Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2005 8:32:42 AM EDT
Wasn't Virginia on the verge of passing a law making sheriffs, ect sign off on NFA weapons ?

CRC
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 11:23:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd like to see that in Florida. By state law we can have Silencer/suppresors and MG's but a LOT of the Sheriffs will NOT sign of 'cause of their lawyers or they are anti-gun. IMO Sign offs should be mandatory.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 11:27:04 AM EDT
[#2]
It's none of the CLEO buisness anyway.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 11:33:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

The sign off is nothing more then to say if it is legal to posses the item in yer city/state/county. If you want to be nice and let them keep a copy of the form thats your business, but they have no right to keep one. In the end they may be keeping a copy of a form that ends up not being approved anyway, so it does them no good really to keep a copy.

Yes I feel the CLEO should be required to sign the form if there is nothing preventing the person from owning/possesing the weapon(not a felon, no DC convictions or what have you) no local laws against it etc.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 11:37:10 AM EDT
[#4]
uh, someone needs to check but I believe there is case law out of Broward county, FL which required the CLEO to sign off unless they had a valid reason not to (ie...criminal history, etc)

Someone got the case on that?

might want to ask over in the full auto section.

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 11:46:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
uh, someone needs to check but I believe there is case law out of Broward county, FL which required the CLEO to sign off unless they had a valid reason not to (ie...criminal history, etc)

Someone got the case on that?

might want to ask over in the full auto section.

But on what level? State or federal? A state ruling while helpful won't hold as much weight as a federal ruling.

There is nothing I'd like more then to go to my sheriff with a form1 for an SBS and show him that ruleing, as he has decided to no longer sign off on NFA forms, and make him sign it like it or not.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 11:48:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Far as I know sheriffs/chiefs can refuse to sign.

Which is why some people go the corp route

CRC
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 11:54:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Tennessee mandates CLEO signoff:

39-17-1361. Execution of documents by sheriff or chief of police.

The sheriff or chief of police of the city of residence of a person purchasing any firearm, defined by the National Firearms Act, 26 U.S.C. § 5845 et seq., shall execute within fifteen (15) business days of any request all documents required to be submitted by the purchaser if the purchaser is not prohibited from possessing firearms pursuant to § 39-17-1316.  

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 11:56:43 AM EDT
[#8]
The ATF has a list of other positions/persons that can sign if your CLEO refuses to.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 11:57:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Good for TN!
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 12:00:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Far as I know sheriffs/chiefs can refuse to sign.

Which is why some people go the corp route

CRC

I had to go the corporate route, our sheriff has not once signed off on anyone. He is the bane of the gun owning crowd here. The only way in my parish to get an NFA item is corporate.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 12:01:25 PM EDT
[#11]
If they are going to make it mandatory then they might as well do away with the CLEO signoffs all together....which would be the optimal choice.

ETA:  Post 223
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 12:06:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I searched for the case but couldn't find it.  I think perhaps it might have just been the threat of a suit that forced Jenne to sign off.

I'll look into it.

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 12:09:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Its their jurisdiction; that sort of makes it their "business". The CLEo s are going to want some sort of indemnity from liability if they make sign offs madatory
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 12:18:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its their jurisdiction; that sort of makes it their "business". The CLEo s are going to want some sort of indemnity from liability if they make sign offs madatory

So what's in YOUR HOME is their business?  I don't think so.  I was refused by the local CLEOs for a form4 sign off for a suppressor.  What should be a simple procedure turned into a SNAFU because of them.  My rights are NONE of their business until I commit a crime.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 12:20:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Call Ms. CLEO today!  Find out your future mon.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 12:20:46 PM EDT
[#16]
The CLEO thing should be scrapped entirely.

Along w/ the fingerprints.

A simple BATFE background check should be it.

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 12:23:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what's in YOUR HOME is their business?  I don't think so.  I was refused by the local CLEOs for a form4 sign off for a suppressor.  What should be a simple procedure turned into a SNAFU because of them.  My rights are NONE of their business until I commit a crime.

The public safety in their jurisdiction is their business. That includes issues such as this. As I said, they will probably want some sort of indemnification. They don't know you from Adam or what sort of person you are and yet you guys just want a  rubber stamp? I would be worried as a CLEO myself.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 12:32:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The public safety in their jurisdiction is their business. That includes issues such as this. As I said, they will probably want some sort of indemnification. They don't know you from Adam or what sort of person you are and yet you guys just want a  rubber stamp? I would be worried as a CLEO myself.

They already have it. Nothing can happen to a CLEo for signing off on a NFA form because they are only signing it to say that possession/ownership of sid Item is not illegal in thier jusrisdiction and that they have no knowledge of the individual being porhibited from owning NFA or any other firearm. thats easy enough to do. The DA looked me up in the system right there in his office before he signed mine. of course he himself is an NFA firearm owner and knows the deal with that stuff. I really wish he would not have retired cuz the new DA is a shithead.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 12:40:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you think that CLEO's should have a say in what type of firearms we are allowed to have

Its NONE of their business and it IS a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 12:42:00 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Public saftey" isn't put at risk by anyone but criminals. WHO would waste their time going through any of the steps in a NFA purchase with intent to commit a crime?

Besides, knowing their is a NFA weapon there accomplishes what exactly?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:10:20 PM EDT
[#21]
If I was a CLEO, I would want to know who, had what in my jurisdiction.  By going the Corp. way, they have no idea who has what and where.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top