BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2005 4:22:43 PM EDT
From Drudge

Linkage

Well now, this is interesting...

MIERS FOUND CHRIST, TURNED REPUBLICAN

By 1979, Harriet Miers, then in her mid-30s, had accomplished what some people take a lifetime to achieve. She was a partner at Locke Purnell Boren Laney & Neely, one of the most prestigious law firms in the South.

But she still felt something was missing in her life.

The NEW YORK TIMES is set to splash the "something" on Page Ones on Wednesday, newsroom sources tell the DRUDGE REPORT.

It was after a series of long discussions with Nathan Hecht, a junior colleague and sweetheart, that led her to a decision that many of the people around her say changed Miers life.

"She decided that she wanted faith to be a bigger part of her life," Hecht said. "One evening she called me to her office and said she was ready to make a commitment," to accept Jesus Christ as her savior and be born again, Hecht said. Miers became an evangelical Christian and began identifying more with the Republican Party than with the Democrats who had long held sway over Texas politics. Developing...

Well now, she wants Christ in her life, huh? How will this affect her position on Roe vs. Wade, among other issues? The Dems ain't gonna like this one bit. This could be the thing that keeps her from getting the nod...

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#1]

Supreme Court nominee Miers found Christ

I didn't know he was lost.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:27:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Yes he was on the Mexican food isle at the local Wal-Mart.  A code adam was called and he was located buying corn husks for his tamales.  In a cruel twist of fate the border patrol was called in and Jesus was deported back to Mexico.

Seriously, I think this lady is going to be a very good pick for us.  She is a staunch 2nd amendment supporter.  Get her on the court and get Stevens off the court and replaced with another pro 2nd conservative and we should be good to go.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:31:49 PM EDT
[#3]
More - she's very much pro life apparently

Linky

Miers said to be on `extreme end' of pro-life movement

BY DAVE LEVINTHAL
The Dallas Morning News

DALLAS - (KRT) - As political activists rush to mine Supreme Court nominee Harriet Miers' slender public record, a former campaign manager says she opposed abortion rights while running for Dallas City Council in 1989.

"She is on the extreme end of the anti-choice movement," said Lorlee Bartos, who managed Miers' first and only political campaign and said they discussed abortion once during the race.

"I think Harriet's belief was pretty strongly felt," Bartos said Monday. "I suspect she is of the same cloth as the president."

White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said she couldn't comment on Bartos' recollection but added that President Bush "does not have a litmus test for his judicial nominees."

Miers, a corporate lawyer who served on the City Council from 1989 to 1991, is something of a cipher as a judicial candidate, having never served on the bench or compiled extensive legal writings. That lack of a paper trail proved more vexing Monday to social conservatives, while many Democrats and liberal activists held their fire.

Bartos said Miers told her she was "pro-choice in her youth" but underwent "a born-again, profound experience" that caused her to oppose abortion.

Beyond their exchange in 1989, Bartos said she has no other insight into Miers' views on abortion.

With the Bush loyalist's stance on abortion publicly unknown, conservatives and liberals alike are voicing trepidation about the woman tapped to replace Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, a moderate abortion-rights supporter.

Some conservatives drew some comfort from Miers' effort in 1993, while Texas State Bar president, to persuade the American Bar Association to abandon its abortion-rights stance in favor of a neutral position.

"The ABA is a place where there was an awful lot of liberal activism, so it took some courage for a woman to take the position she did," said Leonard Leo of the conservative Federalist Society.

"Conservatives should be very happy with this selection," he said.

A friend who worked with Miers on the unsuccessful ABA fight said he did not know her view on abortion.

"Harriet's position was strictly about the appropriateness of any bar association taking a position on something like that," said Dallas lawyer Darrell Jordan. "It had nothing to do whether she was pro-choice or pro-life. That was irrelevant to the issue."

In 1989, Miers donated $150 to the Texans for Life Coalition.

"Does this alone tell me she has a strong philosophical pro-life commitment? No," the group's president, Kyleen Wright, said. "Opinions can change."

Though the majority of her campaign contributions have gone to Republicans, Miers did contribute to Democrat Al Gore's presidential campaign in 1988 as well as to the Democratic National Committee.

Ron Key, who has been Miers' pastor since the early 1980s, said his church is anti-abortion. Key, who recently left Valley View Christian Church to found a new church with Miers and others, stopped short, however, of saying that those beliefs would color her approach to the law.

"The Constitution would be her major influence, I'm sure," he said.

Miers' sister-in-law, state appellate Justice Elizabeth Lang-Miers of the Fifth Court of Appeals in Dallas, was circumspect in discussing Miers' views on abortion or Roe vs. Wade, the ruling that legalized abortion. "I think her judicial philosophy will be to apply the law," Lang-Miers said.

Colleen Parro, a Dallas resident and executive director of the Republican National Coalition for Life, said she agrees that a single donation to an anti-abortion group indicates little about Miers' philosophy.

"That was a long time ago. It's pretty hard to know where she is today. It's a blank slate, and I don't know what to expect now," Parro said. "We would have hoped the president would have chosen one of the many strong candidates out there, and he didn't."

Operation Rescue, an anti-abortion group, urged that Miers' candidacy be rejected, calling her insufficiently conservative.

Abortion-rights groups expressed concern but stopped short of opposing Miers.

"The burden is on the Bush administration and Harriet Miers to prove to the American people that she will respect and protect our fundamental freedoms, including a woman's right to choose," said Nancy Keenan, president of NARAL Pro-Choice America.

Miers is sure to be questioned on abortion by senators from both parties at her confirmation hearing.

Kansas Republican Sen. Sam Brownback, a strong foe of abortion, pointedly declined to issue a statement responding to the nomination. And officials said state and local Republican leaders peppered the White House with questions during a conference call, raising concerns about a lack of a documented Miers record on abortion and about her overall qualifications for the court.

---

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:34:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh boy.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:36:28 PM EDT
[#5]
The President says he "knows" her well and she will be the same 20 yrs from now...  She was raised Catholic and changed to a "reborn"  She was a Democrat and changed to a Republican, looks like she has made at least a couple very large changes...
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Maybe you are though
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:37:57 PM EDT
[#7]
i still think he appointed her in the hopes she would not get affirmed....
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:39:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
i still think he appointed her in the hopes she would not get affirmed....

I'm really starting to believe this myself.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#9]
He appointed her because she's a woman and the dems would shit if he appointed another white guy.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:58:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:08:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/angry4pe/its-a-trap1.jpg

How, exactly, are you at the "extreme end" of the pro-life movement?  You either believe in the sanactity of life or you do not.  There is very little middle ground - unless you are a hypocrite or have little working knowledge of biology.
Matt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top