Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/29/2005 7:52:52 PM EDT
Any members, or supporters, of the John Birch Society here??

Anybody here even know WHO John Birch WAS??!!!

>==================<  (exerpt)

John Birch: A Patriotic Exemplar

by William Norman Grigg

Like many of the noble souls associated with America's founding, John Morrison Birch was a man rooted in principles that transcend politics. In a "prose poem" written at age 26, John Birch gave voice to his Jefferson-esque longing to "live slowly, to relax with my family before a glowing fireplace ... to enjoy a good book ... to reach the sunset of my life sound in body and mind, flanked by strong sons and grandsons...." Regrettably, John Birch's tireless service to God and liberty denied him such irenic pleasures.

At the age of seven, Birch expressed a desire to become a Christian missionary. Upon learning of the violence inflicted upon missionaries by Chinese communists, the youngster selected China as his mission field. When cautioned by his pastor that "more will be killed" in China, Birch replied: "I know the big enemy is communism, but the Lord has called me. My life is in his hands, and I am not turning back."

Birch's labors in China began in 1940, a time when the country was being ravaged by the Japanese military. After Pearl Harbor he dyed his hair black, adopted the garb of the local population, and continued his underground work behind enemy lines.

The biography of a young American who was brutally murdered by the Chinese Communists in 1945, ten days after the end of World War II. John Birch has been called the first casualty of World War III. “With his death and in his death the battle lines were drawn, in a struggle from which either Communism or Christian-style civilization must emerge with one completely triumphant, the other completely destroyed.” (1960 ed, 135pp, pb) [Order] [Checkout]

While near the border of Japanese-occupied territory on the evening of April 19, 1942, Birch came upon Colonel James H. Doolittle and members of the raiding party that had just completed a dramatic bombing raid on Tokyo. With his encyclopedic knowledge of the language, customs, and geography of China, Birch was able to convey Doolittle and the crews of 12 American bombers to safety in free China.

Shortly thereafter, Birch became an intelligence analyst as a second lieutenant with the China Air Task Force -- General Claire Chennault's legendary "Flying Tigers." Performing high-risk intelligence-gathering missions on the ground, Birch acted as "the eyes of the 14th Air Force," devising an early warning system that enabled U.S. air units to come to the aid of Chinese units under enemy attack. He also organized a rescue system for pilots who were shot down by the Japanese. Chennault credited Birch with the fact that 90 percent of his downed flyers were rescued.

On August 25, 1945 -- ten days after the end of WWII -- Birch (by then a captain) was part of an official military mission to Suchow that was detained by Chinese communists. Captain Birch and another man were separated from their group and shot. An autopsy later demonstrated that after Birch had been immobilized by a gunshot to the leg, his hands were tied behind his back and he was shot execution-style in the back of his head. The communists had also desecrated Birch's dead body.

In its desire to depict the Red Chinese as innocuous "agrarian reformers," the U.S. government suppressed the news of the unprovoked murder of Captain Birch. It fell upon Robert Welch to rescue the memory of this selfless Christian patriot from the shameful oblivion to which it had been assigned. In December 1958, Welch named the new organization he created the John Birch Society to preserve the memory of this patriotic exemplar. Wrote Mr. Welch, "If we rediscover some of our sounder spiritual values in the example of his life ... and learn essential truths about our enemy from the lesson of his murder, then his death at twenty-six ceases to be a tragedy."
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#1]
i'm not a member, but i like the jbs
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#2]
John Birch Society
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:35:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I know alot of birchers personally, great people, and a great organization, I reccomend joining JBS and TNA (The New American) it's their magazine that they put out.

www.jbs.org

www.thenewamerican.com
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:36:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Every John Bircher I've ever run into has been a raving conspiracy theory lunatic.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Every John Bircher I've ever run into has been a raving conspiracy theory lunatic.

Let me guess you've ran into 99% of the people in the organization or just the ones that are a bit off?

