Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/19/2005 7:14:10 AM EDT

http://www.movieweb.com/movies/film.php?3199

Looks pretty bad....not even fimed at USNA.

NavyDoc, USNA '91
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 7:40:20 AM EDT
[#1]
It should say "Annapolis: Where snobby ring-knockers are born, and SWOs with poor leadership skills are made."

I'm sure there are some good ones out there, but while I was in I never served under any officer who was worth his salt that had gone to the academy.

ETA: No offense toward you NavyDoc...you're on ARFCOM, so you must be one of the good ones
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 7:40:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Ringknockers..
J/K

Link Posted: 10/19/2005 7:41:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Damn!..  kaizoku beat me by two seconds.
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 7:42:15 AM EDT
[#4]
hehe
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 7:44:32 AM EDT
[#5]
It's a movie, you shouldn't expect too much.
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 7:44:35 AM EDT
[#6]
That's cool that they could get both of the Blue Angel teams to do a fly-by for the poster.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 7:45:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I do think my prior enlisted USMC time beat any potential snobbyness out of me!

Link Posted: 10/19/2005 7:45:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Hollywood must be pretty low on material.  A movie about snotty-nosed Midshipmen?
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 7:46:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I wasn't aware that it was common to have 48,800 people die from not making it through the "Academy".

Shouldn't there be an easy administrative alternative to not surviving the thing?  Jesus.

I'll write my Congresswoman about this.
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 7:47:30 AM EDT
[#10]
It should read. Only the people who can put up with a whole load of bullshit survive.
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 7:54:11 AM EDT
[#11]
One of the guys in my pilot training class was a Midshipman, infact, he played baseball there.  Totally laid back dude.  

On the other hand, I know plenty of USAFA grads, and more than a few of them thought they were all that.
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 7:58:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I wasn't aware that it was common to have 48,800 people die from not making it through the "Academy".

Shouldn't there be an easy administrative alternative to not surviving the thing?  Jesus.

You've never been forced to eat "hamsters" in King Hall, I take it........the Academy is lucky not to have a 100% casualty rate.

Looks like, from the trailer, that 0% of the film was filmed at the academy.

As for "snot nosed"....I've known all types....prior enlisteds w combat experience, kids from wealth, poor kids, etc...

Takes all kinds.
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 7:59:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I worked for both, the elitist snobs and the down to earth types.  Guess which one got more out of me.

Back in the day, we taped up one of the down to earth types.  It was a battle, but we chicken winged his ass.  He took it in stride.
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 8:05:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

As for "snot nosed"....I've known all types....prior enlisteds w combat experience, kids from wealth, poor kids, etc...

Takes all kinds.

Just giving you a hard time, Doc.  My Dad wanted me to go to the Academy pretty bad.  I didn't want to do 4 years of boot camp so I did 4 years active and got a direct commission.  I respect your fortitude in making it through that stuff...but, you have to admit...a movie?
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 8:06:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Where the hell did you get that from?
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 8:12:16 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
One of the guys in my pilot training class was a Midshipman, infact, he played baseball there.  Totally laid back dude.  

On the other hand, I know plenty of USAFA grads, and more than a few of them thought they were all that.

You go girl!

I did not know Oprah posted here
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 8:15:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

survive (sər-vīv')

v.intr.

1. To remain alive or in existence.

Link Posted: 10/19/2005 8:15:32 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

+1

I wonder how they all die?

Starvation, disease, accident, or just a single pistol shot to the back of the head "execution style".

Maybe it's nautical theme, like they walk the plank.  Getting keel-hauled on a guided missle cruiser would probably be fatal.
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 8:23:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You go girl!

I did not know Oprah posted here

Let it go.  It's the internet.
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 8:25:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Uh...only the best out of 1200 "survive," guys...the 48,800 don't even get the chance to try.

Link Posted: 10/19/2005 8:28:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

survive (sər-vīv')

v.intr.

1. To remain alive or in existence.

RIF.
50,000 apply.
1,200 are accpeted.
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 9:38:09 AM EDT
[#22]
BTT for Zaphod
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 9:41:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Hey, Navy Doc, I got his pain here.................
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 10:28:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Ah....... a movie about the "PRICK FACTORY"!!!!  

I can say that most, not all, of the the Naval Academy graduates I served under were pretty useless, but those who were good were very good. I think from what I have read about NavyDoc1, he is one of the "great" ones!!

Semper Fi,
ASO544
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 1:28:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Ah....... a movie about the "PRICK FACTORY"!!!!  

I can say that most, not all, of the the Naval Academy graduates I served under were pretty useless, but those who were good were very good. I think from what I have read about NavyDoc1, he is one of the "great" ones!!

Semper Fi,
ASO544

LOL Devil Dog!

I wouldn't say "great"!  How about "tolerable!"
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
It should say "Annapolis: Where snobby ring-knockers are born, and SWOs with poor leadership skills are made."

I'm sure there are some good ones out there, but while I was in I never served under any officer who was worth his salt that had gone to the academy.

ETA: No offense toward you NavyDoc...you're on ARFCOM, so you must be one of the good ones

Yeah, I guess the Chairman and the Vice Chairman aren't worth "their salt".

