Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2005 4:53:50 AM EDT
www.hometownannapolis.com/cgi-bin/read/2005/10_06-46/TOP

A dozen midshipmen earned the grudging respect of the Air Force Academy by repainting a jet fighter on the Colorado academy's grounds blue and gold, and labeling it with "Navy" and "Blue Angels."

The mids, who are studying there this semester as part of an exchange program, pulled off the prank sometime late Monday night or early Tuesday morning, in advance of Saturday's Navy-Air Force football game in Annapolis.

"This jet is in the center of cadet life," Air Force Academy spokesman John Van Winkle said yesterday. "You cannot be a cadet at the academy and not notice that plane."

The F-4D Phantom fighter, which downed six enemy MiGs in the Vietnam War, is in the middle of the Air Force Academy's assembly area, surrounded by dormitories, a classroom building and the campus chapel. Mr. Van Winkle said. It is normally painted tan and green.

"They have created a little bit of a legacy," Mr. Van Winkle said of the visiting midshipmen.

A Naval Academy spokesman was laughing when he discussed the incident.

"Good on 'em," Cmdr. Rod Gibbons said yesterday of the pranksters.

Mr. Van Winkle offered the Naval Academy some friendly advice:

"Be sure to ask the Navy people about the brass goat statute - just to see if anything happened there," he said of the statute that stands inside Gate 1.

Naval Academy spokesman Judy Campbell said this morning that 20 Air Force cadets are studying in Annapolis this semester, but they have not retaliated. Yet.

"Not at this point, we haven't had any pranks played," Ms. Campbell said. "But it's still not Saturday."

The hoaxes, sometimes called "spirit missions," are all in good fun. The only rules are that the pranks do no permanent damage, and must be cleaned up the following day. In this case, the mids wisely used coloring that washed off the Air Force plane.

Mids in past years have painted things such as "Go Navy!" on a wall at the Air Force Academy, and West Point cadets painted a Ranger insignia on a roof another year but nobody has ever performed a stunt of this magnitude, Mr. Van Winkle said.

The whole rivalry is about the Commander-in-Chief Trophy, awarded each year to the academy that wins the most inter-service football games.

Navy has won it the past two seasons, but Air Force has won it 22 times to Navy's 11 since the trophy was created in 1972. Navy goes into Saturday's game with a season record of 1-2, and Air Force with a 2-3 record, but Navy is a 1 point favorite because of home-field advantage.

Navy may have lost its edge over Air Force in May, when its star fullback graduated.

"We will see about the Commander-in-Chief Trophy," Mr. Van Winkle said. "That thing was here for seven years in a row. Then, Kyle Eckel came along. He just tore us up. Now, we're glad he's gone."

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:03:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:23:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I was a low-life enlisted scum in the world's second largest Nuclear Navy back in the day.  We usually rooted for Army or Air Force just to piss off the officers.  

Now I work with a guy who went to the Air Force Academy, so I guess I can bust on him about this although I still tend to root for whoever is playing Navy.  Some habits are hard to break.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:40:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:44:10 AM EDT
[#4]
That's friggen priceless!

I wonder how they got back into that area unnoticed, considering that when I visited the AFA, they had gates and fences all over the place to keep everyone but the cadets out.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:52:27 AM EDT
[#5]
One of the articles mentioned the Mids that committed the attack were on a temporary exchange program, and they used washable paint.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:52:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:58:07 AM EDT
[#7]

And I'm AF enlisted.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:09:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
That's friggen priceless!

I wonder how they got back into that area unnoticed, considering that when I visited the AFA, they had gates and fences all over the place to keep everyone but the cadets out.

They WERE cadets, sort of.  Studying there on exchange.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:29:12 AM EDT
[#9]
That explains it all then.  Fricken awesome.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:34:48 AM EDT
[#10]

RECON!

GO NAVY! BEAT AIR FARCE!

Man, those guys are going to get their own parade when they get back to the Yard!
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:13:13 AM EDT
[#11]
A friend of mine went to St. John's College which is just across the creek from the Naval Academy in Annapolis.  One night they silently crossed the creek in their boats and stole all the Navy's boats from their marina.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:37:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I just emailed my co-worker the story link. His brother's an FA-18 pilot. He's gonna love this.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:19:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I grew up around the Navy, served in the Air Force and I am laughing my ass off!

Anyone else remember when the Blue Angels flew Phantoms?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:58:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:03:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Air Force:  "Well, we'd assemble a counter-prank task force but... I'm having problems with PowerPoint on my laptop... and it is almost 5 'o clock... So..."
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:06:01 PM EDT
[#16]
 Air Force will have a black eye for awhile over that one.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:07:26 PM EDT
[#17]
DUPE: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=396787

So, why, when you post DUPE on here do some people keep on posting?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:37:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Air Force:  "Well, we'd assemble a counter-prank task force but... I'm having problems with PowerPoint on my laptop... and it is almost 5 'o clock... So..."

