Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2005 1:29:13 PM EDT
My auction selling a HK91 sight tool was shut down.  I was warned that my account could be suspended for trying to sell weapons .  I guess screw drivers are now considered shanks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to 2002.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:41:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Welcome to 2002.

Yeah, no shit.  I had a pair of aiming stakes removed by ebay.  For those that don't know, aiming stakes are metal poles painted red and white.  I guess they were bad, evil, aiming stakes.  I had some other stuff removed and was threatened with double secret probation by some anonymous ebay weiner citing california law, blah blah.  I cited the law right back and the they actually wrote back to tell me that I was right, but my stuff was banned anyway.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:42:29 PM EDT
[#3]
That's a little odd.  Was there anything else in your ad other than the tool itself (maybe a picture of the rifle)?  Do an Ebay search for "SKS Rifle" or "SKS gun", and you'll see no shortage of firearms parts for sale.  A search for "HK-91" shows a few hits, including sightsand scope mounts.  Did they specifically say "for trying to sell weapons"?  Because EBay is awash with swords, knives, etc...

eBay doesn't allow firearms sales since they are California based and are concerned of running afoul of California law in brokering firearms.  IIRC, they sold or licensed their auction software to GunBroker so that they could eliminate the liability and still maintain some revenue from it...

ETA:  Sorry, just read the eBay policy.  They are prohibiting any parts for "assault rifles" which probably explains why the SKS parts can be listed...
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:43:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a XXX movie auction shut down once.  Had it in the wrong section.  It somehow got put in childrens items.  Oops.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:46:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That's a little odd.  Was there anything else in your ad other than the tool itself (maybe a picture of the rifle)?  Do an Ebay search for "SKS Rifle" or "SKS gun", and you'll see no shortage of firearms parts for sale.  A search for "HK-91" shows a few hits, including sightsand scope mounts.  Did they specifically say "for trying to sell weapons"?  Because EBay is awash with swords, knives, etc...

eBay doesn't allow firearms sales since they are California based and are concerned of running afoul of California law in brokering firearms.  IIRC, they sold or licensed their auction software to GunBroker so that they could eliminate the liability and still maintain some revenue from it...

I was told I was trying to sell weapons.  The only thing in the pic was the sight tool and the table it was setting on.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:53:58 PM EDT
[#6]
When I questioned them why they took off my ar15 grip this is the reply I got

"Hello Randy,

Thank you for writing eBay.

In your listing you stated that your grip was for an AR15 or M4. eBay
does not allow parts or accessories for assault weapons to be sold on
our site. eBay has recently revised its Firearms Policy so that the
sale
of any assault weapon-related parts or accessories will no longer be
permitted. This will apply to all parts and accessories related to any
firearm defined as an "assault weapon" by either Federal or California
law. In addition, the sale of any firearm receiver or firearm frame
will
not be permitted. While this policy has always been in place, this ban
will now also include complete receivers and frames, components and
parts of receivers and frames, "cut", "80%", or "partially complete"
receivers.

The primary reason that eBay has changed its policy is that various
state and federal laws are particularly complex when it comes to
regulating, and even defining, assault weapons parts and accessories.
What is legal in one jurisdiction may be illegal in another, and as the
category grew, it became increasingly difficult for us to enforce a
consistent policy.  To keep our community from inadvertently violating
a
firearms law, and to simplify our enforcement into a policy that would
be fair and consistent to all sellers, we took the step of banning all
parts and accessories related to assault weapons. This decision was
made
purely to help protect our community from inadvertently violating
firearms laws, and for enforcement reasons. eBay takes no position on
the gun control issue. eBay will continue to allow the sale of hunting
rifle parts and accessories because the laws surrounding the sale of
these items are much simpler and thus easier to enforce.

I assure you that we try to be as consistent and fair as possible when
enforcing our policies. Unfortunately, because there are so many
auctions running on our site, it is very difficult for us to find and
remove every offending auction prior to ending. You may feel free to
help us out by sending in item numbers of offending auctions you see
while browsing the site. We do rely on our members for help as well in
keeping prohibited items off our site.

