Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2005 3:39:07 PM EDT
For myself definitely yes. Probably another handgun, another good shottie like an 870 and more ammo, don't know about MREs yet or where to get it, but the Honda generator at Homey D looks good to me
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:48:04 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
For myself definitely yes. Probably another handgun, another good shottie like an 870 and more ammo, don't know about MREs yet or where to get it, but the Honda generator at Homey D looks good to me

didnt take NOLA  to make me wanna be prepared............

hit the arfcom survival forum for all the other info on gear and stuff...
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:49:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I already did.

280 rounds of .223 in 6 30 round mags and one 100 round mag.

I'll be getting some low-recoil buckshot soon.

I'll also be gettin' some MREs and a crank radio.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:52:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Not more guns. I've decided the money would be better spent on more mags, ammo, and kit.

Guns are on the list anyway. I need a G3 or FAL.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Does what you see in N.O. make you want to get more firearms and stockpile stuff?  

No.  It makes we want to NOT live in a corrupt, below sea level city in a hurricane zone heavily populated with inherently violent people.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:59:34 PM EDT
[#5]
No, what I saw in NO makes me wish that I could get in on an SHTF scenario so that I could start using all the crap that I already have stockpiled.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I didn't need NOLA to make me do that, but it just happened to make it more difficult to do it since others are now in the same frame of mind.

It did kick me up a notch though. Made me less of a "thinker" and more of a "doer".
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:28:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Just coming on this site is enough for most of us to want another gun
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#8]
[ Does what you see in N.O. make you want to get more firearms and stockpile stuff?  /quote]

No.

But I does reinforce what I already know will happen in the big cities when SHTF.

Get the hell out of the big cities and away from large populations of you know what.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#9]
You need to also have battery powers lights, lots of AA batts, MREs, cases of bottled water, gas(20 or more gallons at a minimum), toilet paper, paper towels, 20-50k gen(for a/c, well,lights and the fridge) or a 3k if you just want lights etc and wood for a stove(if you have one).

5gal cans are cheap if you have to evacuate you dont want to be a statistic on the side of the evac route.

Also you need some cash on hand $500 min, getting you family to safety is pricless so put it aside when possible.

In N.O no ATMS worked so everyone was SOL until they made it to Hammonds N.O(45 miles away)

A pool is a good source of water for washing, tolet etc. And you can enjoy it in the summer

I keep 1000+ rds of ammo of 5.56, 7.62, 9mm 22LR on hand and 200-400rds of 12 guage.

If you can afford it get more.

Being in New Orleans has changed my whole outlook on what I need here at the house for when The SHTF.

FREE
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:13:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:16:55 PM EDT
[#11]
More guns?  No....

More ammo?  Definitely yes.  

Walmarts down here in South Houston shut down their guns and ammo sections at 2PM on Wednesday of Rita, and literally locked them up somewhere in the warehouse.  Academy Sports kept theirs out, but there was a tremendous rush for ammo-and some guns.  We were pretty good ammo-wise, but not enough for a super-high level of comfort.  I want no less than 500 rounds per gun at a minimum, and ideally we'd have 1000 as a lower threshold.

HH
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:19:08 PM EDT
[#12]
UHHHH YAAAA- I went and got some more the very next day, 3K later......
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Not more guns. I've decided the money would be better spent on more mags, ammo, and kit.

Guns are on the list anyway. I need a G3 or FAL.

Definitely need a .308 with scope. FAL for me.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:23:09 PM EDT
[#14]
You're going to need more than guns.

Guns are only there to protect the stuff you need to survive.

If you don't have any water, that Remington 870 isn't going to help you a bit.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:30:13 PM EDT
[#15]
nope. makes me wanna focus on having specialized tools for specific tasks and focus on being prepared to bug out to a better location.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:33:53 PM EDT
[#16]
so far i only have about 400 rds of .223, 800 rds of 7.62x39, 300 rds of .40, 100 rds of 9mm and 50 shells of 12 ga.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
so far i only have about 400 rds of .223, 800 rds of 7.62x39, 300 rds of .40, 100 rds of 9mm and 50 shells of 12 ga.

Okay, how much water do you have?

Food?

