User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/19/2005 9:23:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:35:26 PM EDT
[#1]

Good luck bro !

I used to hate driving down into the city when the traffic was GOOD  

Can just imagine what fun you're gonna have with them on strike...

Ouch
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:38:59 PM EDT
[#2]
GF just called me from NYC - said they did strike.
Too bad - really gonna put a damped on her trip.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:39:17 PM EDT
[#3]
holy crap, it's gonna be fun in the city
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:45:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh, bleh

I'm glad I escaped while I could...

Never understood why/how they could justify SHUTTING DOWN a department of what, 50k people, all told, from drivers/operators to cleaning staff, preventing some 10+ million people from getting around, over some minor bullshit quabble...

*sigh*

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:47:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:48:58 PM EDT
[#6]
How long until its Bushes fault?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:42:54 PM EDT
[#7]
As I understand it they are legally prohibited from striking and lose 2 days pay for every day on strike, although apparently some of the bus drivers aren't bound by that.

Other than the actual drivers/mechanics of the trains, I would bet most of those jobs are unskilled and could be replaced quickly.

I seem to remember reading that even the station cleaners make $45k-60+.

Fuck em.  They want to strike, I say we pull a Reagan and replace the lot of them.  I'll bet you'd get 1000 applications for every vacancy.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:45:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
As I understand it they are legally prohibited from striking and lose 2 days pay for every day on strike.

Other than the actual drivers/mechanics of the trains, I would bet most of those jobs are unskilled and could be replaced quickly.

Fuck em.  They want to strike, I say we pull a Reagan and replace the lot of them.  I'll bet you'd get 1000 applications for every vacancy.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:32:12 PM EDT
[#9]
what nuts to me is how much of a raise they want about 8 % per year for 3 years, if that was me it would mean a rasie of 16 thousand over 3 years, thats a real nice chunk of change. nothing like raises that are more than what some body at McDs make a year.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:35:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
what nuts to me is how much of a raise they want about 8 % per year for 3 years, if that was me it would mean a rasie of 16 thousand over 3 years, thats a real nice chunk of change. nothing like raises that are more than what some body at McDs make a year.

Rebuilding trannys and rear ends on buses is a bit more complicated than flipping a burger.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:40:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh, but you see, unions are great!

It'd make me smile from ear to ear if all new people were hired to replace those striking. Then they'd really have something to bitch about!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:41:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

No, its 8% over 3 years
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:50:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, its 8% over 3 years

okay i kept hearing on the local news that it was 8 % per year. now 8 % over 3 years in very reasonable.  heck i typically get 3 to 5 % per year, well i did before i started my own company. i personally think 4% should be standard, including minium wage.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:00:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Looks like its happening

mta.info/strike/nyct.htm

As of approximately 3 a.m. on Tuesday, December 20, 2005, the Transport Workers Union (TWU) called for a strike on MTA NYCT buses & subways. Accordingly, all NYC Transit subway and most bus service will not run.

* Staten Island Railway will operate additional weekday rush hour service.
         o Stopping patterns on some trains will be modified.
         o Crowded conditions are anticipated.
         o Customers should allow extra travel time, and listen for conductor announcements.

* Access-A-Ride paratransit service will operate.
         o Trips will be scheduled during the strike, but area roads are expected to be heavily congested and travel times will be longer than usual.
         o Access-A-Ride customers should limit their travel to essential trips and be patient during any mass transit disruptions.

* It is unclear if the following services will operate (check here regularly for updates):
         o NYC Transit local and express buses in Queens and Staten Island
         o MTA Bus
         o Green Bus Lines

* As of 12:01 on 12/19/05, two private bus lines in Queens, Jamaica Buses and Triboro Coach have gone on strike. Click here for more info.

Please be aware that service is subject to change.

Don't discard your MetroCard. It will retain its value after a strike as follows:

* Unlimited Ride MetroCard (including Reduced-Fare Unlimited Ride MetroCard) — 30-Day and 7-Day Unlimited Ride (as well as Express Bus Plus, Holiday Bonus, and Holiday Unlimited) cards will be extended for as many days as the strike lasts. In other words, you will not lose any time on your Unlimited Ride MetroCard as a result of the strike.
   * Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard—your card is not affected.
   * LIRR and Metro-North Mail&Ride MetroCard—customers holding monthly tickets with Unlimited Ride MetroCard will automatically receive credit for any unused portion of the MetroCard in the next statement.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:49:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I heard that there was a court injunction that prohibited them from striking.  Wouldn't it be cool if the union leaders got thrown in jail for shutting the city down during Christmas week?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:05:36 AM EDT
[#16]
It's a terrorist plot. Get everyone stuck in there, no where to move and set of a huge fawkin bomb
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:06:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
How long until its Bushes fault?

It already is.

