Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2005 7:40:02 AM EDT
My girlfriend has been using my truck since her car is in the garage.  She got off work last night and one of the tires was really low so instead of calling me she used a can of fix-o-flat to reinflate it.  What should I do about the shit inside the tire from the fix-o-flat?  Will it through the tire out of balance?  Any help appreciated...Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:46:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:56:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:02:04 AM EDT
[#3]
If she followed the instructions on the can of the tire sealant, there should not be a problem with balance. Still, it's a temporary repair, and the tire should be repaired properly as soon as practical. The danger in working on tires that have been injected with these sealants is that some products use isobutane or similar propellants, and can pose an explosion hazard.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:14:16 AM EDT
[#4]
AND, teach her how to change a tire.

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Use the fix-O-flat on her and see how SHE likes it !  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:22:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Whenever I had a guy bring in a tire that had fix-o-flat in it, there was an extra charge for cleaning up all that crap off the tire machine.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:01:33 AM EDT
[#7]
No hole in tire...she "thought" it looked low.  Pressure was at 30 psi as recommended on the inside of the drivers door.  She pretty much used it to "air up" the tire.  Damn women..... Is it necessary to have the tire taken off the rim and cleaned up, or just let it go?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:05:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I keep a can with me and only would use it under certain circumstances like flat tire in a really bad neighborHOOD, Interstate at night and raining, or other emergency.  I've had 3 flats and changed the tire in all three.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:15:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I did a short stint as a tire monkey when I got out of the military. We would not repair a tire that had fix-o-flat in it. The repair patch would not bond well after this crap was used.
You can try to get it reaired by someone, but you might just end up buying a new tire. In the future, only use this crap as a very, very last resort.

Good luck
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:15:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Your girlfriend isn't very intelligent.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:18:08 AM EDT
[#11]
sorry to say dude, that fix a flat is nasty stuff. it will rust out the rim of your wheel. lot's of times people end up having to get a new wheel.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:19:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Your girlfriend isn't very intelligent.

No shit...you aint the first to say that...

On the other hand...If it really would have been low I'd rather her have used it than drive around and ruin the tire.  

1 tire = one case of wolf .223  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:23:47 AM EDT
[#13]
If it's your girlfriends car, why is it your problem?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:26:12 AM EDT
[#14]
My truck....she was borrowing while hers is in the garage because a wheel bearing went out.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:27:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
sorry to say dude, that fix a flat is nasty stuff. it will rust out the rim of your wheel. lot's of times people end up having to get a new wheel.

If you're sure about ur info I'll just have it taken off and cleaned... any other confirming info?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:31:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Do you still have the can? If so see what the propellant was. It's (IIRC) usually Butane.

I would at least airdown the tire and reinflate.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:33:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Thats okay, my GF aint to bright when it comes to cars either. I have her trained to never attempt any repairs on her own and to never jump start anyone, I don't care if it's GWB!
She calls and I come to the rescue with toolbox. kind of like AAA.      
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:37:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Thats okay, my GF aint to bright when it comes to cars either. I have her trained to never attempt any repairs on her own and to never jump start anyone, I don't care if it's GWB!

I wish she would have called...I was still at work so she was worried about me having to call off early...
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:42:32 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wish she would have called...I was still at work so she was worried about me having to call off early...

Cause that would've been terrible

My GF is pretty good about car stuff, but she does have her moments.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:16:11 PM EDT
[#20]
The chance of an explosion is small.

If it is an aluminum wheel, clean that shit out as fast as you can. One of the primary ingredients is ammonia.

We all know that ammonia eats aluminum, right?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:19:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top