Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2001 9:35:27 PM EDT
its to be used for some autobody, some metal fabrication (ie roll cage, tubular welding...mostly .125 wall) some repair of farm equipment (lawn mowers, minor tractor)

i was leaning towards a Lincoln electric MIG welder the Lincoln 175...mainly because i have heard good things about lincoln AND it has an infinitly adjustable power range...

BUT
in todays paper i saw an add for a Millermatic 185 w/aluminum spoolmate for about the price of the new Lincoln welder.  anyone familiar with these welders?  is the power range adj. the same as the lincoln?  

how do you make sure a used welder is not having problems?  (aside from welding with it)

what would you do?

Link Posted: 8/1/2001 9:44:07 PM EDT
[#1]
We have been buying Lincoln welder/generators for over 25 years at our construction company. The last one we bought hasn't been very reliable on the Lincoln end.  The motor runs fine, but we have had a lot of problems with the part that Lincoln builds, but it isn't a Mig welder.

If you get a gas powered one, pay extra for the Honda motor, its worth every penny.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 9:50:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Make sure it's not an evil Pre Ban Hi Cap Cop Killer Saturday Night Special Pocket Rocket Child Endangering Assault Welder! It's for the children!
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 10:01:38 PM EDT
[#3]
SkaerE, I've used Miller & Hobart & like them both.  If you use 1 amp per thousandth of an inch of metal to weld, you'll get a duty cycle that will let you keep going pretty fast.  TIG conversion is neat to play with.  

hth
hanko
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 4:39:13 AM EDT
[#4]
SkaerE,

I bought the Lincoln SP-175 Plus a couple of years ago just for the infinitely adjustable welding current feature.  At that time, none of the other welders would do that (Miller, Hobart) although the cheapy Century unit would.  I'd stick with Lincoln, I own two now and I've never had a bit of problem with either one of them (except for running out of rods or wire!).

Merlin
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 10:49:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Whatever you do, don't get my welder! He drank all my beer the last time he was over ;-)
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 10:53:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I tried welding once.  While I was at the hospital the doctor told me that they make leather gloves to protect your hands.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 11:03:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#8]
lincoln is going to be your best bet,take it from me. PIPEFITTER!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top