Gas?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:41:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

didnt take NOLA  to make me wanna be prepared............

hit the arfcom survival forum for all the other info on gear and stuff...

+1
Remember you can't survive without water and food either.
Stock up on that as well, or you will end up as a looter.
Stock up on ammo too, or you will end up dead.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Food?

Gas?

i was hoping to come over to your house , i'm working on the food, water and gas stuff. I'm just starting to read about survival stuff, good opp to spend money!

what is the best company to buy MREs from? i read the FAQs in Survival, but so many dealers. is this company good? www7.mailordercentral.com/longlifefood/home.asp
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#20]
No it makes me want to live as far away from the ghetto as i can get.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:51:58 PM EDT
[#21]
No, I think people should quit hoarding ammunition and use some of it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#22]
NO made me think more about food/water than guns & ammo.  I do need to get some more .45, but I already have about 6000rds between 7.62 for the FAL and 5.56 for the AR.  Maybe need some more mags for the AR and pistol.

Seeing the Rita evacuation in Texas has me thinking I need to fill my 5gal diesel cans when I get home.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
No, I think people should quit hoarding ammunition and use some of it.

how fast can you run i certainly use it at the range and keep a nominal supply too.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:57:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Food?

Gas?

i was hoping to come over to your house , i'm working on the food, water and gas stuff. I'm just starting to read about survival stuff, good opp to spend money!

what is the best company to buy MREs from? i read the FAQs in Survival, but so many dealers. is this company good? www7.mailordercentral.com/longlifefood/home.asp

Okay - that was the point I was trying to make.  By your ammo descriptions, you have at least five firearms and better than 1500 rounds.  You're need to set aside your gun/ammo commitments until you can take care of the others.

Water is easy.  Buy some 7-gallon Aquatainers for 7 bucks at Wallyworld.  With just one, you're buying yourself a week's worth of water at the cost of a dollar a day.  Not bad, eh?

Food - you don't have to have MREs to be set there.  MREs are very expensive.  For your first line requirements, you can do just fine by buying extra at your local supermarket.

Gas is a little more difficult.  You have to have the cans and someplace safe to store it.

Go spend a bit more time in the Survival Forum and you'll be surprised at what you pick up there.  Preparing your gun & ammo requirements for a SHTF scenario is fun and all, but that is one one of many requirements that you'll need to be truly prepared.

Survival Forum <----- can be found right here.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I have far more guns and ammo than I will ever need. Also, plenty of flashlights, batteries, and first aid stuff.

But I am lacking in MREs, water, and gasoline.

I need to get cracking.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:12:30 PM EDT
[#26]
What help me in the light dept. was a rechargale spot light that can be charged on 120ac(when running gen) or 12volts from car. I also had a light that took the battery backs from the battery powered drill which was charged up when running the gen. I also had AA recharable about 20 of those. I lacked a weapon light which I just picked up. Night vision would be nice. I had gasoline for gen, bottled water, food, ammo and a dry place. All bests are off if you get flooded. And you can get a tidal surge like over 30' on the coast . Mississippi was above sealevel . I say this if Galvison took a direct hit from a storm then towards Houston, the size and power of Katrina, Houston would have been looted.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:29:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I have plenty of guns.ammo,food,water,lights,energy source`s,TP,and the like. But after what
happened in Houston with the lack of gas, I now have five 6gal.and two 5 gal. cans of gas out in the barn.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:38:40 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Food?

Gas?

I am going to wait a few days and then start eating looters and drinking their Heineken.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:44:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Actually it made me look into a chain saw and a rubber raft.  I figure I could hold out on the top floor for a while with what I have, then I'd need the chain saw to cut my way out and a boat to go shopping when I run low.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#31]
There will be no electricity for the fan and I plan to side step the shit.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:06:41 PM EDT
[#32]
My ammo stockpile seems to grow at a rate of 1,000rds a month at least, and Katrina didnt change anything. I've also bought 3 more pistols and 1 rifle since katrina( U22 Neos, Bulgarian Makarov, Walther 'AC 41' P.38, RC 98k mauser), but it was not the factor for their purchase.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Nope.

My collection has reached a point of balance.