Gen Pace bio

Admiral Giambastiani bio

H-46, USNA '89
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 3:48:15 PM EDT
[#27]
My son and all of his friends at NAPS plan on seeing it    They already know that it wasn't filmed there and won't be a realistic picture of life at the academy.  Their whole battalion went down their last week for five days and all he kept saying was how bad it sucked but he still plans on attending.
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 3:50:02 PM EDT
[#28]
I was NROTC, not USNA, but even I'm embarassed at this movie.

The Navy took a look at the script and said "Nooooo way". The scenes look nothing like the Academy.
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 3:52:29 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I was NROTC, not USNA, but even I'm embarassed at this movie.

The Navy took a look at the script and said "Nooooo way". The scenes look nothing like the Academy.

From what I have read, it was an unflattering portrayal at best.
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 3:55:58 PM EDT
[#30]
I never had a wanna-be ring-knocker treat me like crap during their summer outings.
Something happens when they put on the butter bars....

Officers, can't live with 'em and can't shoot 'em.
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 3:58:17 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I never had a wanna-be ring-knocker treat me like crap during their summer outings.
Something happens when they put on the butter bars....

Officers, can't live with 'em and can't shoot 'em.

What's that whine coming from the back of the bird...  
Link Posted: 10/20/2005 7:43:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Good grief. NOT filmed at USNA?

It must suck something fierce for the Nav to have turned down permission to film on-site.

Yeesh.

As for the place being a prick factory, etc., all I will say is that some of the finest and some of the worst officers I ever met came from my beloved alma mater. Some people really ruin it for the rest.

Zaphod (USNA '91)

ETA: From the website: "The Story: About a boy (Franco) from the wrong side of the tracks whose dream of attending the U.S. Naval Academy becomes a reality. Brewster plays an upper classman who helps Franco's character train in the ring as the two fall for each other, even though it is a violation of academic policy."

Sweet Jesus!

Link Posted: 10/20/2005 7:45:40 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I wouldn't say "great"!  How about "tolerable!"

HA! And he doesn't actually know you!
Link Posted: 10/20/2005 7:52:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/20/2005 8:12:21 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Your turn.
We had to put up with that drivel, The General's Daughter.

I had forgotten I'd seen that POS.
Link Posted: 10/20/2005 8:56:20 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
It should read. Only the people who can put up with a whole load of bullshit survive.

+1
Link Posted: 10/20/2005 12:36:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Mustangs forever!

The officers don't make the Navy work well, anyway.  It's the Chiefs.
Link Posted: 10/20/2005 2:18:39 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

The officers don't make the Navy work well, anyway.  It's the Chiefs.

A-fucking-men, brother!

All of you who are thinking of becoming officers, heed the advice above and apply it to whoever your senior NCO's are.

You take care of them, and they'll take care of you!

Hail to the Chiefs!
Link Posted: 10/20/2005 2:58:25 PM EDT
[#39]
When it opens, I'll go with a friend "Class of 90" and see what he thinks about it.  I saw the trailer a few weeks ago...  It appeared to be ok.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2005 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
It appeared to be ok.  

Lynch him!
Link Posted: 10/20/2005 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

While I can't really speak for the SWO community (which i view as generally disgruntled - officer or otherwise), I'd say the ringknockers I fly with in the aviation community are generally great officers.  

the only common thing among those officers - other than the academy - is you.  I have to wonder what your evals looked like and just what those officers would have to say about you were we to ask them.  The simplest answer is generally the right one.  
Matt
USNA '01
Link Posted: 10/20/2005 4:16:49 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

While I can't really speak for the SWO community (which i view as generally disgruntled - officer or otherwise).

Disgruntled and proud of it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2005 4:19:45 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Only guys I know who are proud of their misery.... oh wait, Marines too.

<--- loves his mandatory Crew Rest/Crew Day periods.
Link Posted: 10/20/2005 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only guys I know who are proud of their misery.... oh wait, Marines too.

I can't wait to get back to sea duty either. Living an aviator's life on shore duty is killing me.

Of course, I'll probably die at 45.
Link Posted: 10/20/2005 4:24:06 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

+1
Matt
Link Posted: 10/20/2005 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

It must suck something fierce for the Nav to have turned down permission to film on-site.

Yeesh.

Yep.
It's a known fact that The Navy will suck a mile of dick just to get a "Navy" movie or TV show made.  They nutted-up for 'Top Gun' and "JAG"-off, why not for this thing?
Link Posted: 10/20/2005 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeesh.

Yep.
It's a known fact that The Navy will suck a mile of dick just to get a "Navy" movie or TV show made.  They nutted-up for 'Top Gun' and "JAG"-off, why not for this thing?

Because it depicted an organization that implicitly, if not explicitly, endorsed fraternization and hazing in the Brigade of Midshipmen.
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 4:55:14 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted: They nutted-up for 'Top Gun'
I bet Top Gun was a boon for the recruiters!

[teethbite] "Dangerous" [/teethbite]
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#49]
I heard that they are called bell-ringers a few days after they attend BUD/S
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted: They nutted-up for 'Top Gun'
I bet Top Gun was a boon for the recruiters!
www.planetkilmer.com/valbum/tg_album/tg_14.jpg
[teethbite] "Dangerous" [/teethbite]

Yep.
Thousands of dumbasses are still wondering when it's their turn to fly the Tomcat.
"Shuddap and keep scrapin', Swabbie!"
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top