Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2005 10:40:36 AM EDT
I live in a subdivision outside of springfield with little or no traffic. A lot of people have three or more cars and have to park at least one vehicle on the street. We have three trucks plus a trailer. I have to park on the street so everyone else can leave in the morning (i work nights so im asleep when they leave) and we also have a trailer parked on the street that we are trying to sell (it comes with a KTM 250).

About an hour ago a LEO pulls up and gave our neighbor and I $25 tickets on our trailers I would have had one for my truck too had the neighbor lady and I not argued with the guy about it. It turns out the ticket itself is for parking in violation of consecutive time limit (there's a limit?). We've parked on the street for over four years without this ever happening, it's BULLSHIT.

The LEO is comming back after 5 to make sure our trailer is moved and if its not he's gonna give us both another $25 ticket.

<RANT DONE>
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:42:37 AM EDT
[#1]
What kind of gun does he have?  15 round mag?  unleesh 16 dogs on him.

Post pics
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:44:32 AM EDT
[#2]
two shepards but they won't do nothin unless he comes into the yard
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:44:45 AM EDT
[#3]
He's protecting and serving you. Don't you feel safer?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:45:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Lemon Laws.  

It's how that inbred asshole down the street with his non-operational VW Bus with melted tires from parking the eye-sore on the street for as long as he lives there.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:51:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Mauser101 is right.  Minneapolis law says you can't park in the same spot for over 24 or 48 hrs.  I can't remember which.  It's only a problem if someone complains.  

So, which one of your neighbors complained?  FOX foam under the door handle of his car?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:58:00 AM EDT
[#6]
It's YOUR responsibility to be aware of and abide by the laws. It's the cop's responsibility to enforce them. Just because you've gotten by using the public thoroghfare as a personal used car lot for years doesn't mean it's legal or right. Personally, I hate seeing vehicles parked in the street. The street is for driving on. If you have more vehicles than parking space on your property, please don't share the problem with those of us using the street for its intended purpose. Worst offenders: those who park on the wrong side of the road.

If you're convinced that you were right and the cop was wrong, you need to fight the ticket in court.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:39:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Mauser101 is right.  Minneapolis law says you can't park in the same spot for over 24 or 48 hrs.  I can't remember which.  It's only a problem if someone complains.  

So, which one of your neighbors complained?  FOX foam under the door handle of his car?

Yep.

And +1 on the Fox foam.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#8]
It's all about public safety.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:52:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It's all about public safety.

No, it's all about quailty of life.  That OTHER thing that occupies police officer's time.

Bottom line,  someone has a case of the redass and complained.  Do what I do.  Put them in a storage lot. No one likes a junkyard on their street.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:54:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I have 3 neighbors with large RV's parked on my street and I can barely get oround them. I cant' stand ppl who park on the street when they have driveways!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Park the trailer on the other side of the street if the statute is vague enough to get away with this??

Get before and after pics.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#12]

My GUESS is that you have one of your neighbors to thank for this.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:02:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like you have a do gooder in your subdivision who doesn't like looking at your trailer but won't sack up and ask you to parkit out of sight.

Sounds like my goofed up neighborhood... without the tickets.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:06:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Exactly.

Moline Illinois has the same 48 hour time limit.
Police rarely enforce it unless there is a complaint.

AND, there is usually a warning first.  
(brother-in-law lives in springfield, and has nothing good to say about the law enforcement there)

I tried simply moving a car from one side of the street to the other
(when I lived in Moline) and the officer corrected me saying that
the odometer had to show that I've driven the vehicle.

They put a tow sticker on the car when I put a Post-It note over the odometer.

The games we play.

But I've never had to pay a ticket.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:11:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:11:49 PM EDT
[#16]
You were parked there for 4 years and only got one ticket? Talk about beating the odds. You're lucky it didn't get towed as abandoned.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:12:38 PM EDT
[#17]
It sucks but look at it this way, $25.00 bucks for 4 years of parking.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:13:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like one of your neighbor doesn't like you.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:31:34 PM EDT
[#19]
A neighbor probably complained.

Can you put the trailer next to or behind the garage? (check laws on that too! They may require covering with a tarp, or tarp may be illegal, you never know)

Maybe when you get home late at night you can move the early-riser's car out to the street and put your truck in the driveway or something.  There should be some way you can rotate vehicles without having to park on the street, or at least not having to park on the street all night.  Is there really no space left in the driveway, or is just a hassle to move cars around?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:49:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:09:01 AM EDT
[#21]
$25 is a cheap education.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:12:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Your ignorance of your city's laws, your disdain for such laws, and your complaining will get you only one thing, Put on the secret watch list for every violation they can throw at you. Just comply and don't park your extra vehicles and trailers on the street taking up everyone else's parking.

This is typical of most cities to have a time limit for vehicles to park without being abandoned.

Resistance is futile.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:13:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Home owners association??
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:13:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Home owners association??

My subdivision does have one but we don't belong.

I parked on the street for four years but it was only during the day for the most part since i work at night and sleep during the day.

We moved both trailers into an empty lot next to my house (with owners permission).

Hopefully I'll find out who dunnit and i might be able to exact a little revenge
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:22:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly.

Moline Illinois has the same 48 hour time limit.
Police rarely enforce it unless there is a complaint.

AND, there is usually a warning first.  
(brother-in-law lives in springfield, and has nothing good to say about the law enforcement there)

I tried simply moving a car from one side of the street to the other
(when I lived in Moline) and the officer corrected me saying that
the odometer had to show that I've driven the vehicle.

They put a tow sticker on the car when I put a Post-It note over the odometer.

The games we play.

But I've never had to pay a ticket.

What about newer cars with a digital odometer that's only lit when the car is running?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top