To report an item that you believe violates our policies, click
"Sitemap" at the top of the eBay page and near the bottom of the page
under "Help > Help Topics" click "Rules and Policies". Using the
"Prohibited and Restricted Items" link  found on this page, you can
then
select the policy that you believe the item violates. At the bottom of
each policy page  you will find a link where you can report up to 10
auctions at a time. This is the most direct way to report Prohibited
Items, and will assure that the items are reviewed as promptly as
possible.

We appreciate your patience and understanding regarding this matter,
and
wish you continued success on eBay.

Regards,

Guillermo
Community Watch Team
eBay Trust & Safety

They had the gall to ask me to snitch on someone else, now aint that funny. I relisted the grip as a "ar" grip and left off the 15 and it went right thru, guy even paid with paypal
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I had a XXX movie auction shut down once.  Had it in the wrong section.  It somehow got put in childrens items.  Oops.

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:24:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Actually I like Ebay because I can find great deals on games, clothing and dvd's there. I buy all my gun stuff from vendors here or from HKpro.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:29:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Basically they are saying, "Even though you are an obvious backer of the second amendment, we want you to snitch on others who are trying to sell parts that you believe should be legal but aren't. We take no position on the gun control issue, because we are a bunch of pussies, good day"
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:31:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

"Hello Randy,

Blah blah blah, bullshit bullshit bullshit

and

Regards,

Guillermo
Community Watch Team
eBay Trust & Safety

They had the gall to ask me to snitch on someone else, now aint that funny. I relisted the grip as a "ar" grip and left off the 15 and it went right thru, guy even paid with paypal

Funny thing, AFAIK, parts for any weapon are legal in all states.  They have no reason to fear breaking the law since there are NO laws prohibiting selling of parts.  The possession of all AR parts except the reciever is still legal in Kali.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Here, let me put out some rotten attitude seen so frequently on ARFCOM.
"Well it's a private company. They can do whatever they like. You may live in a democracy but you dont work in one. Ebay does'nt have to belive in the 2nd amendment at all."
There, you feel any better??
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:54:54 PM EDT
[#12]
i was selling a tactical taylor vest on ebay once.  ebay took it off because i wrote that it can hold 6 m16 magazines. when asked why, they told me that it is a accessory for a assault weapon. so i relisted it as "holdes 6 magazines"
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Hello Randy,

Blah blah blah, bullshit bullshit bullshit

and

Regards,

Guillermo
Community Watch Team
eBay Trust & Safety

Funny thing, AFAIK, parts for any weapon are legal in all states.  They have no reason to fear breaking the law since there are NO laws prohibiting selling of parts.  The possession of all AR parts except the reciever is still legal in Kali.

Thats what I told them and I got that letter.

Here was my response first

Message: I would like to know what idiot there makes policy decisions on what listing is legal or illegal. You people dropped my listing #7187302172 because you stated it was illegal to own in the freaking state of California, well stupids it is a GRIP not a weapon. One hundred  percent legal to own in all 50 states, not just your beloved state of Califoria. You people are doing nothing but pushing more and more people away from ebay for stupid policies such as this. You are so afraid of what some lawyer might do it is pathetic. Ebay is not the same place it used to be, for me my listings have been getting less and less with each month, and after this boneheaded move on your part this may be the last month Im on ebay. I myself will not matter to you if I dont come back, but, one day you will have pushed enough people away you will be selling to only the people in California. Which may be fine with you, who knows, the way your company makes decisions that may be the way you want it. Its bad enough paypal is getting ruined by you people now your ruining ebay to. I understand whomever reads this email is just doing their job, is being told what to do by some other idiot, but do you really want to work for a company ran by morons, you may want to think about getting out while the getting is good. Any time a company gets big enough that they think they can make policy decisions for the entire world, they have gotten too full of themselves and are destined for a fall-good luck to you

Thats when I got the "letter" from them, kinda makes you laugh
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top