Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2005 1:56:38 PM EDT
Just asking for my sister-in-law.  She wants a knife to carry for protection since she has no firearm and I told her that a knife is better than harsh words.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:04:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Alright, but i suggest you get her a gun and training.  any resistance is better than none, but it's way harder to defend yourself with a knife, especially if you are untrained.

The only thing you can't carry in SD is a ballistic knife.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:06:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think a knife is a great weapon for a woman. She would probably be better served with some good pepper or OC spray.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:34:38 PM EDT
[#3]
From www.packing.org  South Dakota section:

Knife carry law summary
Date updated: Aug 23, 2005 @ 8:43 pm

§ 22-1-2. Definition of terms.
Terms used in this title mean:

(10) "Dangerous weapon" or "deadly weapon," any firearm, knife or device, instrument, material or substance, whether animate or inanimate, which is calculated or designed to inflict death or serious bodily harm, or by the manner in which it is used is likely to inflict death or serious bodily harm;

§ 22-14-19. Ownership, possession or sale of ballistic knife prohibited - Ballistic knife defined - Violation as misdemeanor.

No person may own, possess or sell a ballistic knife. A ballistic knife is a knife encased in a tubular metal sheath which when removed, uncovers a detachable blade that can be propelled by a spring mechanism operated at the push of a button. A violation of this section is a Class 1 misdemeanor.

§ 22-14-29. Ownership, possession, or carrying of butterfly/balisong knife by minors prohibited - Misdemeanor.

No person under the age of eighteen may own, possess, or carry a butterfly/balisong knife. A butterfly/balisong knife is a knife which is encased in a metal, wooden, or plastic sheath which when removed, uncovers a detachable blade that can be opened automatically by operation of inertia, gravity, or both. A violation of this section is a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top