On a side note, what is wrong with conspiracy's?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#6]
That's funny. I'm in Political Science Senior Seminar this semester - we're looking at conspiracy theories. The book we just read mentioned how JBSers are quite paranoid, and are prone to believing conspiracy theories.

The funniest thing is my dad was a "Bircher" in the 70s and 80s. He just gave me two boxes full of the "New American" (old copies and recent ones).

For what it's worth, I think the JBS has many valid points, but I don't agree with everything they say.

There is nothing wrong with conspiracies, as they are sometimes real, but there is a line that is often crossed when coming up with some that I've heard.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:43:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
That's funny. I'm in Political Science Senior Seminar this semester - we're looking at conspiracy theories. The book we just read mentioned how JBSers are quite paranoid, and are prone to conspiracy theories.

The funniest thing is my dad was a "Bircher" in the 70s and 80s. He just gave me two boxes full of the "New American" (old copies and recent ones).

For what it's worth, I think the JBS has many valid points, but I don't agree with everything they say.

Funny how a book stereotypes a group of people... that sounds like something I'd want to read... or gather information from.

You're lucky to have those TNA's, good magazines :) You can learn something from issues that are 10 years old. Since I'm a bircher, I'm prone to be paranoid and conspiracys? Interesting.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#8]

That's how I feel about the republican and libertarian parties.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Are you a member of the JBS?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, but I had a friend turn me on to them in the early-90s and I had a TNA subscription on/off for the past decade or so. Its about time I got another one.

Much of the stuff, like global warming, covered in those early issues of TNA are coming true today. As a matter of fact, on today's DrudgeReport, there was an article about AlGore's newest book about global warming - and two articles about freezing/snow, one in Europe the other in Hawaii.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:48:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Have you ever been a member of the JBS? Because I think you should become a member see what they're all about before being critical :)
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:49:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me guess you've ran into 99% of the people in the organization or just the ones that are a bit off?

I have no idea what percentage I've run into.  I went to a couple meetings with my parents in the 80s and they were ripe with the whole Illuminati-Freemasons-Antichrist thing, with a satanic conspiracy that went back to the time of Adam.  What's wrong with that?  It's fucking INSANE is what's wrong with it.  Besides those encounters, I've run into a few at gunshows who were going on about the Russian troops being brought in to take our guns away and put us in concentration camps that were being built in Arizona...
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:50:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, but I had a friend turn me on to them in the early-90s and I had a TNA subscription on/off for the past decade or so. Its about time I got another one.

Much of the stuff, like global warming, covered in those early issues of TNA are coming true today. As a matter of fact, on today's DrudgeReport, there was an article about AlGore's newest book about global warming - and two articles about freezing/snow, one in Europe the other in Hawaii.

TNA is very good! You should join the JBS and get another TNA subscription, LOTS of good stuff in it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:53:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have no idea what percentage I've run into.  I went to a couple meetings with my parents in the 80s and they were ripe with the whole Illuminati-Freemasons-Antichrist thing, with a satanic conspiracy that went back to the time of Adam.  What's wrong with that?  It's fucking INSANE is what's wrong with it.  Besides those encounters, I've run into a few at gunshows who were going on about the Russian troops being brought in to take our guns away and put us in concentration camps that were being built in Arizona...

That last part I could see being a turn-off, but hardly worth evidence for condemning all of us that are members and are not insane. I will agree there are kooks out there, but just because you belong to the JBS, does NOT make you a kook.

What do you know about the Illuminati? There is ALOT to know about them. You should check out a meeting, see what it's like see if it's how you seem to remember it was. They're not bad people, they're patriotic Americans of which are fighting for our Constitutional rights.

I'm just saying don't stereotype us... would it help if I sent you a copy of TNA? (my dime of course)?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:54:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That's funny. I'm in Political Science Senior Seminar this semester - we're looking at conspiracy theories. The book we just read mentioned how JBSers are quite paranoid, and are prone to conspiracy theories.

Funny how a book stereotypes a group of people... that sounds like something I'd want to read... or gather information from.

