Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2005 12:25:01 AM EDT
Anyone know of a utility that will break down the contents of one's hard drive by size?

My drive is getting full and I am sure there is some BS on there that I could get rid of if I could just find it...

Thanks.

Merry Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:31:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Just use the search function.

Have it search the entire drive for files in the specified size.

You could have it search for all files named " *.* ", which would find ALL files, then list them in order by size, but this may take a while...
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:33:38 AM EDT
[#2]
ls -sk |sort -r  

What PromptCritical said, and also empty your browser cache and temp files.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:34:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes you want Tree Size
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:39:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Ooohh, here's one:

Start menu, Run.

Type " cmd " into the box and hit enter.

FUN WITH DOS!

try " dir /? "
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#5]
No program required.

Open C or any folder.

Right click in an open space, not on an icon, and chose

Arrange Icons by...

and chose Size.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:35:35 AM EDT
[#6]
What you want is called a "tree-view" program.
With these programs you can easily see the relative sizes of files or directories on your computer.

Sequoiaview is the name of another (free) one I like, it uses squarified treemaps.
~~~~~~~
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:53:59 AM EDT
[#7]
There is also Ace Utilities.  It does a lot more stuff like cleaning your registry and harddrive of missing links, temp files etc.  Also in one of the functions it lists what your harddrive is made up of.  It lists how much percentage of the harddrive is taken up by each file type.  It also lists files by size from your whold drive instead of just each directory.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:54:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Big files are almost always video or games... I assume you are organized enough to find where you keep video files ? Delete unwanted video, and then uninstall any unused games.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:56:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Spacemonger

Its free.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:20:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Have you ever heard of Windows Explorer?  View "Details" and click on "Size."  
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:29:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Have you ever heard of Windows Explorer? View "Details" and click on "Size."

-It's not the same thing.
Note the screenshots of SequoiaView (warning: popups ahead): www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

Windows Explorer will sort files by size, but will only list directories by forwards or backwards alphanumeric order. And it can't display files insided more than one directory at a time.

Tree-view programs will show all the files on a partition at once, but still organized by directories.
~
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:53:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Spacemonger

Its free.

www.werkema.com/img/scrnshot/spacemonger.gif

+1 for spacemonger, small quick and usefull.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top