Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2005 11:13:01 AM EDT
I heard about these things on the radio.

Does anyone have any experience with either or both of them?  How are they?

Also, the radio program said you could get a free trial bottle of triple greens but I didn't catch the phone number, anybody have the number?  The websites I found say nothing about the free trial.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:16:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I tried the fish oil casules for a while but stopped because whenever you burp afterwards it tasted like you were sucking on a fish that was sitting in the sun for a few hours
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:24:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I use them. The good stuff went up 30 points, the bad went down 20 points. Total stayed the same.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:52:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Talk to Kacer, and/or look up her older posts, she's an advocate for Omega 3 (and similar) supplements, mainly flax oil.

I do take a flax oil supplement daily with my regular viatmin.  With the flax, you DO NOT get the nasty fishy burps.

Jim

Some of the previous posts:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=113&t=361976

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=71&t=335504
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:55:15 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife's obstetrician told her NOT to take Omega-3 Fish Oil due to heavy metals.  She said to stick with flax seed oil.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:21:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Flax seed oil. Or do what  we do; buy
flax seed and grind it in your coffee mill.
Put in on cereal and in most dishes you cook.
Adds virtually no flavor. I just made lentil soup and
put it in that...Great over yogurt, mixed into energy
drinks, etc.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:23:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy Alaskan salmon.  Same stuff, and it's tastier than a pill.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:28:50 PM EDT
[#7]
www.coromega.com

fish oil

no heavy metals

no fish taste at all .... tastes like orange push ups

you can get a free sample packet from their website to taste it

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:36:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Triple greens are awesome.  I like to drink my "swamp water" in front of co-workers just for the reaction.  

Seriously, the greens has a spiral algae stuff that gives you plenty of energy, but without caffeine.

-White Horse
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:38:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
www.coromega.com

fish oil

no heavy metals

No people have died using that crap.  You should just buy the fish.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.coromega.com

fish oil

no heavy metals

No people have died using that crap.  You should just buy the fish.

The only reason I take a supplement is because I can't stand the taste of seafood at all.

Anything even slightly fishy turns my stomach.

About the best I can do is battered and deep fried walleye and then only if I've had a bunch of beer in me to deaden the taste.

The smell of cooked shrimp is enough to set it off.

It sucks and I've tried lots of times to force myself to aquire a taste for fish.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:34:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I heard about these things on the radio.

Does anyone have any experience with either or both of them?  How are they?

Also, the radio program said you could get a free trial bottle of triple greens but I didn't catch the phone number, anybody have the number?  The websites I found say nothing about the free trial.

I greatly prefer flax oil. No fishy aftertaste, plus it is still loaded with good Omega 3s.

Studies have shown that getting good ammounts of O3s helps lower cholesterol and promote cardiovascular health. I take a couple of flax oil pills every day with my vitamins and other supplements.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Flax seed oil. Or do what  we do; buy
flax seed and grind it in your coffee mill.
Put in on cereal and in most dishes you cook.
Adds virtually no flavor. I just made lentil soup and
put it in that...Great over yogurt, mixed into energy
drinks, etc.

A capital suggestion.

Works great if you make breads, salads....The more flax seed you can get, the better.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Flax seed oil. Or do what  we do; buy flax seed and grind it in your coffee mill. Put in on cereal and in most dishes you cook. Adds virtually no flavor. I just made lentil soup and
put it in that...Great over yogurt, mixed into energy drinks, etc.

MOST of the benefits of flax is the omega 3's - these are destroyed by:

Heat, light, oxygen. So though I won't say DON'T bake w/it, you ARE loosing some of the benefits OF it by doing so.