You're lucky to have those TNA's, good magazines :) You can learn something from issues that are 10 years old. Since I'm a bircher, I'm prone to be paranoid and conspiracys? Interesting.

'
I know, it is funny how liberals tend to stereotype. The book was "Political Paranoia." The authors' last names were Robins and Post.

It also talked about how paranoid the "Islamofascists" are - believing that the whole non-Muslim world is bent on bringing down the religion of Islam, so they have to strike first.

Disturbingly, the authors equated members of the "militia movement" of the 90s with "domestic terrorists" like Timothy McVeigh. [On a side note, the New American did a series of articles showing that McVeigh was only a gov't patsy, and there are many holes in the now official story of the OK City bombing].

The authors gave a  quote from John Trochman, co-founder of the Militia of Montana, which I thought was funny because my dad started the Helena, MT chapter of the M.O.M. in 1994, and I got to meet him and his brother, Dave Trochman (the other co-founder).
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:56:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

'
I know it is funny how liberals tend to stereotype. The book was "Political Paranoia." The authors' last names were Robins and Post.

It also talked about how paranoid the "Islamofascists" are - believing that the whole non-Muslim world is bent on bringing down the religion of Islam, so they have to strike first.

Disturbingly, the authors equated members of the "militia movement" of the 90s with "domestic terrorists" like Timothy McVeigh. [On a side note, the New American did a series of articles showing that McVeigh was only a gov't patsy, and there are many holes in the now official story of the OK City bombing].

The authors gave a  quote from John Trochman, co-founder of the Militia of Montana, which I thought was funny because my dad started the Helena, MT chapter of the M.O.M., and I got to meet him and his brother, Dave Trochman (the other co-founder).

You seem intelligent, and well-informed, you should join the JBS. Research us out, talk to some of the higher ups, you'll see that we're not paranoid (to a degree ;) ) and that we're very patriotic people.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:02:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
What do you know about the Illuminati? There is ALOT to know about them.

You can't be serious...
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

'
I know it is funny how liberals tend to stereotype. The book was "Political Paranoia." The authors' last names were Robins and Post.

The authors gave a  quote from John Trochman, co-founder of the Militia of Montana, which I thought was funny because my dad started the Helena, MT chapter of the M.O.M., and I got to meet him and his brother, Dave Trochman (the other co-founder).

You seem intelligent, and well-informed, you should join the JBS. Research us out, talk to some of the higher ups, you'll see that we're not paranoid (to a degree ;) ) and that we're very patriotic people.

Thanks for the compliment.

I understand that the JBS isn't paranoid, I simply pointed out that the authors of the book I read think you are.

Like I said earlier, while growing up my dad was a firm believer, and most of that has rub off on me.

However, I've noticed some of the things weren't proven to the degree I would need to believe all of it [things like the concentration camps in Nebraska and other rural areas].

I have no doubt that the JBS is a fine bunch of patriots, and I'm with you on that, I just don't have time to research the JBS and participate in your organization (undergrad senior, law school next year, and five kids at home).

P.S. I sometimes use articles from TNA as evidence for arguments in class.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:06:07 PM EDT
[#19]
tag

HH
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:07:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can't be serious...

I'd be happy to send you a free copy of The New American, to check out for yourself. If you're interested. It's 100% free, all I ask is that you read a page or two :) You may change your mind.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:08:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can't be serious...

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

'

Thanks for the compliment.

I understand that the JBS isn't paranoid, I simply pointed out that the authors of the book I read think you are.

Like I said earlier, while growing up my dad was a firm believer, and most of that has rub off on me.

However, I've noticed some of the things weren't proven to the degree I would need to believe all of it [things like the concentration camps in Nebraska and other rural areas].

I have no doubt that the JBS is a fine bunch of patriots, and I'm with you on that, I just don't have time to research the JBS and participate in your organization (undergrad senior, law school next year, and five kids at home).

P.S. I sometimes use articles from TNA as evidence for arguments in class.

