Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2005 2:30:38 PM EDT
  I found an Asian market locally and since I am a sucker for spicey fermented cabbage, I had to get some.  They make it right there and sell it in a plastic bag  tied on the top.   This is some good stuff.    Anyone else having some Kimchi tonight?
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:33:38 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I fly back to Korea tomorrow morning.
I will eat some Kimchi, but not much.

It's not the taste or the smell (so much) that offends me.  It's the ritualistic appearance of Kimchi at every fricking meal, even breakfast.

When a Korean host says, "It's traditional" - Beware.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:35:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Not tonite but I have a favorite Korean restaurant where they make some good Kimchi. For my Dad's b-day a few years back I bought him an Enfield and planned to take him shooting then out to the Korean place. Sort of a walk balk in time to the Korean war.
He told me:"Son, I hate that fuckin food" so I took him to Sam Seltzer's for a big steak.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I LOVE KIMCHI.        
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:38:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I just flashed back to living on Osan AB and watching the women from the village next to the elementary school playground dig up their pots, I could smell that crap from 50 yards away  I learned to love a lot of Korean foods, but couldn't adjust my tongue to that, though my mother loves it
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:40:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I just flashed back to living on Osan AB and watching the women from the village next to the elementary school playground dig up their pots, I could smell that crap from 50 yards away  I learned to love a lot of Korean foods, but couldn't adjust my tongue to that, though my mother loves it

Bet you got accustomed to soju though.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:40:27 PM EDT
[#7]
So you take some veggies, mix in some fish sauce, and stick it all in a clay bowl you burry in the back yard to get rotten ferment.

And then eat it?

Uh, no.  Not for me.

I can't get past the smell.

My body evolved a revulsion to "rotten" food.  I will go with instinct on that.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:47:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Good stuff!!!!
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:02:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Kimchee goes good with Chinese century old eggs

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:07:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Good stuff

Gives you horrible breath for two days tho
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a big jar in my fridge right now. Maybe it's time to pay the stinky jar a visit. Good stuff - I've even made my own when I wanted a scortching hot version with datil peppers.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:21:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Never!  Blechhhh!!!!!  
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:23:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
So you take some veggies, mix in some fish sauce, and stick it all in a clay bowl you burry in the back yard to get rotten ferment.

And then eat it?

Uh, no.  Not for me.

Yeah I can't stand cheese, beer, wine, or pickles either.

All hail Kimchi

Cheers

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:24:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Kimchi is good. I don't think I've had any 'rotten' Kimchi. Are y'all saying this is the 'traditional' method?

I've only had it from the jar in the grocery store..
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:27:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

And then eat it?

Uh, no.  Not for me.

No self-respecting Korean would use fish sauce.  Trust me, I would know.  That's like eating french fries with mayonnaise or something else equally perverse.

Stuff is good, especially after it ages for a few weeks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:29:05 PM EDT
[#16]
With some Kalbi or bulgoi and rice.  Yummy.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Yummy.

coming from a guy who does what you do for a living, I don't know how much value I place on that endorcement ...

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:54:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Love the stuff ! It doesn't love me...  Gas is the side effect.

I usually buy it and leave it on the counter for a few days so it get sour. Mmmmmm good!

For the people that tell me they won't eateat rotten cabbage I ask them if they eat rotten cucumbers. "Pickles?" is the usual response. I tell them its the same thing.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:02:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I LOVE KIMCHI.        

Binjo[shit] ditch cuisine.Sounds very tempting. com-sam-nee-da!
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:06:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Fermented?  I thought it was pickled?  Still good though.  Natto (Japanese fermented soybeans clumped together with disgusting slime) on the other hand...
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:09:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
With some Kalbi or bulgoi and rice.  Yummy.

+1
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:14:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I still remember being on a bus in the middle of summer in Korea filled with people who have all been eating kimchi.  My head was hanging out the window and I was praying for God to kill me.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
 Love the stuff ! It doesn't love me...  Gas is the side effect.

I usually buy it and leave it on the counter for a few days so it get sour. Mmmmmm good!

For the people that tell me they won't eateat rotten cabbage I ask them if they eat rotten cucumbers. "Pickles?" is the usual response. I tell them its the same thing.

German sauerkraut is kind of like the German version of kimchi
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:17:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Its interesting but most of the guys that have rotated through Korea like kimchee.  A few dont.  I have buddies that like it more then me. I like it with certain food but not with everything.  It will also help keep the bowels moving.

You guys dont know heaven until you have the pickled radish kimchee and Ramen noodles.  Damn good and cheap when you are poor.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:25:23 PM EDT
[#26]

mmmmm....kimchi  

I think there's some in there.