As for the "Triple Greens" I prefer to just try to eat right - then I add a few of the things that are apparently IN the "formula"

Each delicious scoop contains 40+ super greens (such as Spirulina, Chlorella and Barley Grass), Green tea extract, Spinach, Kale, Blueberry, Carrot, Spinach powder, Plum, Grape, Kelp, Probiotics, healthy fiber, bioflavonoids, digestive enzymes, lecithin and much more! Simply mix a scoop with 6 oz. water and shake with the cup and lid provided. You will love the "fresh of the vine," blueberry flavor! Ingredients: Supplement Facts Serving Size: 9.4 Grams Servings per Container: 30 Amount Per Serving %Daily Value** Calories 45 Calories from fat 5 Total Fat 0.5g 1 Saturated Fat 0g 0 Cholesterol 0g 0 Total Carbohydrate 8g 3 Dietary Fiber 3g 12 Sugar <1g * Protein 1.3g 3 Sodium 50mg 2 Vitamin A(as Retinol) 34.2IU 1 Beta Carotene 432IU 9 Vitamin C 101mg 168 Vitamin E 0.58in 2 Iron 1.82mg 10 Barley Grass Powder 500mg * Wheat Grass Powder 500mg * Chlorella(Cracked Cell) 100mg * Spirulina(Hawaiian) Powder 1000mg * Broccoli Powder 300mg * Cauliflower Powder 300mg * Kale Powder 300mg * Spinach Powder 500mg * Vegetable Proprietary Blend Parsley Powder, Celery Powder, Carrot Powder 1500mg * Green Tea Extract(decaffeinated) 500mg * Blueberry Powder 350mg * Grape Seed Extract 200mg * Raspberry Powder 50mg * Acerola 500mg * Fruit Proprietary Blend Papaya Powder, Pineapple Powder, Bilberry Extract Powder, Strawberry Powder 1125mg * Soya Lecithin(non GMO) 300mg * Oat Beta Glucan 1500mg * Apple Fiber Pectin 100mg * Brown Rice Bran 50mg * Bromelain 25mg * Papain 25mg * Protease 25mg * Amylase 25mg * Lipase 25mg * Lactase 25mg * Cellulase 25mg * Non Dairy ProBiotic Cultures Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifido Bacterium Longum, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus(13 Billion Total) 100mg * Sprouted Barley Malt 250mg * Quercetin 75mg * Red Grape Skin Extract 75mg * Milk Thistle Seed Extract yielding(80% Silymarin) 80mg 100mg * Alfalfa Powder 200mg * Aloe Leaf Powder 50mg * Turmeric Root Extract 10mg * Kelp 15mg * Licorice Root Extract 50mg * Stevia Leaf Extract 25mg * *Daily Value not established **Percentage daily values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Purity's Triple Greens Formula (As Heard on the Radio) by Purity Products - 342 Grams

The stuff in RED I tend to get (enough) just by EATING WELL. The stuff in blue I have suppliments and just take PRN.

Don't you eat cabbage, broccoli, celery, carrots, spinach etc??? Not "daily" but weekly? I do, I DIDN'T but I do NOW. (After MS ravaged me) now I'm ravaging the MS .

Now folks REALLY vary on the omega 3's -

And frankly, I cannot say that the docs are full of it (though I DO suspect it ) and that the fish oil is NOT "better". I just decided to FIRST try the flax oil, as THEN I wouldn't have to "worry" about the potential mercury issues, plus MOST fish oil I saw had MAYBE 180mg of EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) and 120mg of DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) so for a 1gram softgel I'd get 300mg of omega 3's. Okay. Great? No, okay? Sure, then I checked out the Flax labels... Alpha-Linolenic Acid (Omega-3) 585 mg. So with ONE softgel I ALMOST get what I'd get of the omega 3's w/2 of the fish oil softgels.

Hmmm....

Now, keep in mind, I could NOT work, I was getting my disability insurance and before bills I had $931.70 to live on a month. (Disability insurance was 1/2 of what I cleared on average /mo. BEFORE becoming disabled.)

So COST on something I didn't even THINK would REALLY "work" was certainly a factor (but I was 33 and life was OVER - doubly so if I did nothing).  60 of the Flax softgels and 60 of the fish oil softgels cost the same $$$. $4.99 + tax. IF I waited for the Buy 1 Get 1 Free sale - less - but still the same compared to EACHOTHER.