I understand your time is precious and well taken up, I hope law school goes well for you! I was thinking about going for political science or something along those lines. If you ever need a new copy of TNA, let me know I'd be happy to send you one for free :)
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:22:39 PM EDT
[#23]
In the 70s if you said conspiracy you were talking about the Birchers. (Look who uses the word today!)  They all had signs in their yards that said - "Get U.S. Out of the UN".  The far left media knew the JBS was a threat to their agenda and cleverly painted them and the KKK with the same brush.  The stigma sticks still today.

I never joined but went to a couple of meetings and speeches in the 70s with some good friends.  Every dire prediction they made has come true.  In fact at that time the CFR was denounced as a kook theory of the JBS.  We now know better.  

I fully believe Larry McDonald (D-GA) would have been the next Ronald Reagan had the far left not shot down the 747, flight 007, that he was on.  Brilliant man (MD) with the savvy to not come across as a fanatic.  The book "Flight 007" is a good read.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:46:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
In the 70s if you said conspiracy you were talking about the Birchers. (Look who uses the word today!)  They all had signs in their yards that said - "Get U.S. Out of the UN".  The far left media knew the JBS was a threat to their agenda and cleverly painted them and the KKK with the same brush.  The stigma sticks still today.

I never joined but went to a couple of meetings and speeches in the 70s with some good friends.  Every dire prediction they made has come true.  In fact at that time the CFR was denounced as a kook theory of the JBS.  We now know better.  

I fully believe Larry McDonald (D-GA) would have been the next Ronald Reagan had the far left not shot down the 747, flight 007, that he was on.  Brilliant man (MD) with the savvy to not come across as a fanatic.  The book "Flight 007" is a good read.

Agreed. The term conspiracy is used too widely, and "tinfoil hattery"

All I ask is that you give us a chance :)
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:37:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:47:20 PM EDT
[#26]
As a side note, General Claire Chennault's legendary "Flying Tigers" was the Volunteer Unit that flew in China prior to America's joining WW2.  They were the ones with the shark mouths painted on the nose of their P-40B's.  Once the war started, Chennault led the 14th AF.  The 23rd FG claimed lineage from the FT's, but they were a different group.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:59:40 PM EDT
[#27]

AH , the " Illuminati " .  Interesting that they would come up in this conversation .
That also led to the " International Bankers " and their control of monetary systems .
 Look it up , and see just who these people are .  If I say it ,  most of you will freak out .

AW ,  I'll go ahead and say it ----  ZIONIST JEWS !!!!!!

yeeehhaaa  -  LET ER RIP !!!!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:04:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:07:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:11:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Strange.  I have never heard of it until now.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#31]
 'I'm a faithful follower of Brother John Birch,I belong to Antioch Bapist church and I don't even own a garage you can call home and ask my wife!"
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:26:46 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
 'I'm a faithful follower of Brother John Birch,I belong to Antioch Bapist church and I don't even own a garage you can call home and ask my wife!"

good song
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I have to take a guess - Charlie Daniels?

If it's even him, I don't know the name of the song.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
home.earthlink.net/~bircher/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/IMG_1715.jpg

I like that sign, and I know someone that still displays that in their yard (same size too) after 20+ years, but it doesn't have the phone number on it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#35]
+1

ibtl
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:33:48 PM EDT
[#36]
My dad was a mamber. I remember going to meetings with him as a little boy back in the '60s.

The meetings were with, IIRC, three other members who were neighbors.

One of the members thought that "we" would be invaded by the Soviets and have to resist. My dad thought the guy was nuts, and FWIW, my dad and the other two members were not wearing any tin foil hats.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:40:57 PM EDT
[#37]
My brother actually met JIMMY DOOLITTLE when he was on a 'canned' goose  hunting trip.   (You know, "Raid on Tokyo")  Well, thinking about it, I thought it would have been cool to ask 'Jimmy' what he remembered of John Birch!

Birch, over six feet tall, spoke several dialects of Chinese well enough to pass himself off as Chinese.  This was one reason he was inducted into the American intelligence community.

