Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:37:25 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
no good deed will go unpunished.  

until the end.  

Salvation is by deeds. Just not your deeds.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:49:02 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

until the end.  

Capitalize your sentences!

Your sentence fragment offends me.  Use and ellipsis if you intend to imply a continuation of the previous sentence.

Thank you.

Your spelling offends me.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:54:17 AM EDT
[#3]
It's amazing how unaware some people are.  Not just you, stretch415, but a lot of the people who replied to this post.  Call me crazy, but I wouldn't answer the door unarmed even if it were a girl scout.  A little situational awareness goes a long way, even in Sioux Falls.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:55:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You just got cased.

Yep.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:13:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
We have like 5 black people in south dakota so wouldnt be hard to find him

It would not be politically correct to suggest that we could send you several hundred thousand for Christmas so I won't.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:28:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I hope you have one of those door stop alarms.  They cost about 7 bucks and go off if someone forces the door open.

Also good incase management comes barging in.

Buy renters insurance.  It should be less than 200 a year in most places.  It WILL be worth it.

Yeah them fuckers took my brand new, gift from my parents who lost the reciept, plasma screen TV.  

My radar would be up, but I wouldn't worry to much.  Next time tell him you shut off your phone since you don't use it anymore.  If he asks what do you do for a phone, tell him you have a prepaid cell phone.  The prepay thing usually gets them to back off on asking to use it, since you don't get no "free" minutes.  Tell the building manager if he makes it a habit.

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:47:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
but if I did get cased why would he come back over to use the phone again. I think he just doesnt have a phone and hopefully Im right. I could hear the chick on the other end and the whole conversation made sense. I also saved the # incase something would happen

It's called "MO".  Sounds like he stumbled across a technique and is trying it out on you (use the phone while holding a baby for the whole "I'm innocent and wouldn't dare commit a crime in her presence).  I'd reverse lookup the phone number and see if you can pull an address.  Almost guarantee it's somewhere "in da hood".  Contact your landlord and see if a tenant matching his description has recently moved in.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:51:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

until the end.  

Your sentence fragment offends me.  Use and elipsis if you intend to imply a continuation of the previous sentence.

Thank you.

Did you mean "an ellipsis?"

Your atrocious spelling in the midst of what is meant to be a grammar correction offends the Hell out of me.

XOXOXOXOXO,

Your Neighborhood Spelling Fascist
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:13:12 AM EDT
[#9]
When that happens I bring the phone outside.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:18:56 AM EDT
[#10]
That happened to me last summer at my grandmother's house in Bluffton, SC.

I was up early, and at 6:30, this black girl comes to the door, crying that she needed to use the phone to find out where her ride was.

I didn't let her in, but told her my cell phone was in my truck. "Hold on, let me get my keys." Along with the keys, I took my 1911 with me, She used the phone, called her ride and left. Can't be too careful though. I was alert for a male accomplice to come out of the bushes once I was outside.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:23:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You just got cased.

That's what I was thinking.

cased? Over my head

Meaning bad guy gains entry into your home to see what kind of stuff you have, and what kind of visible security you have. Basically sizing you up to see if you are a good candidate for robbery.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:25:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
but if I did get cased why would he come back over to use the phone again. I think he just doesnt have a phone and hopefully Im right. I could hear the chick on the other end and the whole conversation made sense. I also saved the # incase something would happen

Bad guys often know how to multitask.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:27:52 AM EDT
[#13]
"casing" was my first thought as well.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:37:55 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It's called "MO".  Sounds like he stumbled across a technique and is trying it out on you (use the phone while holding a baby for the whole "I'm innocent and wouldn't dare commit a crime in her presence).  I'd reverse lookup the phone number and see if you can pull an address.  Almost guarantee it's somewhere "in da hood".  Contact your landlord and see if a tenant matching his description has recently moved in.

Reverse Lookup
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:44:06 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
"casing" was my first thought as well.

I will say that most likely the person was not casing the apartment owner, but was really just looking to use the phone.

I don't know why this is, but there seems to be a cultural phenomenon at work here. It seems that less educated black folks are most likely to ask to borrow things or to ask for just what this poster is talking about.  

It happens all the time to me at my grandmother's place. I am continually asked for money, food, you name it. It is just a common thing in their world whereas it is a shocking imposition in the cultural traditions I come from. Asking to use the phone if there is a legitimate emergency is one thing, but asking to use the phone to call your "boo" is just downright rude. Most folks are so dazed at the audacity of the request that they comply.

In fairness, I have seen white folks who have similarly annoying habits, such as the idea of just "dropping by". I have never just "dropped by" on anyone in my life, and can't think of anything more rude.

