Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2005 12:17:11 PM EDT
My brother lives in Dutchess County in upstate NY (about 1.5 hours north of NYC). Him and his wife have a really cool, friendly, social cat they got from an ASPCA. The cat never goes outside as my brother's wife (NYC liberal J.A.P. pacifist vegetarian) is afraid something will kill it.

They have the normal wildlife found in upstate NY on his 5 acres consisting of whitetail deer, wild turkey (got one on opening day a few years back), raccoons, possums, etc.

Question. Would something other than humans be likely to kill this domestic cat, or could it handle itself? How long would it last?

Discuss.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:18:33 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
My brother lives in Dutchess County in upstate NY (about 1.5 hours north of NYC). Him and his wife have a really cool, friendly, social cat they got from an ASPCA. The cat never goes outside as my brother's wife (NYC liberal J.A.P. pacifist vegetarian) is afraid something will kill it.

They have the normal wildlife found in upstate NY on his 5 acres consisting of whitetail deer, wild turkey (got one on opening day a few years back), raccoons, possums, etc.

Question. Would something other than humans be likely to kill this domestic cat, or could it handle itself? How long would it last?

Discuss.

The cat would probably become prey to a coyote, fox, bobcat, great horned owl, eagle, or other wild predator in a very short time.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I bet you it won't last more than a week or two at most.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:20:41 PM EDT
[#3]
My grandparents have a family of stray cats that live in the woods behind their house. Every now and then one gets eaten by a cougar.

They're not strictly wild cats, my grandparents put food out for them, but they live outside all the time.

This is in northeastern WA, up by the border.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:21:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Discuss.

The cat would probably become prey to a coyote, fox, bobcat, great horned owl, eagle, or other wild predator in a very short time.

Add dogs, cars, that crazy neighbor with the lazy eye...

Want to keep it safe, keep it in the house

EPOCH
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:21:10 PM EDT
[#5]
In northern PA it is rarely a problem.  If you leave your cat out at night there is slight chance that it could get attacked by a bear, coyote, fox, or owl.  In the day you really only have to worry about problems with dogs and people.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:21:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

That's about it in a nutshell.  Domestic cats are just that. Domestic.

I may not like the woman's politics, but she's right about her cat.  The SEC never left the house unless it was on a leash with me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:18:48 PM EDT
[#7]
lots of feral cats in eastern MA - many fall prey to yotes, coons,

or dogs

I would say the life expectancy of a feral cat is pretty short.

BTW the kittens are all with owners now and won't be outdoor cats

I kind of wish Scooter had not killed the momma - the place is getting over run with squirels, chipmunks etc.. again

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:27:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I've seen a couple fights between a cat and a coon. Both times the cat won.
Coyotes take them pretty easy though.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:28:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Discuss.

Yup - not to mention, that in this part of the country, I doubt it could survive the elements between December and March...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:29:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#11]
There is a risk, but most cats are smart enough to find a safe place at night. There are coyotes around here and the neighbors cat has been a mostly outdoor cat for 6 years now. She's pretty smart though. A dumb cat won't last long.  I recommend letting Darwin do his work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top