Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2005 4:31:57 PM EDT
I go into the my favorite funshop today, and in the consign. rack is a Benelli "Tactical 12" or
"M1 Tactical" semi-auto shotgun, with ghost-ring sights,extended tube, magnaported,and sling for $879. I don't know alot about Benelli's except that they are pricey. I have a Rem. 870 and I'm happy with it. I don't shoot clays or competition but I've always been intrigued by the semi-autos.
If you're an owner, what are your likes/ dislikes?
Will they function with reduced-recoil loads?
Your input is appreciated.

Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:36:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Dude, if you are going this way, you should SERIOUSLY look at the models with their new ComforTech stock. Although aimed at the bird hunters, it really improves shot-to-shot recovery in 3-gun type shooting too. I was impressed when I tried one (I'm a dyed-in-the wool 1187 guy).
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:39:32 PM EDT
[#2]
StealthyBlagga,
Thanks for the tip. any advantage of an 1187 over Benelli?
Or is that like a Chevy /Ford comparison, personal preference?
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#3]
::dunno::

More than 5K of Lyman 525gr. slugs and it is still staying together....

Yes, I have attempted to kick the shyte out of this firearm, no luck thus far..
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:41:22 PM EDT
[#4]
M1 super 90 has higher felt recoi,than most SHN's. They may be unreliable with side saddles or surfire lights attached.  They will be unreliable with "tactical" buckshot loads. With proper ammo selection mine runs like a sewing machine, but it took some trial and error to find reliable bukshot that also patterns well.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#5]
If it has the pistol grip, it may not cycle using lighter loads. YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:45:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I shot one at CMMG and cleaned up with it. It was the first time  I had ever used a shotgun and I got 4th out of about 20 guys on the COF.

I want one bad.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
these guys could tell you

Shoulda thought of that, I'll post it there too.
Thanks dude.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:51:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I have 2 M1 Super 90s, 12ga and 20ga.

Awesome, incredible, best money I ever spent on a gun.

ETA: Yes you should use heavier loads. They are recoil operated, not gas operated in the case of most of their shotguns. IIRC the M3 is gas operated as per military requirements to add scopes and other accessories. Pistol grip has nothing to do with it, weight does.

Not a big deal to me as I am not one to hang 5 pounds of shit on my weapons.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got one SBE, and one M1S90.  There is nothing I would change about either.  I've hunted with the SBE since '94, and it has never failed me, and it has been abused through hundreds of days duck hunting in Arkansas timber, sloughs, and fields.  The M1 equally awesome.  If you feel the need to attach all kinds of uber tactical gizmos, get the M4.

BTW, I was just on Benelli's website...are they no longer making the M1?  I saw an M2, but it looks less intimidating, kind of panzied up.

Blake
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:04:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I go into the my favorite funshop today, and in the consign. rack is a Benelli "Tactical 12" or
"M1 Tactical" semi-auto shotgun, with ghost-ring sights,extended tube, magnaported,and sling for $879. I don't know alot about Benelli's except that they are pricey. I have a Rem. 870 and I'm happy with it. I don't shoot clays or competition but I've always been intrigued by the semi-autos.
If you're an owner, what are your likes/ dislikes?
Will they function with reduced-recoil loads?
Your input is appreciated.

I love my M1 tactical.  I have not had problem with reduced recoil loads, others have.  There is some question as to whether the combination or the pistol grip and mag extension is legal.  Some will swear up and down that it is and others say it isn't.  Even BATF has issued conflicting letters.  I don't have the mag extension on mine- isn't worth any potential legal trouble.  Regardless, the legality of the mag extension has nothing o do with the AWB - has to do with an importation ban.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:06:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I've got one SBE, and one M1S90.  There is nothing I would change about either.  I've hunted with the SBE since '94, and it has never failed me, and it has been abused through hundreds of days duck hunting in Arkansas timber, sloughs, and fields.  The M1 equally awesome.  If you feel the need to attach all kinds of uber tactical gizmos, get the M4.

BTW, I was just on Benelli's website...are they no longer making the M1?  I saw an M2, but it looks less intimidating, kind of panzied up.

Blake

I think they make the M1 in 20 gauge still .
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:06:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

ETA: Yes you should use heavier loads. They are recoil operated, not gas operated in the case of most of their shotguns. IIRC the M3 is gas operated as per military requirements to add scopes and other accessories. Pistol grip has nothing to do with it, weight does.

+1

I have 3 M190S tacticals.  Dont ask why I have 3.  

But you can dump 8 rounds in less then 2-3 seconds.  The recoil can be harsh but is managable.  They will handle 3inch shells with no problems.  But yes you put a lot of shit on the gun and it can malfunction.  The receivers are aluminum and can distort with the sidesaddles.  The lights will have no effect.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:27:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:27:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I have 3 M190S tacticals.  Dont ask why I have 3.  

Don't have to ask, I know.

Mine are hunting shotguns though. This was last week:

Link Posted: 10/8/2005 6:27:45 PM EDT
[#16]
The nice thing though is that you can easily change out the barrels and convert the tacticals to hunters.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 8:33:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
IIRC the M3 is gas operated as per military requirements to add scopes and other accessories.

M3 is also recoil operated.
At least mine is.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 9:46:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
IIRC the M3 is gas operated as per military requirements to add scopes and other accessories.

M3 is also recoil operated.
At least mine is.

My bad, it is the M4.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top