If he didn't allow 9/11, we wouldn't have to worry about this.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:27:51 AM EDT
[#18]
NYC Traffic is bad as it is. Good luck
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:33:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I feel bad for you guys that have to go into NYC!   Man that's gonna suck!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:36:21 AM EDT
[#20]
People are lined up in the streets of queens, hundreds of them on street corners looking for ways into the city ! Its gonna be an interesting time, Im backing the strikers 100%
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:37:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Sorry to hear that Wave. Hope the strike ends before it screws up your holidays. Good luck brother.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:39:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Usually when a union is under a NO-STRIKE law there is a provision for automatic arbitration.  What happened in this case?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:41:51 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
As I understand it they are legally prohibited from striking and lose 2 days pay for every day on strike, although apparently some of the bus drivers aren't bound by that.

+1, More union BS. Crazy-assed wages for mediocer work. What really gets me is you can plainly see the abuse of health care by fellow employees along with other abuses of benefits and people don't say anything. Workers in this country need to realize that they need to do their part to help reduce costs and then we don't get to this point.

I work for a construction company and I fully realize that if the owners dont make a profit, they sure as hell dont need any of us workers. They would close the doors and still be rich and we will all be looking for work.

Hope this ends before it screws up your holiday Wave.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:49:12 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

+1

They violate a no-strike clause?

Hold the city hostage for higher wages? Nothing like fucking over someone else to get what you want. Throw the union out and fire the lot.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:59:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:05:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Looking at the video from FNC right now of all the people walking to work. How many days of that before folks start getting froggy?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:06:04 AM EDT
[#27]
"Hey! I'm walkin' here!"
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:09:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:15:32 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
i personally think 4% should be standard, including minium wage.

That is a good way to keep inflation hovering around 4% forever.

The lack of basic economic knowledge on this board is amazing.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:16:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Fire them all and start hiring back the ones that want to work.

Go without pay long enough and they'll get hungry and be willing to work for a lower price.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:16:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Looks like I'm taking some days off!

by the way, the NYC murder rate declined another 14% last year
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:22:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Working from home today. Have Laptop, Will Travel (just not today).
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:30:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Happiness is getting to walk two miles from my (non-striking, coming in from out of state) train to my office because a bunch of jackasses are collectively having a "temper tantrum" because they aren't getting what they want.

If I don't get what I want at work, I go find another job.

Every one of them should be fired.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:32:54 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
People are lined up in the streets of queens, hundreds of them on street corners looking for ways into the city ! Its gonna be an interesting time, Im backing the strikers 100%

I'm backing their firing 100%

Idiots.

TXL
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:44:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:51:02 AM EDT
[#36]
That's why I never support any 'gubment funded public transportation. I prefer to to drive my car around my schedule instead of someone else's bus, rail, tram schedule.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:55:24 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
That's why I never support any 'gubment funded public transportation. I prefer to to drive my car around my schedule instead of someone else's bus, rail, tram schedule.

When you and 40,000 of your closest friends are all competing for three lanes to get to work on time, mass transit looks very very appealing.

If I lived where I could get around by mass transit, my car would be for entertainment and trips only.

Jim
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:56:35 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Although today you would get to do so with three strangers.  What with manditory car-pooling and all.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:10:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:14:01 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted: When you and 40,000 of your closest friends are all competing for three lanes to get to work on time, mass transit looks very very appealing. If I lived where I could get around by mass transit, my car would be for entertainment and trips only. Jim
The solution, build more roads. Roads don't go on strike.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:15:30 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted: Although today you would get to do so with three strangers.  What with manditory car-pooling and all.
I so sowwy. Car full of family headed to city. No room. Good day.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:18:07 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Fire them all and start hiring back the ones that want to work.

+1
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:33:28 AM EDT
[#43]
One of the bluest cities in the country.  They are getting what they deserve.  

You don't have that problem here in right-to-work land.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:38:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Man, talk about a target rich enviornment for backpack bombers.  I hope this gets resolved quick, for safety's sake.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:41:38 AM EDT
[#45]
WWRD? (What would Reagan do?)

In August 1981, Ronald Reagan took an uncompromising stand against striking air-traffic controllers who threatened to shut down the nation's airlines. The striking workers complained of growing demands and dangerous levels of stress on the job. Their issues centered on wages, retirement benefits and hours.

The president announced the striking workers were in violation of the law, and he fired them, with little apparent remorse. Organized labor was furious while the public had a more mixed reaction. Even those within his own administration had their doubts about the move.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:45:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Jeeze I would say they created a huge security risk... Fire all their asses and than hire new workers and give them the pay raise just to spit in the assholes faces.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:47:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Holy Fucking Shit!

NYC is gonna be miserable
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:50:04 AM EDT
[#48]
every time NYC transit workers strike, god kills a kitten
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:52:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Funny.

The people that need the public transit the most, the

less wealthy, are the ones being impacted
by thier fellow "Working men and women."

Yes America...There's your unions at work.

Christ.

I'd kill for the bennies they have, and, they still want to strike.

Un friggin believeable.

PATCO now!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:53:22 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

You could barely live on $60k/y in NYC

I agree, Capitalism will take over and the wages will adjust accordingly. If you can't hire someone at X$'s per hour and no bennies, you'll have to pay Y$'s and have these bennies to attract works. Unions had their place in time before federal laws protected workers, now many simply are extortionists preying on the workers they represent and the management. Not saying all unions are bad, but a large portion are.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top