<<Slop drum outside the KATUSA snack bar Camp Red Cloud 1990>>

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:27:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I've had that, they had that for Midnight Chow at Ft. Gordon.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:31:04 PM EDT
[#28]
better yet.. kimchi chigae.
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. yum yum.

meat
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:44:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I remember running PT monday mornings after a big weekend... you knew who had kimchi
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:52:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Its good but defintaly a aquared taste/
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:54:15 PM EDT
[#31]
I still ate kimchi for a few years after I got out of the suck. I have since lost my appetite for it and many other asian peasant foods.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:07:00 PM EDT
[#32]
How about you just paid for a honeycomb charcoal bricket to place below the floor in the hootch,bought a bottle of porta-juice red wine and are about to get laid!!!

And out on the street a man pushing a cart with large sisszer like clanging wands ,yells out Yakimando-omorice!!!!!!  Which is rice,with an egg and a carrot slice on it!!!!

And you say hell yes get two,one or me and one or you Jossane!!!!!

Nooran chowh songiwa, norrahh wann   so on and so on!!!!

Oh they were the good old days,kimchi smells like a four day drunk does when he breathes his just had one beer sir,breath on you!!  Could knock you down from five feet!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:11:45 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
img418.imageshack.us/img418/6079/kimchi7jt.jpg

mmmmm....kimchi  

HEY We walked the same streets .... Camp Laguardia, Uijongbu. 1990-91

Do you remember the 777 club ?

This sound familiar ?" Me love you looooong time" ?
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#34]
I wish!

I love that stuff.

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#35]
The Pecking order:

Makkoli....when you are too broke to afford Soju.

Soju...when you are too broke to afford Peach Oscar.

Peach Oscar....when you are too broke to afford a Crown or OB

Crown or OB...when you are too broke to afford round-eye beer at the NCO club.

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:14:27 PM EDT
[#36]
There was this little Korean store outside Ft Hood that sold it in gallon jars, and we bought one to take to the field with us. About a week into the FTX, we dicided it was time time to open it up, and let the newbies get a taste. The jar was packed all the way to the top, and after a week sitting inside a hot-ass howitzer, the stuff pretty much exploded out of the jar, splashing all over us and the inside of the gun. After a little while, we heard the gun next to us come on the landline, asking "what in the FUCK is that smell?" Soon, Smoke came down and identified us as the culprits/victims, but also stuck around to eat some. Try as we might, we couldn't get the damned smell out of the gun, so for the rest of the field problem, we kept getting positioned downwind & 200yds from the rest of the firing battery.

Damned good stuff!
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:19:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:33:26 PM EDT
[#38]
I eat Kimchi like I do Yobo Poon Tang.

I can't get enough, my goddam asian market runs out all the friggan time, cuz I buy it up.

And I'm a Jap!

-G
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:23:31 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
img418.imageshack.us/img418/6079/kimchi7jt.jpg

mmmmm....kimchi  

HEY We walked the same streets .... Camp Laguardia, Uijongbu. 1990-91

Do you remember the 777 club ?

This sound familiar ?" Me love you looooong time" ?

We used to go out to the trip-seven some, but the EOD hangout was the Eagles club.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:30:26 AM EDT
[#40]
I don't really care for kimchi, and yes, I've tried it.

It's not just that it's for'n, either. I don't like Sauerkraut, either, and I'm mostly German. Fermented cabbage just ain't my thing. If you guys want to eat something that smells like old socks, go ahead.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:46:01 AM EDT
[#41]
I've been meaning to try this stuff.  I just wonder if the stuff in the jar at the grocery store is authentic or good.

Just eat it over rice or rice noodles?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:41:45 AM EDT
[#42]
When I was in college my wife and I had a dorm apartment next to a Korean couple.

They were great folks and nice neighbors, but the first time they made a batch of Kimchi I thought that a rat had crawled into the wall between our kitchens and died.

If you can eat that, you can eat shit straight from a cat's ass.

Disconnector
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:52:07 AM EDT
[#43]
I refuse to even try eating any of it.  The smell alone is enough to make me gag.

<--------------------
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:28:53 AM EDT
[#44]
There used to be a couple of places around here you could get good kimchi, but not anymore.  You'd think, with all the koreans around here, SOMEONE would sell good kimchi, but it's all that nasty fermented shit in bottles.  

There were 2 resteraunts here that had great kimchi...one is gone, and the other now has the WORST stuff I've ever had..all sour and nasty.  Even their Oi Kimchi is nasty.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 11:23:28 AM EDT
[#45]
The problem with Kimchi is that everyone make it differently and they never make it the same way twice.  It is expensive and time consuming to make so store bought Kimchee is not going to be as good as what they make for THEIR own consumption.

For those that don't like cabbage, they can and have made kimchee out of almost every vegetable they can get their hands on.  My favorites are cabbage, cucumber and green onion kimchee.

Any of you ever tried the raw whole cloves of garlic they soak in soy sauce?  Good stuff.  Don't think my stomach could handle those now though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top