BUT! I'd have to take twice as many of the fish oil to = the same amount of omega 3's from the flax. So being on a budget.... I went w/the flax. Six months later, I was kinda "shocked" to realize it was 8a.m. and I was actually awake, and walking (rather than crawling) down the hallway. AND I really wasn't fatigued. AND I hadn't had an attack in the 6 months I had been on the flax. Hmmm....

Plus back THEN I really didn't understand that there were significant differences between the various omega 3's. NOW I tend to think that the docs are not correct - OR that they ARE correct, but NOT for the reasons they THINK that they are correct, and that in the LONG RUN the ALA is superior to the DHA and EPA (and the DPA - which almost no one even pays attention to). BUT in the SHORT RUN the EPA and DHA's are better.

They TEND to run trials for 3-12 months - USUALLY 6, from the studies I've read on "suppliments" which IMO, isn't NEARLY long enough at ALL. I've been on the Omega 3';s for well, over 4-1/2 years now - I'm STILL getting "pieces" back. the last wasn't one I'm thrilled with - but it, I guess IS handy - hunger pains. It's more of a PITA, IMO, but.... <sigh> Take the good w/the inconveinient I guess.

The REALLY good thing (IMO) about the whole flax seed, aside from the "fiber" is the lignans. They are a phytochemical that won't allow cancer cells to reproduce. There are several studies that bear this out. Even some (astute and dedicated) physicans (allopaths even!) are telling their patients to USE these (a high-lignan flax oil - pharm-grade softgel). Everything from cancer patients to folks like me w/auto-immune diseases. (But mostly cancer patients).

This will get you the LIGNANs, but you'll miss the easy and tasty fiber.
www.puritan.com/pages/file.asp?xs=1DA3565542FA47CE827915DD3E1C8F7D&PID=858&np=1
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I would be wary of omega-3's derived from fish, especially the cheap capsules at walmart and such. They get alot of it from fish livers and we all know that the liver is the filter for the body, lots of nasty stuff like mercury possible.

+1 on the Flax seeds/Flax seed oil though, great source for O-3's
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:29:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Flax seed oil. Or do what  we do; buy flax seed and grind it in your coffee mill. Put in on cereal and in most dishes you cook. Adds virtually no flavor. I just made lentil soup and
put it in that...Great over yogurt, mixed into energy drinks, etc.

MOST of the benefits of flax is the omega 3's - these are destroyed by:

Heat, light, oxygen. So though I won't say DON'T bake w/it, you ARE loosing some of the benefits OF it by doing so.

As for the "Triple Greens" I prefer to just try to eat right - then I add a few of the things that are apparently IN the "formula"

Each delicious scoop contains 40+ super greens (such as Spirulina, Chlorella and Barley Grass), Green tea extract, Spinach, Kale, Blueberry, Carrot, Spinach powder, Plum, Grape, Kelp, Probiotics, healthy fiber, bioflavonoids, digestive enzymes, lecithin and much more! Simply mix a scoop with 6 oz. water and shake with the cup and lid provided. You will love the "fresh of the vine," blueberry flavor! Ingredients: Supplement Facts Serving Size: 9.4 Grams Servings per Container: 30 Amount Per Serving %Daily Value** Calories 45 Calories from fat 5 Total Fat 0.5g 1 Saturated Fat 0g 0 Cholesterol 0g 0 Total Carbohydrate 8g 3 Dietary Fiber 3g 12 Sugar <1g * Protein 1.3g 3 Sodium 50mg 2 Vitamin A(as Retinol) 34.2IU 1 Beta Carotene 432IU 9 Vitamin C 101mg 168 Vitamin E 0.58in 2 Iron 1.82mg 10 Barley Grass Powder 500mg * Wheat Grass Powder 500mg * Chlorella(Cracked Cell) 100mg * Spirulina(Hawaiian) Powder 1000mg * Broccoli Powder 300mg * Cauliflower Powder 300mg * Kale Powder 300mg * Spinach Powder 500mg * Vegetable Proprietary Blend Parsley Powder, Celery Powder, Carrot Powder 1500mg * Green Tea Extract(decaffeinated) 500mg * Blueberry Powder 350mg * Grape Seed Extract 200mg * Raspberry Powder 50mg * Acerola 500mg * Fruit Proprietary Blend Papaya Powder, Pineapple Powder, Bilberry Extract Powder, Strawberry Powder 1125mg * Soya Lecithin(non GMO) 300mg * Oat Beta Glucan 1500mg * Apple Fiber Pectin 100mg * Brown Rice Bran 50mg * Bromelain 25mg * Papain 25mg * Protease 25mg * Amylase 25mg * Lipase 25mg * Lactase 25mg * Cellulase 25mg * Non Dairy ProBiotic Cultures Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifido Bacterium Longum, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus(13 Billion Total) 100mg * Sprouted Barley Malt 250mg * Quercetin 75mg * Red Grape Skin Extract 75mg * Milk Thistle Seed Extract yielding(80% Silymarin) 80mg 100mg * Alfalfa Powder 200mg * Aloe Leaf Powder 50mg * Turmeric Root Extract 10mg * Kelp 15mg * Licorice Root Extract 50mg * Stevia Leaf Extract 25mg * *Daily Value not established **Percentage daily values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Purity's Triple Greens Formula (As Heard on the Radio) by Purity Products - 342 Grams

