Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2005 5:12:35 PM EDT
This afternoon my wife, 2 kids (8 and 5) and I are travelling home from her sister's house in Katy,TX.  We are on a road that leads to the highway we take home to College Station.  We are just about to the major intersection and we come up on a trailer park off to the left side of the road.  Well there is this punk looking hispanic in his early 20s beating up on this girl trying to get in her car.  This is Sunday afternoon in broad daylight.  She is holding a laundry basket and he keeps pushing her hard against the car and screaming in her face.  I grab the cell phone and call 911 as we pass by and I look for a place to turn around.  We turn around and head back, I grab my Glock27 and my extra 13rd Glock23 magazine.  I told my wife that if he is still wailing on her that I was going to jump out and that she and the kids should continue down the road a bit and stay on the line with 911.  We drive back and the guy's friends look like they intervened.  The girl got in her car and left.  So I just slowed down and took liscence plate numbers and gave them to the 911 operator.

A few things:

I was always conscious that I had my wife and kids with me.  I would not confront him while they were still in the immediate area.

I was not going to let this guy beat the girl to a pulp.  She was literally standing there with her head down holding a laundry basket while he was abusing her.

If when I returned he was still hitting her, he would soon have a pistol pointed in his direction, no doubt.

It is true I didn't know the situation, but is there an excuse for the beating she was taking?

And, finally, unless the deputies found something to arrest him on besides my phone call, she will probably return to him tonight.  That is really the sad part.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:16:44 PM EDT
[#1]
ar15bubba: You did well today.  You got involved when no one else did.  You did your small part to make this world a better place.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:17:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Survival of the fittest.

AB
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:21:03 PM EDT
[#3]
sounds like a bad situation....hope all turned out well
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#4]
My grampas buddy stopped a domestic violence once. This dude was REALLY beating his wife/girlfriend outside a grocery store. My grandads buddy went over and told him to stop, dude ignored him so he MADE him stop. While grampas friend was fighting with the guy doing the abusing, his wife/girfriend came back and hit grampas buddy in the back with a crowbar. He lived the rest of his life a parapalegic.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:33:28 PM EDT
[#5]

While grampas friend was fighting with the guy doing the abusing, his wife/girfriend came back and hit grampas buddy in the back with a crowbar. He lived the rest of his life a parapalegic.

Oh I didn't plan on fighting fair with the guy like you grandpa or his friend did.  I guess if she came after me with a crowbar I would have had to shoot her too.  Now that would be a bad situation!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
This afternoon my wife, 2 kids (8 and 5) and I are travelling home from her sister's house in Katy,TX.  We are on a road that leads to the highway we take home to College Station.  We are just about to the major intersection and we come up on a trailer park off to the left side of the road.  Well there is this punk looking hispanic in his early 20s beating up on this girl trying to get in her car.  This is Sunday afternoon in broad daylight.  She is holding a laundry basket and he keeps pushing her hard against the car and screaming in her face.  I grab the cell phone and call 911 as we pass by and I look for a place to turn around.  We turn around and head back, I grab my Glock27 and my extra 13rd Glock23 magazine.  I told my wife that if he is still wailing on her that I was going to jump out and that she and the kids should continue down the road a bit and stay on the line with 911.  We drive back and the guy's friends look like they intervened.  The girl got in her car and left.  So I just slowed down and took liscence plate numbers and gave them to the 911 operator.

A few things:

I was always conscious that I had my wife and kids with me.  I would not confront him while they were still in the immediate area.

I was not going to let this guy beat the girl to a pulp.  She was literally standing there with her head down holding a laundry basket while he was abusing her.

If when I returned he was still hitting her, he would soon have a pistol pointed in his direction, no doubt.

It is true I didn't know the situation, but is there an excuse for the beating she was taking?

And, finally, unless the deputies found something to arrest him on besides my phone call, she will probably return to him tonight.  That is really the sad part.

Dumb thing for a family man to get involved on the ground.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:38:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Unless you are a Cop... keep the bad actor in sight and 911.
A gun is not a crime fighting badge.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
ar15bubba: You did well today.  You got involved when no one else did.  You did your small part to make this world a better place.

+1

Good man.  It's time we all stopped turning our backs on scumbags like this.

CMOS
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

While grampas friend was fighting with the guy doing the abusing, his wife/girfriend came back and hit grampas buddy in the back with a crowbar. He lived the rest of his life a parapalegic.