I have purchased everything I could possibly need in either a SHTF or EOTWAWKI situation.

please provide GPS coordinates to your house, after armageddon it will take about 7-10 to reach your house in Cali from Ohio
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:21:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Not REALLY - BUT the whole NOLA thing made me THINK a bit more about the potential for LONG TERM no electric, and to thinking about more food that the cats can eathaving a 2 month supply, minimum, IMO - basically it's helping me get MORE prepared. I think I'm good on ammo and food for ME and even my folks and grandfolks. But the cats.... (I'm a bad mother) only have like... 3 weeks worth
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:25:20 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm covered pretty damn good on guns & ammo.............It's all the other shit I need
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:31:09 PM EDT
[#36]
It hammered home that a supply of safe water is essential.  I have stored some 2.5 gallon spring water containers, but nothing for extended emergencies.  I had planned on boiling or bleaching water if needed, but decided to recently add a water filter/purifier.

Also ordered more ammo  Something I had already been doing anyway for the past couple months.

If anyone learns one lesson from NO, it should be that in a SHTF situation, if you need something (gas, guns, ammo, food, water, baby formula, dog food, etc.), you had better have it on hand before the $hit goes down.  Remember to stock up before the hoarders get all of the good stuff!!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:25:38 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
No, what I saw in NO makes me wish that I could get in on an SHTF scenario so that I could start using all the crap that I already have stockpiled.

+10 for honesty.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#38]
I took a look at my Earthquake kit, and added safety equipment like hardhats, a crowbar and  and axe, and water purification stuff.

Other than that, I'm pretty complete.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:57:01 AM EDT
[#39]
I started hanging around the Survival FOrum last year and pretty much started making SHTF preparations  in June. First it started with a Bug-Out-Bag, which grew to a Be-Back-In-A-While-Bag as it grew. Next came food storage. I started with MRE's and CWR's, then we started doing group buys of Mountain House freeze dried food. I'm a little light on stored water (but do have a kick ass filter/purifier), other than that that and toilet paper, I'm good for a year without basic services.

How many of you (who aren't regulars on the SF) knew we just had a wholesale priced Group Buy on Mountain House that ended yesterday?

A 1000rds. is great to have on hand, but it's not like anyone bugging out of NOLA was carrying cases of ammo... Aside from food, don't waste SHTF money and plans on anything you can't carry. Especially if you live in a city. I've got a buddy with an Armory in his basement, 9 metric assloads of canned goods and water to rehydrate Ethiopia, but by the time his family is in the car there isn't room for much else.

Dave
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:26:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Nah. Already well stocked. Just reinforces my belief that I did the proper thing.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:41:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:53:33 AM EDT
[#42]
It didnt alter any plans I had,just sped them up.I was going to wait awhile before buying a genny,but went ahead and picked one up.Now I definitly need to build some kind of outbuilding to store gas and the genny,will be going this week to buy the permit.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:27:13 AM EDT
[#43]
I stocked up with a new box of cigars, ammo and some gas for my truck.  I will also be adding some Scotch  and a new tooth brush this week to my SHTF kit.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:43:04 AM EDT
[#44]
It makes me want to get an ATV and a months worth of canned goods, & a larger safe water supply. I have more guns & ammo than I do arms to operate them.

I do need more camping gear, & tac gear. Always & forever!

I just would like to be able to bug out & not have to hope someone will help me by holding my hand, & offering me a place on the goverment tit.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:44:03 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I stocked up with a new box of----- CIGARS-----, ammo and some gas for my truck.  I will also be adding some Scotch  and a new tooth brush this week to my SHTF kit.

Well done!  Most folks forget the cigars.

Balming
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:44:51 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I stocked up with a new box of cigars, ammo and some gas for my truck.  I will also be adding some Scotch  and a new tooth brush this week to my SHTF kit.

Damn,I am getting low on Cutty Sark at well
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Get some sandbags, too!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:24:06 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Does what you see in N.O. make you want to get more firearms and stockpile stuff?  

No.  It makes we want to NOT live in a corrupt, below sea level city in a hurricane zone heavily populated with inherently violent people.  

+1000 (unfortunatly I do and that just makes me sad)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top