The stuff in RED I tend to get (enough) just by EATING WELL. The stuff in blue I have suppliments and just take PRN.

Don't you eat cabbage, broccoli, celery, carrots, spinach etc??? Not "daily" but weekly? I do, I DIDN'T but I do NOW. (After MS ravaged me) now I'm ravaging the MS .

Now folks REALLY vary on the omega 3's -

And frankly, I cannot say that the docs are full of it (though I DO suspect it ) and that the fish oil is NOT "better". I just decided to FIRST try the flax oil, as THEN I wouldn't have to "worry" about the potential mercury issues, plus MOST fish oil I saw had MAYBE 180mg of EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) and 120mg of DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) so for a 1gram softgel I'd get 300mg of omega 3's. Okay. Great? No, okay? Sure, then I checked out the Flax labels... Alpha-Linolenic Acid (Omega-3) 585 mg. So with ONE softgel I ALMOST get what I'd get of the omega 3's w/2 of the fish oil softgels.

Hmmm....

Now, keep in mind, I could NOT work, I was getting my disability insurance and before bills I had $931.70 to live on a month. (Disability insurance was 1/2 of what I cleared on average /mo. BEFORE becoming disabled.)

So COST on something I didn't even THINK would REALLY "work" was certainly a factor (but I was 33 and life was OVER - doubly so if I did nothing).  60 of the Flax softgels and 60 of the fish oil softgels cost the same $$$. $4.99 + tax. IF I waited for the Buy 1 Get 1 Free sale - less - but still the same compared to EACHOTHER.

BUT! I'd have to take twice as many of the fish oil to = the same amount of omega 3's from the flax. So being on a budget.... I went w/the flax. Six months later, I was kinda "shocked" to realize it was 8a.m. and I was actually awake, and walking (rather than crawling) down the hallway. AND I really wasn't fatigued. AND I hadn't had an attack in the 6 months I had been on the flax. Hmmm....

Plus back THEN I really didn't understand that there were significant differences between the various omega 3's. NOW I tend to think that the docs are not correct - OR that they ARE correct, but NOT for the reasons they THINK that they are correct, and that in the LONG RUN the ALA is superior to the DHA and EPA (and the DPA - which almost no one even pays attention to). BUT in the SHORT RUN the EPA and DHA's are better.

They TEND to run trials for 3-12 months - USUALLY 6, from the studies I've read on "suppliments" which IMO, isn't NEARLY long enough at ALL. I've been on the Omega 3';s for well, over 4-1/2 years now - I'm STILL getting "pieces" back. the last wasn't one I'm thrilled with - but it, I guess IS handy - hunger pains. It's more of a PITA, IMO, but.... <sigh> Take the good w/the inconveinient I guess.

