Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2005 5:58:06 PM EDT
About 16 years ago I herniated a disc in my lower back. I have learned to live with it over the years and can function normally, but lately the pain has prevented me from getting more than a few hours of sleep at night.

I'm looking for recommendations on a replacement bed that is good for bad backs. All suggestions appreciated!
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#1]
As for the bed, the harder the better.........I also have a couple herniated disks
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:06:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Same here, from Degenerative Disk Disease. I sleep on a firm mattress, but it doesn't really make much difference. The best, most comfortable bed to me, is a hospital bed. Some day I intend to get one.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:11:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
About 16 years ago I herniated a disc in my lower back. I have learned to live with it over the years and can function normally, but lately the pain has prevented me from getting more than a few hours of sleep at night.

I'm looking for recommendations on a replacement bed that is good for bad backs. All suggestions appreciated!

I've slept on the floor many times, with my feet slightly elevated. Usually use a sleeping bag over carpet; works great!
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:13:14 PM EDT
[#4]
another thing....if you sleep on your side, stick a pillow between your legs.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:16:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I've got a busted back too.  Spend 2500 if you can on a Beutyrest WORLD CLASS exceptinale series.  Its the best medicine I've had for my back.  I used to use beds with very little padding, but now I use a pillow top and it works.  More support under the arch of my back.

If youre really in pain, then you know thats an inexpensive solutoin.
Personally, I didn't like the form beds.

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:19:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Futon.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Exercise is helping me out a lot.  I also sleep in my recliner sometimes.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Sleep Number bed cured my ills.  I'm #45 and I'm gellin!
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:24:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Before I had sugery to remove &  fuse the 3 disc that were causing my problem I found that a waveless waterbet filled to the Firm level worke best I tried many others. Now I have trouble sleeping on anything else
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#10]
medium density 18-layer fouton
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:30:42 PM EDT
[#11]
free flow water bed with the heater set to about 9 this time of year. keeps my back warm and it doesn't tighten up as much.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:56:06 PM EDT
[#12]
very firm mattress, no pillow-top fluffiness to get in the way.

feels better with my knees elevated (de-arches the back, keeps it flat and evens the pressure--or at least it seems that way).
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#13]
When mine flares up, its the floor.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Plain ole matress with 3" memory foam mattress pad.  The pillow between the knees trick helps a lot too.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:05:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm 26 and have an awful sciatic nerve problem in my lower back.  For the most of the year it's fine, but there are those two or three months that it hurts so bad, I can barely get out of bed.  My bed is alright, don't have any problems with it. It's not hard, but firm.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:09:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Futon and my back has been much better since I started sleeping in the bed for 7-8 hours a night (used to fall asleep on the couch for most of the night).

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:13:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Trick - First imagine the shape of a capitol I.....

Now take three medium sized bath towels.
Roll them up so they are approx. 3" in diameter x 12" long. Use rubber bands to keep them rolled up.
Find a flat hard surface to lay down on, like the kitchen floor or the living room(if you dont have the shag carpet)
Sit with your legs together and straight out in front of you.
Remembering the shape of an I, place them in as follows as you lay back;
#1-accross the lower back just above your belt line
#2-between your shoulder blades with the top stopping just shy of the base of your neck.
#3-accross the middle of your neck

They should rougly resemble an "I" or a underlined T.

Do this a few times a week for 10-15 minutes. This helps correct your posture which in turn helps with many types of back pain. If in doubt, think about all the products out there that do the same.
Pillows and lumbar adjusting seats come to mind.

Just about anyone that works at a desk day in and out can benifit from this.
Anyone thought I would share. It helped me a few years ago when I tweaked my back and struggled with a bit of pain.
CH
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#18]
What I sleep on:
www.selectcomfort.com

What I wish I had done before blowing out my L5/S1 disk:
www.vaxdpaininjury.com/about.htm

Dave S
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:40:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
What I sleep on:
www.selectcomfort.com

What I wish I had done before blowing out my L5/S1 disk:
www.vaxdpaininjury.com/about.htm

Dave S

The Vax-d treatment looks promising... may have to give it a closer look. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:48:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:40:37 AM EDT
[#21]
If you sleep on your back on the floor you can also scoot over to a chair or couch and put your legs up. (A sitting position, but with your butt against the front).
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:22:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Plain ole matress with 3" memory foam mattress pad.  The pillow between the knees trick helps a lot too.

How does "memory" foam work, and does it work? I've Googled it and read a lot of good things about it, just don't know if it will work for me. Guess I'll just have to try it and see.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Same here, from Degenerative Disk Disease. I sleep on a firm mattress, but it doesn't really make much difference. The best, most comfortable bed to me, is a hospital bed. Some day I intend to get one.

I've got that as well, combined with arthritis and fibromyalgia.  I sleep on a very hard mattress (actually a orthopedic mattress, IIRC).  That's pretty much all you can do  Soft mattresses make it worse, even though they're comfortable, you'll wake up stiffer and possibly unable to walk.  Oh, and sleeping on the floor is a very, very bad idea if you have these sorts of problems because you probably won't be able to walk right the next day.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:26:52 PM EDT
[#24]
My wife and I sleep on a Sealy Posturpedic.  I have had three back surgeries and she has had one. No complaints about this bed.  It is about 15 years old and still as flat and firm as the day that we bought it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:30:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Stearns and Foster - best thing I did to get a good nights sleep....  
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:32:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a good firm bed for my bad lower back and titanium reinforced upper back........
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#27]
+1 on the free flow waterbed. Herniated two discs,L4-L5-S1, in 81 and have Degenerative Disk Disease.

My waterbed is the only thing that kept me off the operating table. To this day I can't sleep on anything else, and still get out of bed in the morning.

To each their own. Find what works best for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top