Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2005 6:27:35 AM EDT
Went shooting outside of Lyons, CO yesterday; took the AR and my new Kahr PM9 (that gun's the best compact handgun I've ever shot, I made some incredibly long-distance hits with it, more to come later).

I noticed a shell on the ground. It was very shiny, like it was shot within a day. It's got a really weird shape, it is rimmed, and it's mouth is bigger than 7.62, as a 7.62 x 54 cartidge will slip tightly into the neck.

Here's where things really get strange: It's got a 1938 production date on the headstamp, a roman numeral VIII... and a Nazi waffenamt. IT'S DEFINITELY NOT AN 8MM MAUSER CARTRIDGE, CAUSE THE SHAPE'S ALL WRONG, IT'S RIMMED, AND IT'S TOO SHORT.

I'll buy an internet beer for anybody who can tell me what it is...

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:30:20 AM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:31:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Its is 8x56R for Austrian Mannlichers....
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:32:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Renecked 8mm case?
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:34:27 AM EDT
[#4]
7.92 x 57.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:34:46 AM EDT
[#5]
8x56R
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:35:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Yup it is

Mfg: Austria
Date: 1938
Caliber: 8x56R Steyr
Bullet Type: FMJ
Primer: Corrosive

THis make it go bang:
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:37:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok, I just wanted to get the first post up quick to win my beer...anyway,

Like I said, 8x56R. For the converted Austrian WWII M95 rifles and carbines. The original WWI caliber for the guns were 8x50R...the M95 Rifle, Carbine, and Stutzen were the main weapons of the Austro-Hungarian empire, manufactured by Steyer and The Imperial Hungarian Arsenals in Budapest.

After WWI the 8x56R cartridge was developed, and Austria rechambered its M95's to it. You can tell if an M95 (of any type) has been rechambered by the elongated "S" on the chamber.

The M95 remained a mainstay of Austrian troops through the 20's and 30's, and after the Anschluss, remained in the back line and police arsenal...thus the Waffenamt...
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:44:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ok, I just wanted to get the first post up quick to win my beer...anyway,

Like I said, 8x56R. For the converted Austrian WWII M95 rifles and carbines. The original WWI caliber for the guns were 8x50R...the M95 Rifle, Carbine, and Stutzen were the main weapons of the Austro-Hungarian empire, manufactured by Steyer and The Imperial Hungarian Arsenals in Budapest.

After WWI the 8x56R cartridge was developed, and Austria rechambered its M95's to it. You can tell if an M95 (of any type) has been rechambered by the elongated "S" on the chamber.

The M95 remained a mainstay of Austrian troops through the 20's and 30's, and after the Anschluss, remained in the back line and police arsenal...thus the Waffenamt...

Absolutely FANTASTICO! Great work! Now what kind of beer would you like? "We've got Bud, Bud Lite, Miller Genuine Draft, Red Hook, and Fat Tire on draft, and here's a list of our bottled beers..."

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:45:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I have one of those M95s but I can't figure out what the hell cartridge it is suppose to shoot since it doesn't have an S on the barrel. It just says Steyr M.95M on it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:45:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I'll go with a Red Hook, thank you kindly!
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:49:25 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have one of those M95s but I can't figure out what the hell cartridge it is suppose to shoot since it doesn't have an S on the barrel. It just says Steyr M.95M on it.

Most likely then it hasn't been converted, it shoots the 8x50R...good luck finding any, shits rarer than the guns. It will have a round nosed bullet. Guns still chambered in 8x50 are scarce, and good collectors pieces, especially the rifles...stutzens are the most common, and true carbines are pretty scarce too.

I just sold a WWI bringback Budapest Stutzen in 8x50 for $225, which was actually a good price for it. I didn't want to sell it, it was the first I owned still in 8x50, but I can't keep it all, as much as I'd like to....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top