The REALLY good thing (IMO) about the whole flax seed, aside from the "fiber" is the lignans. They are a phytochemical that won't allow cancer cells to reproduce. There are several studies that bear this out. Even some (astute and dedicated) physicans (allopaths even!) are telling their patients to USE these (a high-lignan flax oil - pharm-grade softgel). Everything from cancer patients to folks like me w/auto-immune diseases. (But mostly cancer patients).

This will get you the LIGNANs, but you'll miss the easy and tasty fiber.
www.puritan.com/pages/file.asp?xs=1DA3565542FA47CE827915DD3E1C8F7D&PID=858&np=1

Have you tried microlactin? It's supposed to be good for inflamatory things, plus athletic performance and cholesterol. The make some that's for treating horses and other animals. I"ve been taking it a few weeks and my knuckles did not swell up when I sanded and started to paint the house!

I get my omega 3 oils and other stuff from vitacost.com. I think they have the best quaility stuff for the lowest prices. The synergy forumula 3 has all the crap I had been taking. They have quite a variety of multivitamens and stuff. I'm into antioxidants and stuff for joints. I don't get tendonitis as bad as I used to and I'm back to working out again!

The fish oil stuff is supposed to not have impurities in it. Since I've been taking vitamens and stuff I've noticed my complexion is better and I actually have fingernails that are strong enough to play a guitar with! Plus my lipid profile is much better.

Opps, gotta go, I'm at work. I just found out about "jobrelatedstuff.com", this is fun!!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:06:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Have you tried microlactin? It's supposed to be good for inflamatory things, plus athletic performance and cholesterol. The make some that's for treating horses and other animals. I"ve been taking it a few weeks and my knuckles did not swell up when I sanded and started to paint the house!

I get my omega 3 oils and other stuff from vitacost.com. I think they have the best quaility stuff for the lowest prices. The synergy forumula 3 has all the crap I had been taking. They have quite a variety of multivitamens and stuff. I'm into antioxidants and stuff for joints. I don't get tendonitis as bad as I used to and I'm back to working out again!

The fish oil stuff is supposed to not have impurities in it. Since I've been taking vitamens and stuff I've noticed my complexion is better and I actually have fingernails that are strong enough to play a guitar with! Plus my lipid profile is much better.

Opps, gotta go, I'm at work. I just found out about "jobrelatedstuff.com", this is fun!!!

No, I'm really pretty leery of most things until I've analyzed the 1/23 to death (and back) What I prefer for "anti-inflamatory" issues is the flax oil (interferes w/the production of arachidonic acid which is PRO-inflamatory) and has some other mechanisims that inhibit inflamation. Also I prefer using foods as medicine - just like Hippocrates said to do (you know, the "father of modern medicine" - the one the Hippocratic oath is named after? He said, (Paraphrased/translated) "Let your food be your medicine and your medicine be your food." So if I'm having inflamatory issues, I prefer FRESH pineapple (has a substance called bromelain that is one of the BEST known anti-inflamatories - unfortunately - only fresh pineapple will do, as the canning (heat) process destroys the bromelain and it's benefits.

Also the flax/omega 3's helps w/the cholesterol and improves skin - and REALLY will help step up your tollerance to sunlight (if that's an issue). The better fingernails is definitely the omega 3's. )I've seen a huge improvement there myself).

I've HEARD of, but haven't TRIED the  vitacost. I tend to be "sold" on the Puritan's Pride OR Nature's Bounty as I like the WAY they process the flax seeds, the type of seed they use, they just seem to be pharmaceutical grade w/o BEING "approved" of such - so they aren't as expensive - but per Consumer Labs - what they SAY is in their products ARE in their products AND they are bio-available. Some companies that's NOT the case. So, IMO, better to be "safe" and their prices are pretty good. This week K-Mart has a buy 1 get 1 free sale on the Nature's Bounty brand

Can' beat that w/a stick.

