Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 10:39:13 PM EDT
If you had to do a year and actually got to make the choice where would you be?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:09:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Iraq.  Been to both.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:56:18 PM EDT
[#2]
There ain't no Ebola in Iraq.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:59:34 PM EDT
[#3]
The Africans are even worse shots and no IEDs.  Not to mention Africans are less likely to be hostile.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:13:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The Africans are even worse shots and no IEDs.  Not to mention Africans are less likely to be hostile.  

+1

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:20:43 AM EDT
[#5]
My buddy just got back from Africa, he said it was a total sewer.  Dysfunctional government, no functioning police or central government in most places they went, dangerous as hell and about 15% of the population has HIV in many places.  At least Iraq will kill you quickly.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:21:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Africa.  No IED's, just a lot of spray and pray and RPGs.  I like my chances a lot better there.  Plus I'd like some payback for Somalia.

-Jason M
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:32:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Africa is a VERY large continent. Where in Africa?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:33:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I think I prefer the diseases in Iraq rather than Africa's share.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:37:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Speaking as a civilian puke with no combat experience........

I'd take the PC version of the video game
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:02:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:08:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I would not mind a little payback in somalia,,,
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:22:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

YEa, there are some pretty nice places in South Africa that I would not mind going to.  Egypt ain't all that bad.  

There is even some places in West Africa that are pretty nice, I hear Ghana is a pretty nice place as well ,despite it's neighbors sucking.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:00:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Who's got the best hookers?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:49:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Always wanted to go to Africa.

Never wanted to go to Iraq.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:25:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
My buddy just got back from Africa, he said it was a total sewer.  Dysfunctional government, no functioning police or central government in most places they went, dangerous as hell and about 15% of the population has HIV in many places.  At least Iraq will kill you quickly.

africa is a shithole in every sense of the word. there is more bacteria there that can kill you than in every other part of the world combined. shit, you can die from the dust or stepping in a puddle of rainwater!

plus, we have absolutely zero strategic interest there, we have absolutely NO reason to be there. if we ever deploy there for any reason other than rescuing americans, i will be standing next to cindy shitstain waving a sign. no american troop should be exposed to that dump.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:33:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

africa is a shithole in every sense of the word. there is more bacteria there that can kill you than in every other part of the world combined. shit, you can die from the dust or stepping in a puddle of rainwater!

plus, we have absolutely zero strategic interest there, we have absolutely NO reason to be there. if we ever deploy there for any reason other than rescuing americans, i will be standing next to cindy shitstain waving a sign. no american troop should be exposed to that dump.

LOL hardcorps1775,
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:33:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Main effort is HOA these days.  Some special forces involvement in West Africa and sub-Sahara.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:55:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Lonegunman,
I've seen that something like 50% of the population in some areas has aids.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:15:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Africa is one big toilet. Unless there was a strategic purpose for being there, I would never risk my life in Africa.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:18:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Iraq easy choice there.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:51:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Iraq.  The womenz be better looking than Africa!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:00:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Iraq, that's where the bad guys are, it has strategic value, and more infastructure. Africa just plain sucks.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:11:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Here's another question.

Something tragic does happen, how quickly can you be transported to first rate hospital care?

If something bad happens in Iraq there are probably a higher percentage of expert medical care already in the area and if it's real bad, after stabilized you are much closer to countries that are probably even more specialized in giving care.

The aids, bacteria, and desease problem would have me bugging out of my ever loving mind in Africa.    Thanks but no thanks.    
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:16:37 AM EDT
[#24]
If the government drafted me and decided to send me to Iraq then I would go.

If the government drafted me and decided to send me to Afric then I would go...to CANADA!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:21:26 AM EDT
[#25]

No question about it.

Iraq.

Africa is the herpes-crusted anus of the world.

Africa makes Bangladesh look civilized.

NOTHING is worse than Africa - not even Detroit.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:25:20 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

The crappy part.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:26:14 AM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By KC-130 FLT ENG:

Probably Amsterdam.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:29:06 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
No question about it.

Iraq.

Africa is the herpes-crusted anus of the world.

Africa makes Bangladesh look civilized.

NOTHING is worse than Africa - not even Detroit.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:30:27 AM EDT
[#29]
A friend choose Africa after doing a stint in Iraq.  I told him he was insane.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:32:02 AM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By KC-130 FLT ENG:

Florida State University.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:39:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Iraq. No hesitation on that one.

When I was a little kid, if Africa was mentioned on TV, in my mind I envisioned
lions, elephants and giraffes.

Now when I hear the word Africa, I envision AIDS, rampant disease,
fly covered bloated bodies, and some crazy Liberian roadblock where
a human intestine is stretched across a road between two gate posts.

Africa is just nasty.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:40:29 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
If you had to do a year and actually got to make the choice where would you be?

Africa or Iraq?

