Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 5:44:35 PM EDT
Last year my Bradley turret took an RPG hit, and after all was said and done, my right eye socket was crushed. They fixed it up just fine, only now my right eye is noticably squinted a few milimeters.

It doesn't impair my vision, but if the government is willing to foot the bill for the surgery, I say it's worth thinking about.
I don't know how risky the procedure would be so I'm looking for input.

My question is: Should I leave it alone, or take the chance on some quack fucking it up worse?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Last year my Bradley turret took an RPG hit, and after all was said and done, my right eye socket was crushed. They fixed it up just fine, only now my right eye is noticably squinted a few milimeters.

It doesn't impair my vision, but if the government is willing to foot the bill for the surgery, I say it's worth thinking about.
I don't know how risky the procedure would be so I'm looking for input.

My question is: Should I leave it alone, or take the chance on some quack fucking it up worse?

You still in?

My best friend does facial plastics and ENT in the Army. He won't F you up.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#2]
At least you have a cool story as to why your face is messed up.  Some of us just have genetics to blame.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Still in and have 6 months left. That's why I need to figure it out kinda' soon.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Still in and have 6 months left. That's why I need to figure it out kinda' soon.

Where are you stationed?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:51:23 PM EDT
[#5]
First of all, I'm not a doc...but I am a disabled vet so pay attention.

Make damn sure you document any physical problems you may be having that could be related in any way to your combat injury.  Take pix and archive them.

Ask the military docs to fix it.  If they will fix it for you, let them.  If they determine that you problem is not worth fixing or that the risks outweigh the potential gains, then either wait until you leave the service and get the VA to review it and fix it if possible, OR go see a plastic surgeon on your own.  TRICARE will not likely pay for it, but it is worth a consult with your local TRICARE rep.

Save all documentation and make copies of your med record before you leave the service.  Take that info to the VA and get a disability physical.  When you're an old beat up fart like me and thousands of others like me, you will appreciate that disability check coming in each month.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where are you stationed?

Ft Riley, KS
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#7]
If you'd like, I can put you in touch with my buddy. He can talk to you "off the record" and tell you what your best course of treatment might be. He's at Tripler.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you'd like, I can put you in touch with my buddy. He can talk to you "off the record" and tell you what your best course of treatment might be. He's at Tripler.

Thanks Gator,that would be great.

Email me his info and I'll contact him about it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:07:41 PM EDT
[#9]
email sent
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:56:09 PM EDT
[#10]
The key is to determine if the orbit has been properly reconstructed. If the "socket" was reconstructed too deep, the eye will be more sunken into the socket and the lids will be more "squinty" than before. Most likely it is not just a lid problem, but a socket problem which would take alot more work to re-do. I would recommend getting a couple of opinions from oculoplastics or facial plastics doctor. I know of several in the Houston area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top