Here's the spiel on the microlactin from PP:

This revolutionary new joint product contains MicroLactin™, a patented milk protein concentrate that has been shown in one clinical study to work better than Glucosamine in overall joint parameters.** MicroLactins' unique mechanism of action works with the immune system to promote joint flexibility and comfortable movement.** Active Joints with MicroLactin™ caplets are perfect for occasional wear and tear on joints due to age, activity or daily living. use alone or with your other joint support supplements.

Sounds interesting - but arthritis isn't an issue for me, personally - but some friends/family - thanks! I'll look into it!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I take 4000MG (four capsules) of fish oil a day.

Look for product that is Enteric coated (like the 81MG asprins).  The coating will prevent you from having any fishy aftertaste.

Can't stand the aftertaste of flax seed oil...
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Look for product that is Enteric coated (like the 81MG asprins).  The coating will prevent you from having any fishy aftertaste.

I've been hearing a lot about the Enteric coated stuff. just have some concerns I need to check out b4 actually "endorsing" them is all. Do you know if this prevents the breakdown until the small intestine? Large intestine?? Curious is all.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I've been hearing a lot about the Enteric coated stuff. just have some concerns I need to check out b4 actually "endorsing" them is all. Do you know if this prevents the breakdown until the small intestine? Large intestine?? Curious is all.

Yep, the idea is that the enteric (polymer-ish?) coating withstands attack by the stomach acids , and instead, allows the capsule contents to be broken down and absorbed in the small intestines.

Some proponents of enteric coating go so far as to claim that bypassing the stomach promotes better absorbtion.  I don't know about any of that, but I do know that enteric coated fish oil doesn't give me fishy aftertaste.

My bloodwork certainly seems to indicate that I'm getting benefit from the fish oil.

Hope that helps.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:55:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Having read back through this thread, I'm thinking I might add flax seed oil back into my daily regimine.  Sure hate the taste, though...
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Eat a few cans of sardines a week. Cheaper than high priced pills and they are full of omega 3.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:29:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, the idea is that the enteric (polymer-ish?) coating withstands attack by the stomach acids , and instead, allows the capsule contents to be broken down and absorbed in the small intestines.

Some proponents of enteric coating go so far as to claim that bypassing the stomach promotes better absorbtion.  I don't know about any of that, but I do know that enteric coated fish oil doesn't give me fishy aftertaste.

My bloodwork certainly seems to indicate that I'm getting benefit from the fish oil.

Hope that helps.  

It does, because, IMO - and from what I've read, if it also "bypassed" the SMALL intestine - that'd be a problem. Thanks.

Quoted:
Having read back through this thread, I'm thinking I might add flax seed oil back into my daily regimine.  Sure hate the taste, though...

Quoted:

Well, FWIW, the best KNOWN source of omega 3's is Flax (seed) oil.

AND if you are taking 4 grams of fish oil/day, that means you are getting about 1200mg/omega 3's/day. Now, _I_ think that 1G/day of the omega 3's is probably PLENTY for anyone yo maintainhealth. BUT, apparently, come 2006 the FDA is gonna set the RDA for the omega 3's and last I heard it would be 2G/day (2000mg)... and I'm ONLY saying 1G/day because I was able to mostly recover from MS doing about 1140mg/day of the omega 3's - and all my research indicates that the onset of MS (and, really, many other illnesses that they don't know what "causes" it nor what will "fix" it) is BECAUSE of a critical deficiency of omega 3's which means NONE can be found in the BLOODSTREAM. THAT, IMO is when an "exacerbation" (MS attack) occurs. And for 3 years I progressively improved, and had NO "attacks" in 3 years - THEN that year allergy season was REAL bad - and I experienced my 1st exacerbation (unscheduled (I sorta used myself as a lab rat as I had no lab rats available )) in 3 years. So NOW during "allergy season" I take 4G/flax oil per day which w/the NB brand flax oil means I get 1170mg of omega 3's/day in NON allergy season and 2340mg of the omega 3's during allergy season - or whenever I expect to get "stressed out" or anything ELSE that "uses up" omega 3's. Like VACCINES for instance. So.... FWIW. You are PROBABLY getting "enough" per what I think IF you are "perfectly healthy" otherwise. But you're only getting about 1/2 of what the government is GOING to recommend..... so......

