Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2005 10:10:21 AM EDT
Went to ship my Ruger Bearcat .22 back to the manufacturer today for a safety upgrade.

Read the UPS website and it stated that I could ship my handgun to a "licensed manufacturer".

Went to the counter to ship it. The girl demands a copy of Rugers FFL  license. I pull out the regs and it says nothing about displaying a copy of the license, and besides, Ruger is not a FFL.

She tells me, NO FFL licesnse, no shipping - NO EXCEPTIONS.

I asked to speak to her supervisor, waited 15 minutes and no one shows up. I now have to leave to pick up a sick kid at school.

What the hell is up with UPS?????????????
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:15:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:17:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Fed Ex.  I have no problems using their services.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:17:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Of course Ruger has a FFL but they aren't about to send it to you. All manufacturers are required to have a FFL. I assume you were you at a UPS counter and not a UPS store. They should ship it back to Ruger without you having a copy of their license.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You need to go to the main UPS terminal.  The UPS stores will not ship firearms.

I shipped a long gun at the terminal too.  The guys popped it open and said "It's not an Assault rifle, so we can ship it"
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:55:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I was at the right UPS terminal.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:01:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Repeat after me..."MACHINE PARTS" insured for $500 (or whatever)
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:02:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:07:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Fed Ex.  I have no problems using their services.

+1
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If you are converting an old model Bearcat to the new action then they did you a favor.

It will ruin the collector value and make it worth 1/2 what it is now.

Go buy a new model BC and leave that one alone!

Why would you say that?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:05:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you are converting an old model Bearcat to the new action then they did you a favor.

It will ruin the collector value and make it worth 1/2 what it is now.

Go buy a new model BC and leave that one alone!

Ruger sends back the original parts in a little plastic bag.  The main problen is Ruger sometimes takes it upon themselves to totally refinish the revolver when they do the parts update.  

No, wait...   that isn't that much of a problem at all having Ruger restore an old gun to factory finish for free.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:12:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

ATF regs require you to notify a common carrier that you are shipping a handgun.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:18:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ATF regs require you to notify a common carrier that you are shipping a handgun.  

Which makes absolutely no fucking sense considering that right after it says that, it says that the carrier is forbidden from putting any sort of marking on the package that shows it is a handgun.

Really, what's the point in telling them?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:19:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is no requirement to notify a common carrier when shipping a firearm to a FFL. All firearms manufacturers are FFL holders. You must notify a common carrier when shipping a firearm to a non-licensee.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:22:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Which makes absolutely no fucking sense considering that right after it says that, it says that the carrier is forbidden from putting any sort of marking on the package that shows it is a handgun.

Really, what's the point in telling them?

When shipping to a non-licensee the shipper is required to obtain an adult signature upon delivery.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:23:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is no requirement to notify a common carrier when shipping a firearm to a FFL. All firearms manufacturers are FFL holders. You must notify a common carrier when shipping a firearm to a non-licensee.

You sure about that?  I see no mention of it applying to one and not the other.

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier? [Back]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be
used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract
carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:32:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You sure about that?  I see no mention of it applying to one and not the other.

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier? [Back]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be
used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract
carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

Yes the FAQ is wrong. This is the regulation.

§478.31 Delivery by common or contract carrier.

(a) No person shall knowingly deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped: Provided, That any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of that trip without violating any provision of this part.

(b) No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container indicating that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.

(c) No common or contract carrier shall transport or deliver in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm or ammunition with knowledge or reasonable cause to believe that the shipment, transportation, or receipt thereof would be in violation of any provision of this part: Provided, however, That the provisions of this paragraph shall not apply in respect to the transportation of firearms or ammunition in in-bond shipment under Customs laws and regulations.

(d) No common or contract carrier shall knowingly deliver in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm without obtaining written acknowledgement of receipt from the recipient of the package or other container in which there is a firearm: Provided, That this paragraph shall not apply with respect to the return of a firearm to a passenger who places firearms in the carrier's custody for the duration of the trip.

[33 FR 18555, Dec. 14, 1968. Redesignated at 40 FR 16385, Apr. 15, 1975, and amended by T.D. ATF–354, 59 FR 7112, Feb. 14, 1994; T.D. ATF–361, 60 FR 10786, Feb. 27, 1995]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:35:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I've shipped surgical equipment ($1200) before.  No problems.  

R.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:35:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Awesome.  Thanks for clarifying.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top