I have had folks in my grandmother's neighborhood (mostly black) ask to borrow: My lawnmower, money, jacket, boots, CAR, and least sensibly of all, MY PISTOL. I was mowing while openly carrying my Walther P99 and a kid asked if I would let him hold my gun.

I ask you: Who asks a strange man packing a 9mm if they can "hold" his weapon?
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:47:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:49:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
He's a bad guy because he is black?

TRG

No, he could very well be a bad guy because I have seen people do that EXACT thing to set someone up for robbery before.

Apparently you have never seen someone rob another person with a gun in one hand and a baby in the other.

Rest assured that it DOES happen, and an abundance of caution is warranted anytime any strange person asks you for anything.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:54:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

Quoted:
You just got cased.

cased? Over my head

Meaning bad guy gains entry into your home to see what kind of stuff you have, and what kind of visible security you have. Basically sizing you up to see if you are a good candidate for robbery.

TRG

Seeing how almost half of all BM's have been in jail or prison, just how trusting are you prepared to be?  Just to show you that I'm not a bigot, I don't trust ANYONE!  
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

until the end.  

Your sentence fragment offends me.  Use and elipsis if you intend to imply a continuation of the previous sentence.

Thank you.

Grammar Go back to DU !
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:27:09 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
You just got cased.

yep.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:30:51 AM EDT
[#21]
I've only had one person knock on my door unexpectedly. I answered the door with my USP in hand (pointed down at the ground and behind my leg, of course) turns out it was the UPS guy with a package that my wife ordered, but he knew exactly what was in my hand without having to see it.

UPS Guy: Whoa.... UPS!!
Me: Oh hey, how ya doin? (as I stuff the gun in my back pocket) Didnt mean to startle you, I'm just not used to unexpected knocks on the door.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:35:49 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You just got cased.

cased? Over my head

TRG

All people are bad, no matter what color they are. Some just haven't shown you yet.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 10:10:45 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Just don't answer the door, period! I don't give a shit if he knows you're there or not. If you ring my door bell and I look out the window, even if you see me look out the window, and I don't know you. Please, you can wait there all day long for all I care. If I don't know you and I'm not expecting you, I owe you nothing. Not even the time it takes to tell you I'm not interested!

Last year I installed a front door video phone like this that I got off eBay for around $100:

and it's great!!  It let's me see exactly who's there and tell them to get lost without opening the door.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#24]
I can't believe no one has asked about whether or not the apartment owner Drew Down yet....
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 2:43:42 PM EDT
[#25]
no i didnt as my XD40 was in the bedroom about 7 feet away. My 870 w/ 3 buckshot and 4 slugs was also behind the bedroom door. and if that failed my m4gery was in the safe with a 30rd firmly in place.

I will look into those cheap little security alarms. I though about that as I sleep very deeply and could probably be robbed without even waking up. They are pretty cheap. I wish I could arm them when I leave and disarm them when I get home somehow.

Both visits were around 7:30pm on a Thursday and Sunday night so they are common times to catch someone home. Im 90% sure its just a bummer trying to talk to his "boo". But it does worry me that he now knows what I have.

The door is deadbolted(standard apt lock). I thought about one of those chain locks that allow partial opening of the door but again dont want to be penalized for making holes in things. I would more than likely have to leave it here when I leave but for now it would be worth it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 3:04:57 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
no i didnt as my XD40 was in the bedroom about 7 feet away. My 870 w/ 3 buckshot and 4 slugs was also behind the bedroom door. and if that failed my m4gery was in the safe with a 30rd firmly in place.

Off topic, but technically, all 3 failed you because you chose to answer the door unarmed.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 3:07:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I will look into those cheap little security alarms. I though about that as I sleep very deeply and could probably be robbed without even waking up. They are pretty cheap. I wish I could arm them when I leave and disarm them when I get home somehow.

Both visits were around 7:30pm on a Thursday and Sunday night so they are common times to catch someone home. Im 90% sure its just a bummer trying to talk to his "boo". But it does worry me that he now knows what I have.

The door is deadbolted(standard apt lock). I thought about one of those chain locks that allow partial opening of the door but again dont want to be penalized for making holes in things. I would more than likely have to leave it here when I leave but for now it would be worth it.

My Home Alarm sounds just like Glass Breaking with Several Loud Pops a few seconds later..
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:49:53 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Off topic, but technically, all 3 failed you because you chose to answer the door unarmed.  

+1334658946738763
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
He was checking out your place for a robbery.

Im pretty picky about people I let in the house. I almost sent my dogs after Jehovahs witnesses on my porch one day.