As far as the taste, I get the softgels, so NO TASTE. NB brand is ON SALE (Buy 1 get 1 free) this week at K-Mart... for those w/o K-Marts near them, Rite Aid has a "Buy 1 get 1 50% off" which, while not AS good, is better than NO sale.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#23]
tag
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:50:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Kacer.

Am interested in hearing more about your
knowledge of nutrition.
You sound like you've got a lot of information that would
be worth knowing about.

Maybe you could start a seperate thread about food and health?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:02:12 PM EDT
[#25]
So can you get flax seed oil "loose" like in a bottle? I have problems swallowing pills/capsles. Or as Londo said grind up flax seed and put it on cereal. Where can you get flax seed?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes, it is available in liquid form.

We are using "Barleans" brand.

We also buy flax seed and grind it
into a variety of dishes.

Flaxseed is  one of the "superfoods".

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#27]
So how much Flax seed oil do you take a day?

How much ground Flax Seed do you eat a day?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Kacer.

Am interested in hearing more about your
knowledge of nutrition.
You sound like you've got a lot of information that would
be worth knowing about.

Maybe you could start a seperate thread about food and health?

Thanks.

There's actually an "area" for such things. I just never really "got around to it" is all.

This is one thread there:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=113&t=361976

I kinda started a thread in the Women's area (www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=71&t=335504)`cause I got a really cool IM from someone who had been DXed w/ EITHER MS, ALS or Parkinsons (early stages) and s/he IMed me about the Pink Pistols, and I was haviing an "extreme" day and mentioned my MS - and subsequent recovery from it - s/he asked for details, followed my advice and all of the symptoms "disappeared"... THEN (later s/he STOPPED taking the suppliments I had suggested as a "test" to see if it was REALLY that that was doing the "disappeared" symptoms. They returned. S/he resumed my suggestions

I'm working W/BVR to obtain "official" training for Holistic Nutrition and Naturopathic Health ... There's STILL a lot I do NOT know, but I DO know how to go about finding out now... so that's 98% of the battle, IMO. And if it has to do with lipids, I probably know 50% or better - and a FEW things I don't THINK anyone else has "put together" yet.

I am in process of writing a book (or 12 ) and taking or testing out of a degree or two. I'm happy to point folks in the right direction, and share info about studies I run across that are interesting for one reason or another....

Basically, I SHOULD be dead, or at least in a nursing home by now (I'm 39), I was REAL close back in 2001. That's when I started the omega 3's - via flax oil. Saved my life. So I'm a BIT of a "zealot" when it comes to this stuff . I'm practically "cured" of the MS, and am no longer "bedridden" ... I DO have some bone mass to re-build... I THINK mostly from being bedridden. (I hope) I was mostly that way... I guess for a bit over a year. And not FAR from it the 3 years prior (12 hours min. sleep/day REQ'D). I have to build up my endurance some, and address some minor issues as well as look more seriously into migraqine, I've WAY "cut down" on the NUMER I get AND the severity of the ones I DO get, but prior to age... 31, I had maybe 30 headaches in my LIFE now I do well if I have that few a year. (But in 2001, I averaged 2/day most days.) So... progress. It MAY just be a "patience" thing. Dunno.... The frequency and severity HAVE been progressively diminished...I THINK by 2007 they SHOULD be eliminated. My theory behind them seems sound, and the "evidence" backs it up.... time will, IMO, tell.

But the sheer NUMBER of "successes" I've had w/o a degree... further supports what I believe to be true, and the omega 3's are a BIG one. (And I BELIEVE the omega 9's as well... though I've not had a chance to "study" it out to be certain - YET. - But, intuition says "yes".) And omega 9's are in flax, but NOT in fish (though they aren't "essential" - IOW your body CAN "make" them, but I'm leaning toward thinking that it cannot make ENOUGH to be "healthy"... but it's just supposition at this juncture.

