Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2005 7:05:41 PM EDT

Imam Due to be NYFD Chaplain Drops Bid over Remarks

10/1/2005

- An imam due to be sworn in as a New York Fire Department chaplain dropped his bid for the position on Friday after being quoted as saying he doubted al Qaeda hijackers were solely responsible for toppling the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001.

Imam Intikab Habib, 30, told a New York newspaper in an interview published on Friday that a broader conspiracy may have led to the Sept. 11 destruction of the twin towers after two hijacked planes crashed into them, setting them ablaze and killing 2,749 people, including 343 firefighters.

Habib had been due to be sworn in on Friday when he was quoted in Newsday as saying he doubted the U.S. government's version of the towers' collapse.

"I've heard professionals say that nowhere ever in history did a steel building come down with fire alone," he told Newsday. "Was it 19 hijackers who pulled it down, or was it a conspiracy?"

Habib told a local TV station on Friday that stepping aside was "the right thing to do for the department. I was given the chance of resigning or not. I did not want to, but it was best for the department."

Fire Department chief Nicholas Scoppetta said in a statement that based on Habib's comments he "would have been unable to effectively serve in the role he was appointed to."

In the interview, Habib offered no theories on who else might have been involved. He called the attacks tragic and said he did not expect to raise his doubts with firefighters.

The newspaper said Habib, a native of Guyana who was educated in Saudi Arabia, was answering a question about whether he thought firefighters would accept a chaplain with connections to Saudi Arabia. Fifteen of the 19 hijackers involved in the Sept. 11 attacks were Saudi nationals.

"Every single firefighter is outraged by the comments made by the imam," firefighters' union chief Stephen Cassidy said at a news conference. "Everybody is entitled to their opinion but not when you are hired as a religious leader of the New York City Fire Department."

Reuters

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:26:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

"I've heard professionals say that nowhere ever in history did a steel building come down with fire alone," he told Newsday. "Was it 19 hijackers who pulled it down, or was it a conspiracy?"

Those are some dumb professionals.

1. Large plane crashes into building= damaged structure
2. Burning jet fuel =high heat, steel loses strength as it gets hot

What do we get?

Damaged building+ weakened steel due to fire= building falls down.

How many Muslims are there in the NYFD? Why would there be a Imam for a Chaplain? Sounded like some pansy-ass libtard "mending fences" appointment.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:27:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#3]
But they said "Pull it"!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:44:48 PM EDT
[#4]
WTF is an imam being sworn as a chaplain for?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:49:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
WTF is an imam being sworn as a chaplain for?

fucking PC bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#6]
If I am not mistaken, he's from Guyana (a small country on the coast of South America).  There are lots of Guyanese Muslims in New York and not surprisingly, the majority of them subscribe to his point of view.  Just last week, I heard another Guyanese Muslim comment that the Hurrican Katrina and Rita disasters are God's (or Allah's, rather) retribution against the Americans for the war in Iraq (and even Afghanistan).

I would have said something but that was not in my best financial interest (translation: don't argue with the boss).

Justin
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:54:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Dupa-fly!

He resigned anyways.

Check out today's Newsday.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#8]
It's sad that people like that held a high position in this society...
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:09:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Have a LINK to the article???
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:02:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:04:58 PM EDT
[#11]
[tinfoil hat] See? They ousted someone for speaking the truth! It MUST be real!!! [/tinfoil hat]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top