Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:42:23 PM EDT
[#1]

The southern accent has Celtic origins.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:42:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:45:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Gee I live in NY and talk like a southerner. Not with an accent but my wording is similar.

That's because northern and southern accents are related, despite how much a Bostonian or a Redneck would kick and scream denying it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:47:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Because it annoys yankees.

x2.

Same reason we say "fahr", instead of fire.  Ya'll got a problem?  Git on outta here.

Did you know the three wisemen were firemen?

It's true.  THey came from a fahr.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:48:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Walmart= Walmarts (as in plural Walmart) "I'm goan ta Walmarts"

Batteries=Battries (syllable removed) "I'm goan ta Walmarts to get battries"

going=goan' (butchered English) see above

must have=musta' (not too much of a stretch)

An earlier poster mentioned improper tenses used in a sentence...a sign of ignorance.  I honestly can't figure out why my fellow Tennesseans resort to bad grammar.

With the exception of the noun "Walmart", southerners typically soften hard vowell sounds and shorten multi-syllabic words.  I actually find the shortened, abreviated words kind of endearing.  Just part of growing up here...

It has nothing to do with ignorance or education and more to do with regional differences and history.  I grew up here.  Doctors, lawyers, executives, learn how to speak correctly and there's no reason for a reasonably educated person to use improper grammar.    Ex.  "I come down the road and you wasn't there"...etc,etc.  They sound ignorant.  

The earlier poster is wrong on the bad grammar ignorance stuff… go to Harvard and see for yourself.  Don't have to "go to" Harvard to know this.  There is a difference between southern dialect, word shortening, word combination...these things do NOT in my book denote ignorance.  Improper tense usage/grammar do.

I for one don’t see the advantage or pleasure in seeing everybody in the country sound like some white bread clone of Ohio. Makes me sick to think about it, thank God for the difference.  If you read my post you'd see that I appreciate a substantial portion of the "southern voice" and would never wish it away.  I'm no proponent of like-sounding white-bread people; Again, I appreciate the southern voice.  

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:51:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't say acrost and im from the south.....  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:55:50 PM EDT
[#7]
My grandfather was from NYC and had an Archie Bunker accent. He'd say "gotta put a kert of erl in the car"
One time his wristwatch got ruined because it got "mersture" in it.
My favorite was "terlet".

He was also in the Big One:WWII  and till they day he died he would ALWAYS refer to Japanese people or Japanese products as "lousy stinkin' Japs"
A Sony television was a "lousy stinkin' jap TV" and Toyotas were "lousy stinkin' Jap cars"

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:57:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:58:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why do blacks say "acks" and latinos say "meng"?

OMG. We couldn't ask them to speak proper English now could we...the white man trying to take away part of their heritage. OMG  What is "proper" English?  White english?  Who makes proper english "proper"?

The above are just a few of the comments I can remember hearing in Linguistics Class during my undergrad. work.  for the life of me I can't figure out how I wasn't killed walking to my car after class (by angry mobs of classmates who remain verbally challenged).

For a second I thought you were attacking me and was like "are you SERIOUS?!" then I kept reading. It's an uphill battle in colleges, that's for sure. Keep at it.

I still get pissed off at any person saying "of-TEN" or often and "Illinoise" or Illinois (and I'm from MA!)

Ha NO not attacking you.  BUT you can imagine having a discussion of this nature (my prof. was an african american and I really liked her class...unless we were mulling over this) in a Linguistics class (fascinating really).  
I don't buy in to ebonics although I've done the research.  Improper grammar just tweaks my nuts...oddly enough my girfriend (from woodland mills Tn...BFE) can butcher the English language when she's relaxed with her friends. Sorry, but i associate bad grammar with ignorance (verb tenses, etc.).
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:06:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ha NO not attacking you.  BUT you can imagine having a discussion of this nature (my prof. was an african american and I really liked her class...unless we were mulling over this) in a Linguistics class (fascinating really).  
I don't buy in to ebonics although I've done the research.  Improper grammar just tweaks my nuts...oddly enough my girfriend (from woodland mills Tn...BFE) can butcher the English language when she's relaxed with her friends. Sorry, but i associate bad grammar with ignorance (verb tenses, etc.).

Oh god, Ebonics is a sorry excuse for being uneducated and lazy. It's not like the Jamaicans which actually has derivatives in the Queen's English. Ebonics is pure crap.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Actually, I never have noticed it before. Maybe it's Yankee hearing instead?

