Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2005 9:33:26 AM EDT
Every kid should be required to do this once, it's a great advertisement for staying in school.

BTW, how far apart should the screws be? It's that 5/8 fire-rated stuff, very heavy.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 9:41:12 AM EDT
[#1]
If you have a lot, rent yourself a panel lift. It now becomes a one man job and you won't even break a sweat.
Generally I put 32 screws per 8' of board or 4 per 16". More can't hurt but really not needed.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 9:46:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Use the cost plus system for hanging and finishing drywall.  Hire someone to do the job @ cost of materials plus labor. You can't buy it and hang it as cheap as the price of a good crew can.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 9:56:02 AM EDT
[#3]
By all means use liquid nails or the equivalent construction adhesive on your board. Glue it and screw it is the only way to do board.

And a big +1 on the drywall lift. You can rent one for a reasonable cost.

Dram out
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 11:26:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I did rent a lift. I can't use adhesive, because I put two-inch isulation on first, and it wouldn't stick. (This is the ceiling of a garage.)

It's difficult to find a crew here because they're all so busy. The guy I hired to do the inside of the house was a disaster, so I figured I'd hang these myself. I'm about half done, but then of course there's the taping and mudding. I'll see if I can hire that out, but I'm not optimistic.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 11:35:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I did rent a lift. I can't use adhesive, because I put two-inch isulation on first, and it wouldn't stick. (This is the ceiling of a garage.)

It's difficult to find a crew here because they're all so busy. The guy I hired to do the inside of the house was a disaster, so I figured I'd hang these myself. I'm about half done, but then of course there's the taping and mudding. I'll see if I can hire that out, but I'm not optimistic.

Tape and mudding is no big deal and you can take your time doing it... getting the walboard up it the tough part.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:02:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Finished hanging! Now all I have to do is tape, mud, sand, prime, paint...
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:14:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I hung my garage also.  I made a "t" out of 2x4's.  I would however get a lift next time.  Which is going to be in a month or so.  I am building a 12x16 office, kids are to loud.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:18:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I am building a 12x16 office, kids are to loud.

Forget the office and hanging drywall - make a rubber room for the kids. How tough can it be to hang rubber?
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:18:18 PM EDT
[#9]
5 for each stud has allways worked for me.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:22:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I taped and mudded my garage 11' ceiling.  I had to have someone come in and do the last coat of mud, I sucked.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:59:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Sand!!! Heavens no!! Tape it, mud the seams as smoothly as you can, then use a damp sponge to smooth the seams after they dry. No dust, little effort, and perfect results. The damp sponge will erode the high spots down, and force the material removed from the high spots to fill in the low ones. This is the method most often recommended in the instructions on the back of the drywall compound, you did read the directions, didn't you?

Bob
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:02:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Congratulations!

Having done this, do you have any words of wisdom to share?
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
5 for each stud has allways worked for me.

+1

Just did the ceiling in our future bedroom tonight.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Finishing hanging drywall in my garage now.  My dad told me a trick he's used in the past - where the walls meet the ceiling, forget taping and mudding.  Just run some 1/2" trim all the way around it.  It's a garage - doesn't have to be perfect, right?  Pretty easy way it seems to me to cut down on 96' (24 x 24 garage) of inside corner taping!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top