[montyburns]I like that cut of that saucy fellow's jib....[montyburns]

I'm picky too. Sales types don't get the time of day from me, unless it's a Boy Scout or Girl Scout in uniform selling wreaths or cookies, and they stay in the foyer, in full view of Mom/Dad out in the car, whilst I go get $$ to buy their wares. If I don't know them, they DON'T come in. Same thing I tell my kids: if somebody comes over while I'm out NOBODY comes in the house until I come back home. NOBODY, not even (and especially not even) the police are allowed in.

Even in peaceful MA, I always have something loaded nearby, always. Some weird scams, burgalries and home invasions go on in other towns nearby, ya never know what's coming off the Interstate to your house. No chances!

There are people I know that I wont let in. My one neighbor could burn to death in my yard before I would open the door for him.

I wouldn't piss on Mr Limousine Liberal next door even if he were on fire. I'd probably go get some marshmallows and sticks, though.....
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:10:50 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
My Home Alarm sounds just like Glass Breaking with Several Loud Pops a few seconds later..

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:02:36 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I wouldn't piss on Mr Limousine Liberal next door even if he were on fire. I'd probably go get some marshmallows and sticks, though.....

He's not a "Limousine Liberal" by any means, I just have a big problem with assholes who try to tell me where my property line is a week after I had it surveyed.

Thanks for the Monty Burns compliment, by the way.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:18:36 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1334658946738763

+99999999999999999999999999

I don't even go to the john without my 1911 within hands reach.  The gun is either on my body or within grabbing reach at all times.  I live alone so it's not a big deal worrying about kids..etc.  I'm from New Orleans, so to quote Yossarian, I am probably more "paranoid....err....suspicious....err...fearfull....err...mistrustful...errr...worried....ahhh...careful..." than you are.  Chalk it down as a lesson learned...a cheap one at that.

As for alarms, check out the wireless alarms they are pretty cheap and work good.   I saw on another thread around here that Radio Shack has a cheap motion detector...might seem like a good investment.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 10:09:00 PM EDT
[#33]
I see a broken into apartment in your future my friend. YOUR DUMBASS GOT CASED

Violation of Firearm Ownership rule # 1.....NEVER LET A PERSON INTO YOUR HOME THAT YOU DON'T KNOW VERY WELL............NOT EVEN A NEIGHBOR
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 11:00:08 PM EDT
[#34]
  Cased.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:59:21 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
  Cased.

That smiley never gets old haha
I am looking into a cheap alarm system
Any other ideas that are cheap and dont cause permiant alterations of my apt. I will only be there for another year or so.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Thank you.

It seems like you are a troll..... Grammar police.....WE don't need no grammer police!
You my friend....ARE A TROLL! As such....YOU OFFEND ME!
That is all.....
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:19:20 PM EDT
[#37]
One thing I was suprised to finally realize, as I think a lot of people are, is how vulnerable you are in an apartment.  They tend to be horribly insecure, practically begging for someone to steal your stuff.  In addition to the landlord or management staff, the underpaid apartment hands and the insecticide guy have access to your apartment.  Besides that, if you're at at a sizable apartment, there are hundreds of people who have a legitimate reason to be hanging around your apartment every day.  And physically speaking, apartments tend to be easy to break in to.

The one advantage you have here is the high population density and proximity to neighbors might alert someone to a burglar.  For example, one time when I locked myself out and was climbing in through my window, some guy came over with a claw hammer to inquire about my activies.

On the other hand, I am suprised at the majority reaction by other posters.  I am not sure if everyone is being serious, but they sound like a rather creepy and reclusive bunch.  

As a practical matter, letting some weird guy use the phone probably doesn't elevate your burglary risk level much higher than it already is.  As an alternative to various antisocial methods suggested in the thread, next time he comes around, you may as well just ask him what his deal is, and share your concerns with him.  At the very least, figure out where he lives and why he doesn't have his own phone.  You might point out to him that most localities have a program that requires phone companies to subsidize phone access to the poor, as part of their common carrier responsibilities.  In any case, I'd suspect that in these sort of normal social situations, conversation is much more productive than any of your rifles.

Well, try to get out of the apartment anyway.  Besides being insecure, they're a huge waste of money.  Get a house, and turn that rent expense into equity, an investment.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:28:20 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
  Cased.

That smiley never gets old haha
I am looking into a cheap alarm system
Any other ideas that are cheap and dont cause permiant alterations of my apt. I will only be there for another year or so.

Umm, a dog?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:50:30 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
We have like 5 black people in south dakota so wouldnt be hard to find him

It would not be politically correct to suggest that we could send you several hundred thousand for Christmas so I won't.  

So wrong, yet very funny.  That almost made me wake up the my nephew.  Damn you!

-Ben
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top