It's tee time.

Quoted:

Never underestimate what a group of drunken, sexually repressed 21 year olds can accomplish when they get really pissed.

ROTFLMFAO!  Graduated June of '76; first women came in July of '76.  So true...
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:44:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:54:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
www.hometownannapolis.com/cgi-bin/read/2005/10_06-46/TOP

www.hometownannapolis.com/photos/naprank.gif

A dozen midshipmen earned the grudging respect of the Air Force Academy by repainting a jet fighter on the Colorado academy's grounds blue and gold, and labeling it with "Navy" and "Blue Angels."

The mids, who are studying there this semester as part of an exchange program, pulled off the prank sometime late Monday night or early Tuesday morning, in advance of Saturday's Navy-Air Force football game in Annapolis.

"This jet is in the center of cadet life," Air Force Academy spokesman John Van Winkle said yesterday. "You cannot be a cadet at the academy and not notice that plane."

The F-4D Phantom fighter, which downed six enemy MiGs in the Vietnam War, is in the middle of the Air Force Academy's assembly area, surrounded by dormitories, a classroom building and the campus chapel. Mr. Van Winkle said. It is normally painted tan and green.

"They have created a little bit of a legacy," Mr. Van Winkle said of the visiting midshipmen.

A Naval Academy spokesman was laughing when he discussed the incident.

"Good on 'em," Cmdr. Rod Gibbons said yesterday of the pranksters.

Mr. Van Winkle offered the Naval Academy some friendly advice:

"Be sure to ask the Navy people about the brass goat statute - just to see if anything happened there," he said of the statute that stands inside Gate 1.

Naval Academy spokesman Judy Campbell said this morning that 20 Air Force cadets are studying in Annapolis this semester, but they have not retaliated. Yet.

"Not at this point, we haven't had any pranks played," Ms. Campbell said. "But it's still not Saturday."

The hoaxes, sometimes called "spirit missions," are all in good fun. The only rules are that the pranks do no permanent damage, and must be cleaned up the following day. In this case, the mids wisely used coloring that washed off the Air Force plane.

Mids in past years have painted things such as "Go Navy!" on a wall at the Air Force Academy, and West Point cadets painted a Ranger insignia on a roof another year but nobody has ever performed a stunt of this magnitude, Mr. Van Winkle said.

The whole rivalry is about the Commander-in-Chief Trophy, awarded each year to the academy that wins the most inter-service football games.

Navy has won it the past two seasons, but Air Force has won it 22 times to Navy's 11 since the trophy was created in 1972. Navy goes into Saturday's game with a season record of 1-2, and Air Force with a 2-3 record, but Navy is a 1 point favorite because of home-field advantage.

Navy may have lost its edge over Air Force in May, when its star fullback graduated.

"We will see about the Commander-in-Chief Trophy," Mr. Van Winkle said. "That thing was here for seven years in a row. Then, Kyle Eckel came along. He just tore us up. Now, we're glad he's gone."

No prank! Come all the way from Annapolis and take it back don't paint it and give it back during the Navy-Air Farce football game during halftime, now that's a prank....
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:01:20 PM EDT
[#21]
This was over on Black-Rifles.com several days ago...

Guess in between bashing arfcom, they find time to report things in a timely manner
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I see by your moniker you chose homosexuality as your outlet.
Sylvan
USMA 93

Fuck off, Woop! You're next!
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 3:15:46 AM EDT
[#23]
At first I thought, not bad - good recon raid.  Then I talked to a Col USAFA grad at work about the prank.  USAFA treats those birds like religous monuments.  It would be like the zoomies taking a dump in Memorial Hall.  I didn't realized just how big this was.  Gooo NAVY, beat AIRFORCE.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 6:28:17 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
It would be like the zoomies taking a dump in Memorial Hall.  

Not even close. That would merit a severe ass-kicking followed by a public flogging at the 50-yard line during the halftime show at the Navy-Air Force game. Some things just aren't done.

I just hope they used washable paint!
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:36:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It would be like the zoomies taking a dump in Memorial Hall.  

Not even close. That would merit a severe ass-kicking followed by a public flogging at the 50-yard line during the halftime show at the Navy-Air Force game. Some things just aren't done.

I just hope they used washable paint!

They did use water soluble paint.  Great recon and a great Navy victory today!!!  
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:51:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

RECON!

GO NAVY! BEAT AIR FARCE!

Man, those guys are going to get their own parade when they get back to the Yard!

+1  Heroes!
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#27]
VICTORY!

GO NAVY!

I can't wait to get back home to my TiVo!
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 6:41:37 PM EDT
[#28]
They'll prolly join the Air Force years later anyhow
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top