Oh I didn't plan on fighting fair with the guy like you grandpa or his friend did.  I guess if she came after me with a crowbar I would have had to shoot her too.  Now that would be a bad situation!

Yep. The kind of bad situation that's gonna probably cost you your house in attorney fees and might end up with your kid visiting daddy in prison. Unless that girl was in peril of losing her life, or at least being seriously hurt, pulling a gun would have been an incredibly stupid and irresponsible choice, IMO.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:43:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Scum on scum? The only intervention they needed was for you to hand them both weapons.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:43:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

That is what I ended up doing.  I will clarify that I would act with my weapon only if his abuse of her escalated to life threatening.

Of course a gun isnt a crime fighting badge, but I would not waste my time training with one if I wouldn't use it to save my life or that of another innocent when possible.  I mean hell, I was put on hold for almost a minute while the first 911 I called connected me to Harris Co. 911.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:45:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:46:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

And cops usually only get there in time to clean up the mess.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:46:49 PM EDT
[#14]
observe and report. Especially with your family. What happens if ya get out and confront him. ......Then his buddies/ neighbors come out?  Your car is parked down the road ..... Now what? Bet his buddies aren't gonna be concerned with him hitting his G/F as a first priority. Domestic violence is a bad situation, even for a PD officer.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Did he have his requisite Machismo wife-beater shirt on? Gotta have that wife-beater shirt on if he's gonna be upholding his strong Machismo family values.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:51:42 PM EDT
[#16]
you did well by calling 911.  i probably would have approached the situation differently though.

as expressed above the CCW is not a badge.  that being said your obligations are purely moral- so you're right in that you had to do something.

i've read that one of the best ways to stop this sorta thing is with a car horn/voice.  yelling and honking draws a lot of attention- and if others join in then he'll feel the pressure and no one has to get in the middle.  you could also throw things, but since you had your family with you that really wasn't an option (with the way i have this playing out in my mind).

you did good though, you were a good witness and you gave the police what they needed to do thier job.  you're right though, she will go back- sad thing.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:55:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Did he have his requisite Machismo wife-beater shirt on? Gotta have that wife-beater shirt on if he's gonna be upholding his strong Machismo family values.

130lbs, black tank top, some kind of tat on his arm and baggy shorts.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep. The kind of bad situation that's gonna probably cost you your house in attorney fees and might end up with your kid visiting daddy in prison. Unless that girl was in peril of losing her life, or at least being seriously hurt, pulling a gun would have been an incredibly stupid and irresponsible choice, IMO.

You seem to forget that they were in Texas. The laws down there are very lenient about drawing down on someone. I am no expert but can't you legally kill someone for breaking into your car? Protection of your property?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:57:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
My grampas buddy stopped a domestic violence once. This dude was REALLY beating his wife/girlfriend outside a grocery store. My grandads buddy went over and told him to stop, dude ignored him so he MADE him stop. While grampas friend was fighting with the guy doing the abusing, his wife/girfriend came back and hit grampas buddy in the back with a crowbar. He lived the rest of his life a parapalegic.

This is the kind of thing that would make me vote "yes" to a question of genocide on ghetto trash everywhere.

Fucking bitch.  PLEASE tell me he sued her AND that she went to prison for a long time.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:00:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Domestic disturbances are one of the worst situations for a CCW holder to involve himself in.  Emotions are high, you dont have the backstory, and when its all over you can bet the happy couple will clean up for court, settle their differences, and make you look like a meddling gun who needs to be locked up.

Cops commonly find themselves attacked by the "victims" of domestic violence when they arrest the suspects.

Always remember a woman getting beat once by her man is a crime. The second and third times are lifestyle choises.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:12:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

A few things:

If you ended up shooting the guy, don't tell the police that you grabbed your extra mag!
It wouldn't have mattered anyway as most likely the girl would side with the guy beating her and you would lose everything and go to jail.
For all you know she just got done shooting up heroin and the boyfriend came home and found his child playing with the needle in the middle of the living room floor and the guy lost his cool. Not saying that it's right but shit happens. I try to keep my nose out of other people's shit, it's not worth me losing my family and my rights.  Just my opinion...

