Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 5:32:47 AM EDT
www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=175007152

#  Firefox's use of physical and virtual memory is exceptionally high.
# CPU usage spikes to 100 percent (usually while loading a Web page).
# The browser freezes up for seconds, minutes, or permanently.
# The browser won't launch until they remove an errant "firefox.exe" process in Task Manager.
# The browser crashes suddenly (usually while loading a Web page).
# The browser has trouble loading specific pages, but there's no commonality among users as to which pages won't load.
# The initial launch of Firefox loads slower.
# Third-party application hyperlinks (such as a link in an e-mail message) take a long time to open a new Firefox tab or to launch the browser.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:37:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:38:58 AM EDT
[#2]
The only issue I've had with FireFox is after extended periods of browsing, it turns into a resourse hog. I've gotten it to be a little better by reducing the cache and history settings.

The other problems, haven't seen them.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:05:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Gee, I guess if you're unhappy with Firefox, you should get a refund.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:11:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Firefox has a memory leak problem.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:15:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I keep trying to switch to firefox but it just has so many bugs that annoy the hell out of me.

bugs:

a) incorrectly displays many pages I visit
b) can't play inbedded sounds properly, they crackle and sound distorted
c) you can't set file types to always download, instead of opening an in-browser plug-in. e.g. clicking on a link to an mp3 will cause it to open a new page with quicktime plugin, instead of downloading the file. I know there is an options menu to change file behaviors, but it is buggy and doesn't work right either.
d) downloading any file always creates these temp files that I have to manually delete
e) firefox is way more suseptible to pop-ups then IE is now

things I like about firefox:
a) the adblock extension along with the auto-updating ads definition extension is awesome
b) tabs

that's about it...
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:27:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Only problem I've had, which is REALLY annoying, is it seems to have a significant memory leak.  But then I've noticed this in the past, as well.  Just particularly bad with the latest version, at least in my experience.

Noticed it one night, about a week ago,  while I was kicking around here and a couple other sites.  Things started loading slower and slower, and then would hang a bit.  Then I tried to open a folder on my computer and it took a good 30 seconds to come up.  

Took a look in task manager, and firefox was using 270MB's of memory, even AFTER I'd closed all tabs

Tells ME something's rotten in Denmark.....  I guess make your own conclusions.

I've been able to reproduce it over and over again......  Regularly have to close and restart it, to keep things running normally.

Sure, it's free.... But there's very definitely something amiss....

Hopefully they get it squared away soon.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:30:04 AM EDT
[#7]
try this

Gary
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:42:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I tried to like it.  I gave it every chance.  I love the tabs... the extensions are cool.  But I can't look past the issues that the same people who sing the praises of Firefox would crucify IE, if it had the same problems.

Another thread here suggested Maxthon... but it seems to be nothing more than a tabbed IE skin.  Uses the same cookies, history, etc.  That doesn't work for me because I do web development on a corporate intranet, and have to purge cookies all the time in IE; I like to do internet browsing on a separate browser so that I don't have to re-enter my info all the time.

Any other tabbed browsers out there that I can use and abuse and not worry about memory and stuff?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:44:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I use opera...
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:46:39 AM EDT
[#10]
What machine do you have?  2.4 p4, 512mb ram.  I surf with a DVD, or winamp playing with no problems.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:47:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, I have firefox (1.5) running for weeks at a time, and I can't count the number of times it's crashed.
because it hasn't.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:18:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Mine doesn't crash... usually.  It just lets the memory usage creep up.

Actually, it did crash on me Sunday.  I was entering html for an ebay auction... I had worked on it for about an hour or so, and just about got it to where I wanted it.

Then, up comes that little message box... Firefox has encountered an error and has to close.

I lost all of it and had to start over again.

Right now I'm on a 1 Ghz machine with 1gig RAM.  Firefox.exe will regularly go above 250,000 MB before I restart it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:03:35 AM EDT
[#13]
People are staring to realize just how badly written Firefox is… and the programers seem to be incapable of fixing the problems. The memory leak has been an issue from day one and over a year later still no fix.

Each quarter of the last year Firefox has been found to have more critical flaws that IE. The only reason Firefox has been more secure is because it is more obscure than IE and no one was attacking it, that has now changed.

The press is starting to wake up to the fact Firefox was not the panacea it was sold as.

Give Opera a try.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top