It was Birch, through a strange twist of fate, who helped smuggle the American bomber crews out of China, after the Tokyo raid.  

I know this was talked about in the post, but it was really a  huge coincidence, and a stroke of luck for the bomber crews, some of which were badly injured.  The Chinese resistance leader came in with a tall Chinese man, who turned out to be an American -- John Birch.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:32:08 PM EDT
[#38]
I do agree withalot of what they say but like the libertarions  a small amount of there group has made the rest look like a bunch of loons.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:43:28 AM EDT
[#39]
They had a bill board up on Hwy 27. Hurricane Charlie blew it down last year. I hope they put it back up.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:29:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Didn't the John Birch Society just about tear itself apart last year?  I remember reading something about that.

As to the government covering up a murder of an American by a communist country, I can believe it.  The government covered up the deliberate, not accitental, murder of 34 American sailors by the Isreal in 1967.   They will cover up anything it is politically expedient.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:31:25 AM EDT
[#41]
In my experience, Birchers are strongly patriotic, anti-communist, pro-liberty, and unwavering supporters of the Constitution as written by our Founders.

I hung out with some Birchers for a while, back around '90.

While much of the conspiracy speculation has enough support to sound credible, after a time it got a bit overwhelming for me.  Every time I mentioned a conservative commentator, talk-show host, or pundit, I was answered with, "He's in on it, too!"  It seemed a tad paranoid that everyone I thought was a good, conservative, pro-capitalism, anti-socialism icon was part of the conspiracy to subjugate the United States.

I do not see the JBS as a threat to the USA or our liberty.  They are not racist, nor subversive.  They are on target with most issues, particularly when it comes to the UN.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:36:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Each to his own,

I lived with a JB family for a year. Let's see what I can remember from the meetings.

Floridation was a communist plot. (They must love Dr. Strangelove now)
Johnson had Kennedy killed.
The Beatles albums, played in reverse, hid communist propaganda.
Milk and cheese has some scary substance, forget what.
Plots galore.

I made the mistake of bringing a black friend over during a meeting... not good.

Imo, loons. But honest loons that take good care of their family.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:36:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Spyda - every statement you've made is the exact opposite of my experience with the JBS.  Your comments sound more like the left's talking points.  Where did you read that crap?  NYT or LAT?
The first JBS speaker I heard was a black man.  This was in the late 70s and it was the most impressive talk I have ever heard.  The JBS doesn't care what color you are.  They care about liberty.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:37:44 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Spyda - every statement you've made is the exact opposite of my experience with the JBS.  Your comments sound more like the left's talking points.  Where did you read that crap?  NYT or LAT?
The first JBS speaker I heard was a black man.  This was in the late 70s and it was the most impressive talk I have ever heard.  The JBS doesn't care what color you are.  They care about liberty.

And the Illuminati.  And the Trilateralists.  And the Bilderbergers.  And the Freemasons.  And...  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:42:11 AM EDT
[#45]
For most of the conspiracy theorists I know, the JBS is not nearly crazy enough.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:52:09 AM EDT
[#46]
I have an uncle who was a member in the 70's...Think I'll check it out...
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:09:05 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Sounds like the ones I've met/known.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:10:38 AM EDT
[#48]
I was briefly a member ten years ago, and affiliated with the Orange County CA chapter.  I volunteered one saturday each month to work in their bookstore.  They are good people, with a wealth of corporate knowledge concerning things that most of their countrymen couldn't care less about.

It is my understanding that the organization has been poorly lead and/or managed over the past decade or two.  Depends upon who you ask..

Like any group in existence, if you are looking for a kook in which to discredit it, you will find one.  I think that if you were to look into the matter, you would find that a lot of the flaky stuff attributed to the JBS was never an official position of theirs.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:12:05 AM EDT
[#49]
I just received a bunch of hate Bush and get us out of Iraq literature from them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:14:13 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I just received a bunch of hate Bush and get us out of Iraq literature from them.

Yep, that's about typical for that snotrag "The New American."
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top