-John
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:18:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
sounds like a bad situation....hope all turned out well

+1,000,000.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:24:05 PM EDT
[#23]
This is good thread.  A few weeks ago I saw some dude along the road acting very agressively toward some woman who had gotten out of his car.  I figured if I saw him hit her, I would go over and whoop his ass for him.  Now I see that not only was it a good thing I kept driving, but that I should keep out of such crap in the future - you guys are right, the woman probably would side with the guy.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:11:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
We are just about to the major intersection and we come up on a trailer park off to the left side of the road.  Well there is this punk looking hispanic in his early 20s beating up on this girl trying to get in her car.  This is Sunday afternoon in broad daylight.  She is holding a laundry basket and he keeps pushing her hard against the car and screaming in her face.

Ah, illegal alien love! Don't interfere, that's how they romance each other.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
you did well by calling 911.  i probably would have approached the situation differently though.

as expressed above the CCW is not a badge.  that being said your obligations are purely moral- so you're right in that you had to do something.

i've read that one of the best ways to stop this sorta thing is with a car horn/voice.  yelling and honking draws a lot of attention- and if others join in then he'll feel the pressure and no one has to get in the middle.  you could also throw things, but since you had your family with you that really wasn't an option (with the way i have this playing out in my mind).

you did good though, you were a good witness and you gave the police what they needed to do thier job.  you're right though, she will go back- sad thing.

Yep, driving within earshot, honk, yell that you have called 911.  If the guy doesn't stop, he's either high on something or he intends to do real harm.  I've done this twice in 10 yrs, both times the hitting stopped and the people took off.  People act very differently if they think someone's watching
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Stay out of domestic violence disputes.  After somebody stops him from beating her she goes right back to him the next night.  I applaud your doing the right thing but it is usually a wasted effort.  Typical scenario you save her life, she sues you for wrongful death of the piece of shit beating her.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:29:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:32:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Good job

But  posting it here is just asking for a critique from the cordura commandos and shit house lawyers that never leave the house or the puter.

Sometimes being a MAN involves direct action and you accepted  that,  

Bravo for not doing nothing and being a MAN .
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:50:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:31:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is the kind of thing that would make me vote "yes" to a question of genocide on ghetto trash everywhere.

Fucking bitch.  PLEASE tell me he sued her AND that she went to prison for a long time.

Not really sure what happened after. It's been 20 or so years since I heard the story and it probably happened long before he ever told me. My guess is they didn't stick around long enough after breaking his back to give him their names for the lawsuit.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:10:06 AM EDT
[#31]
I faced a similar situation like this one day in Oak Ridge, TN.  Driving along, guy beating his girlfriend, she gets in her car, he's dragging her out of it.  I pull over about a half block past, keep them in view, and call 911.  I wasn't about to intervene, as it was a bad area and the one time I tried to get involved during a slightly similar occurrence I almost got killed for my troubles.

So, I call 911 and report it.  The bitch on the other end says, "You just left?  Why didn't you do something?"  I said, "Lady, your Police HQ is 2 blocks away, I'm not a cop, and I don't want to get killed or get my ass beaten or get arrested for shooting the perp.  WTF?"

Simply amazing.

Call me a wimp, but my SOP now is to not get involved, call the Po-Po, and keep moving along.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:26:25 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
In reality what would have happened is you would have got the guy down to protect the woman, the woman would have sucker punched you with a baseball bat for threatining her man. Then they would have robbed you and taken your gun.

...uh...I dont think so.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:37:47 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Scum on scum? The only intervention they needed was for you to hand them both weapons.

Yeah, the best way to take care of that situation. I used to work with a guy that said the best way to end gang/ ghetto crime was to give every ghetto kid a hangun and only one Nike. Still laugh at that.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:39:48 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Precisely.

This is why I NEVER get involved with Domestic Violence.  The most I will do is ask if the guy in question is the girl's boyfriend or husband.  If they say I "yes" then I say "carry on" and walk away.  Cuz if it ain't a kidnapping then it AIN'T worth dealing with. PERIOD.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#35]
So pretty much this same thing happened to me last night. I was in Wal-Mart getting some ammo and a 2006 hunting license.  I come out and the black couple was fighting...well pretty much the guy was yelling at her, walking around, getting all in her face.  They had a small kid with them like 2 years old sitting in their cart  At one point he reached behind himself (like where I conceal my weapon), but I think he just scratched himself  I just sit in my truck about 50yrds away just watching for like 15 min.  The guy yanks the kid rather roughly out of the cart like he’s going to leave.  At this point I called the cops and they came and took care of it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top