Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2005 4:20:49 PM EDT
My dad is a (very)recently recovering alcoholic.

I'd like to give him something that says I'm proud he's taken the correct steps, and gotten back on the correct track. This doesn't have to be anything material.

Just for a bit of background, my dad's from a small town, and is a pretty simple guy.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:23:47 PM EDT
[#1]
It's pretty hard to go wrong with hookers and blow...

but seriously, I think maybe something that bears a date on it may indicate how the moment he decided to be sober was important to you as well (maybe like an engraved knife, coffee mug, hooker, or something like that).
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:25:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you told him you were proud? Nothing would mean more than that.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:41:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Get him a nice bottle of TheMacallan.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:42:35 PM EDT
[#4]
AR15?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:43:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Get him a nice bottle of TheMacallan.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought something along those lines.  I would have included a card saying, "No one likes a quitter."

My sense of humor is going to get my ass beaten one of these days.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:44:50 PM EDT
[#6]
If he's in AA try to find a REALLY nice coin with his sober time on it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Might find something here like one of those anniversary coins. I dated a girl that was in AA about ten years ago. whew.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#8]
a Radio Flyer Wagon.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:20:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Bump for a couple more ideas. Thanks for the input so far.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:25:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Take him to a ball game or something.  Be with him.  Tell him that your proud.  Tell him you forgive him for something he did when he was drinking [I'm pretty sure that's one of AA's steps].
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#11]
A 460 Wby Mag rifle! It makes a great gift!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:36:43 PM EDT
[#12]
This obviously ain't the place to get any meaningful advice

That said: Just tell him, you don't have tio give him anything except love, respect, and some of your time.  Go to a meeting with him, if he's up for it. Your actions in response to his are going to speak volumes more  than a gift.

You can google up aa and find all manner of stuff for gifts.

Give my congratulations for another 24.

edited for sp.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:39:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Spend time with him... take him somewhere new... a place that he could not go if he was drinking.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:46:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Get him a copy of Varieties of Spiritual Experience by William Jennings.  And get him a 12 and 12, it's a pretty good book.

I have some family in the program.

Also, get yourself a bottle of aspirin, you're gonna need it.  AA has about a 5% success rate at the one-year mark... don't freak out of Dad falls off the wagon.  Lots of people fall off and get back on and fall off again.  Just remember that any time spent sober is a gift.

Good luck
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:49:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Maybe a framed photo of the two of you together?

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:50:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Find a place you can get a nice plaque with some meaningful engraving saying how you're proud of him.  Find one with a space on top for a picture of the two of you when you were younger and he was sober (even if it was only a rare sober occaison).

Try here, though there's a lot of places to get em.

www.engravingawardsgifts.com/plaques/pictureplaques.html
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:54:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Find a place you can get a nice plaque with some meaningful engraving saying how you're proud of him.  Find one with a space on top for a picture of the two of you when you were younger and he was sober (even if it was only a rare sober occaison).

Try here, though there's a lot of places to get em.

www.engravingawardsgifts.com/plaques/pictureplaques.html

Get him a very nice Bible.

Or per the above post, get him a nice plaque with the 12 steps on them, or that prayer..........

"Lord grant me the serenety to accept the things I cannot change............."  Looks really nice framed in fancy script or on a plaque.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:19:21 AM EDT
[#18]
One word: COFFEE. I'm serious.

AB
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:36:12 AM EDT
[#19]
I second the coffee suggestion, and if you really wanna do it up right get him a good size french press (pretty cheap), a burr grinder (must be a burr grinder, they run ~70), some mugs you think he'll really appreciate, and a variety of super premium blends to try out.  If he gets into it you can get him a home roasting machine for the next holiday.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:40:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Give him a nice vacation, show him the world that's available to him now that he's kicked his addiction.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top