christmas and am looking for a way to learn to use it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:55:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:55:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:57:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Its great! And the chicks dig it! No really its FUN !
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:03:02 PM EDT
[#4]
The wife and I have been at it for several years.  Along with the fun of the search, we've found several parks and trails we did not know existed before our foray into caching. our Magellan Sportrak Map hand held GPS has done us just fine.

While you're at it, you might want to check out benchmarking and letter box hunting.  If nothing else, one learns the ins and outs of using a GPS unit.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:03:57 PM EDT
[#5]
It's fun. I take the kids out and let them find the cache.  Good practice to learn your  GPS.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:06:07 PM EDT
[#6]
A friend introduced us to Geocaching on a camping trip.  That got my wife and I into it.

It is fun, and we enjoy it.  Gets us out to places we ordinarily wouldnt go.

I have a Magellan SporTrak Color and the Mapsend Topo CD.  Works great.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:09:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Been at it for 3 years as a member. Great family and Scout activity.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:10:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I mainly use it to learn about new trails for mountain biking and skiing.  Have found alot of good trails I would never have learned about otherwise.

It's kind of fun, as some people are pretty creative in hiding their cache.  I've only looked for a few, and most were ammo cans, but one guy had a fake rock right out in the open on a well traveled trail, and no one but geocacher's would know.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:14:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Been doing it for a couple of monthss now. I use the eTrex Legend (blue).
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:21:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I went once at night. It was cold and wet, even more so after I fell into the river. Wasn't fun, wont go again.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Has anyone hear tried it?  What did you think of it?

I received a Magellan GPS for Christmas and am looking for a way to learn to use it.

found one by accident.  My girlfriend took it home and when we realized what it was and how serious some of these people are we were dying.  Scooby has since been held as a possible Enemy Combatant

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:25:22 PM EDT
[#12]
will take a ransom of 500 rnd M193
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:55:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Slight dissenting opinion: it's basically an excuse to use your GPS. It's also an excuse to go hiking.  Neither requires a geo-cache. I did 4 or 5 of them back when it was new and got bored. It probably depends on how easily amused you are. It's good beginning land navigation practice if you choose a cache off the beaten path (so few are).

Try orienteering.

aa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top