No, it's because you're used to it. It's like when I break out my Boston accent. I don't hear it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:08:22 PM EDT
[#12]

I grew up in a predominantly jewish meighborhood and I started to substitute K for G in -ING

As in "I'm thinkink about it . "

I stopped doing that in highschool --- oy vey.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:55:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I ain't nevers heared nobody nevers sayin' nuthin' like that round here.

But, prehaps this quote can be of some help as you continue in your search for an answer:

"Every man should endeavor to understand the meaning of subjugation before it is too late...It means the history of this heroic struggle will be written by the enemy; that our youth will be trained by Northern schoolteachers; will learn from Northern school books their version of the war; will be impressed by the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors, and our maimed veterans as fit objects for derision..."

Maj. Gen Patrick R. Cleburne, CSA
January, 1864
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It seems whenever I am around the kind of people who watch Nascar, smoke peckers, they always pronounce the word "across" with a heavy "T" sound at the end?

What is the reason for this?

I am a redneck, and that's the first time I heard that one.  So if I was you, i wouldn't hang around them peckersmokers anymore.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#15]
prolly cause the rednecks aint got no teeft

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:25:09 PM EDT
[#16]
You guys should hear locals speaking pidgin english over here in Hawaii. That'll definately get you scratchin' your head --"WTF did he just say?" I bet even rednecks would think dem Hawaiians is ignerint.
We don't got much "edgeumacation" in Hawaii.
Another one you hear is chewsday for Tuesday or ingredamints for ingredients.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:14:30 PM EDT
[#17]
to try and offset the asshole dialect(s) of Boston and New York
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:19:11 PM EDT
[#18]
This is a linguistic curiousity stemming from the Scotch-English borderlands circa 1600.  The entire "redneck dialect" emerged whole there before the area was better civilized and Anglicized.  Of course 75% of the immigrants who populated the colonial South came from this same region and thus saved cracker culture from extinction.

The terms "cracker" and "redneck" came from that place and time and predated the Southern colonies.

See Thomas Sowell's "Black Rednecks and White Liberals"
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:54:58 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
This is a linguistic curiousity stemming from the Scotch-English borderlands circa 1600.  The entire "redneck dialect" emerged whole there before the area was better civilized and Anglicized.  Of course 75% of the immigrants who populated the colonial South came from this same region and thus saved cracker culture from extinction.

The terms "cracker" and "redneck" came from that place and time and predated the Southern colonies.

Yep, and most folks don't know what a "redneck" really is. Yankees later twisted it all up and hung on Southerners much, much later.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:59:25 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Why do Yankees call soda or coke "POP"?

It does not go pop when opened, It goes whooosh, fizzle.

It's soda POP.  Soda describes it.  the majority of the people of this country call it pop.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:03:51 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
It seems whenever I am around the kind of people who watch Nascar, they always pronounce the word "across" with a heavy "T" sound at the end?

What is the reason for this?

Oh, gee. Regional dialect ? Slang ? How will I get this acrost to you ?
(Why would it matter?)
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:24:54 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

We don't. We call it soda. The only people I've met who call soda "pop" are from the midwest or the Ohio River states. No self-respecting person in New England would call it "pop".
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:42:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:46:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Tuiste = twice
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:49:23 AM EDT
[#25]
I notice a trend.   Those that call it "soda" tend to vote Democrat overall.  I am glad I call it pop and from an area that calls it pop.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:17:34 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
They ain't saying acrost their saying aww Christ another dam yankee..

With such attitudes, no wonder this gun owner (me) still lives in his home state of Massachusetts....I'd like to move south or west, but I'd always be looked down upon as a "Yankee". Oh well.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:23:49 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's soda POP.  Soda describes it.  the majority of the people of this country call it pop.

In MA, as kids in the 60s and 70s, we called it "tonic".

And BTW NOBODY in MA talks like the Kennedys. Nobody.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:51:30 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, and most folks don't know what a "redneck" really is. Yankees later twisted it all up and hung on Southerners much, much later.

So, are you just going to tease us or are you going to explain how cracker and redneck originiated?

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:30:28 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe I'm being ethnocentric with our higher literacy rate and all.  Everyone is so damn insensitive around here lately, even me.

take off 'eh

www.pipcom.com/~pepe/hosers.jpg

You hoser!

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:02:19 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe I'm being ethnocentric with our higher literacy rate and all.  Everyone is so damn insensitive around here lately, even me.

take off 'eh

www.pipcom.com/~pepe/hosers.jpg

You hoser!

Steamroller!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top