That's like having the choice of getting kicked in the balls, or poked in the eye.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:41:24 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Africa is just nasty.

And when was the last time you were there??

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:41:52 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The crappy part.

That pretty much covers the entire continent.

I will say this, I spent 3 months in East Africa and the people I did meet were some of the most hospitible people I've ever met.

That being said, I have NO plans on ever going back.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:42:18 AM EDT
[#35]
If you are talking about deploying to Africa you are probably talking about Djibouti, which is a French administered small slice of Somali inhabited hellish desert.  The forces deployed there are basically a ready reaction force for the Horn of Africa and the Arabian peninsula across the straight.  BORING.  Nothing happening but swatting flys and waiting in long chow lines.

Iraq would be the choice of these two.

Also, I have deployed to Africa on more than one occasion and although almost all the problems that you guys list are to some extent real, it's not nearly as bad, as a whole, as you might think.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:50:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Everything I need or ever wanted is in the good old U. S. A..  

I'd rather die here than some country that hates us.  

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:20:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Iraq is the obvious answer; at least there they only shoot you and blow you up.

Africa is a disease infested cesspool.  

The only place I can think of that I would prefer over Africa would be Haiti.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:23:33 AM EDT
[#38]
If you voted Africa, you should have to spend the year in Sierra Leone.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:32:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Iraq, in africa, if the people dont kill you, disease will.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:39:25 AM EDT
[#40]
I voted for Africa. I've already been to Iraq. Never been to Africa.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:55:31 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Does one need to personally experience dysentary to know it's bad?

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:56:44 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
If you voted Africa, you should have to spend the year in Sierra Leone.

Anyone who voted for Africa has much to learn from Mother Africa.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:05:35 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I voted for Africa. I've already been to Iraq. Never been to Africa.

+1, especially if Africa involved another situation like we had the first year in Iraq.  Iraq isnt as fun as it used to be, its hard to get a reason to go into a local market in Iraq to buy anything since everyone is scared to get blown up.  ROE sucks compared to what we had in 03', and everyday is virtually the same routine over and over and over again.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:49:19 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Africa is just nasty.

Never been there and thanks for asking.

But if you like it so much, you can go there in my place
and catch that dose of Ebola that had my name on it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:07:30 AM EDT
[#45]
I just got back from Africa...
I didnt object to going anywhere, however, I just got married, and started my carrer when they "asked" me where I wanted to go.  I had little more than a year on my contract when the situation presented itself.  I opted for Africa.
If you are in a high speed (or think you are) outfit, you will do alot of cool shit.  
If you are a Provisional Securtiy company, enjoy working in full armor in the sun all day with F'd up shifts and not having much fun.
We get the same pay and good stuff there money wise as anyone in Iraq.
We were the abandoned stepchildren.  I lived in a tent (better than open desert and no one was shooting at me) and the bugs and critters are INSANE.
If you arent in a high speed unit, you wont be doing crap, and if you are, you wont be going ANYWHERE near Sudan, Somalia or doing anything that rambo would do.  
There is alot of border security training and what not. No nation building.
I ran the S -3 (training) and we burnned through the ammo.  I tried my best to train anyone I came across like they were going to Iraq next.  
Life on base sucks, but atleast you could get a cold one and go out into town.  There were no "incidents" involving tangos, so there were alot of fuck fuck games that took place.

Who would ever WANT to pull a 7 day work week?  (and work within arms reach of IDIOTS every day for 8 months)
If you want more info and are headed there, drop me a line, I can get you locked on.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:10:36 AM EDT
[#46]
At least the Iragis appreciate us and what we are doing.

Nick
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:25:18 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I just got back from Africa...
I didnt object to going anywhere, however, I just got married, and started my carrer when they "asked" me where I wanted to go.  I had little more than a year on my contract when the situation presented itself.  I opted for Africa.
If you are in a high speed (or think you are) outfit, you will do alot of cool shit.  
If you are a Provisional Securtiy company, enjoy working in full armor in the sun all day with F'd up shifts and not having much fun.
We get the same pay and good stuff there money wise as anyone in Iraq.
We were the abandoned stepchildren.  I lived in a tent (better than open desert and no one was shooting at me) and the bugs and critters are INSANE.
If you arent in a high speed unit, you wont be doing crap, and if you are, you wont be going ANYWHERE near Sudan, Somalia or doing anything that rambo would do.  
There is alot of border security training and what not. No nation building.
I ran the S -3 (training) and we burnned through the ammo.  I tried my best to train anyone I came across like they were going to Iraq next.  
Life on base sucks, but atleast you could get a cold one and go out into town.  There were no "incidents" involving tangos, so there were alot of fuck fuck games that took place.

Who would ever WANT to pull a 7 day work week?  (and work within arms reach of IDIOTS every day for 8 months)
If you want more info and are headed there, drop me a line, I can get you locked on.

I was with 1st PSC in Dj...  God did that suck...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top