Quoted:
So can you get flax seed oil "loose" like in a bottle? I have problems swallowing pills/capsles. Or as Londo said grind up flax seed and put it on cereal. Where can you get flax seed?

Uhhh... are there "Amish" Communities in NY (State)? I get mine at a local Amish Grocery. 10# coasts $10 there. GOOD price. Then I grind it in the coffee grinder, or I just chew REALLY well. (I do eat as a snack sometimes. - BUT I TRY to avoid iy at NIGHT as this can cause insomnia - omega 3's and sleep - don't mix well.

This is ONE place I found that I think would probably be good. but I'd suggest typing : "Whole flax seed" into Google and "shopping around" - YMMV.

www.localharvest.org/store/item.jsp?id=3391&r=aw

Quoted:
So how much Flax seed oil do you take a day?

How much ground Flax Seed do you eat a day?

Personally, I take 2G/day - except during allergy season - times of high stress or when I "catch" something (hasn't happened in like the last 15 years - so...well, a minor bacterial infection... bacteria an fungus kick my ass, but VIRUSES? I eat `em for lunch (Figuratively - ;)

Then I take 4-8G depending upon how I feel - USUALLY just 4G/day then.

Ground flax, well, as I understand it, 1tblsp = 1G/oil I THINK that's PRE-ground... but it COULD be AFTER grinding - and it "grows" when ground. (most things "shrink" not flax seed.) And again, I'd say at LEAST 2G/day .... (which is STILL 1/2 of the RDA that is to come in 2006 sometime.... Bush signed the order )

Though, frankly, an aged (83 years old) lady I go to church w/ saw improvements in her eyesight and thyroid function w/just 1-1/2 TSP. of the GROUND flax... so....
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:48:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for the info!

No Amish in my area.

We do have a health food store. Maybe I'll give it a looksie next time I'm in town.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:38:08 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info!

No Amish in my area.

We do have a health food store. Maybe I'll give it a looksie next time I'm in town.

What about "Krogers"? Their health food areas USUALLY have whole and ground flax - typically (here anway (Ohio) runs $1.89/lb.

TRY to NOT pay over $2/lb. as flax is just about the CHEAPEST stuff on the planet (Though I was seeing proces as high as $1.89/oz (so like 20X what it SHOULD be - or 35X - depending upon perspective ). Just try to not get ripped off.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:13:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks Kacer.
Facinating information.
There is always more to learn about nutrition and
health.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I tried the fish oil casules for a while but stopped because whenever you burp afterwards it tasted like you were sucking on a fish that was sitting in the sun for a few hours

yep, tastes like smoked salmon, for a second time, when you didn't even get to enjoy it going down the first time.

supposed to be good for you though, I still take 'em.

I lowered my cholesterol 53 points by taking them, eating more fiber, and drinking 1.5 gallons of water a day plus exercise.

don't think I can solely credit the omega 3's, but I'm sure they didn't hurt either
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:50:33 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yep, tastes like smoked salmon, for a second time, when you didn't even get to enjoy it going down the first time.

supposed to be good for you though, I still take 'em.

I lowered my cholesterol 53 points by taking them, eating more fiber, and drinking 1.5 gallons of water a day plus exercise.

don't think I can solely credit the omega 3's, but I'm sure they didn't hurt either

There are a LOT of studies that document the benefits of omega 3's on lowering LDL, raising HDL and REALLY tanking triglycerides. But then there are also several studies that say fiber helps a lot too. Never heard the of the water angle though.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:57:52 AM EDT
[#34]
I get flax oil in a bottle, barlean's highest lignan content flax oil. It needs to stay refridgerated. I used to get the capsules but I think this is better. It's cold pressed, fresh, and all that. I put a little squeeze in my rice or oatmeal, or whereever you would put oil. I only put a little squirt in, it's not an olive oil substitute.

I also grind flax seed in my coffee grinder and store it in the fridge and put a little of that and some wheat germ in my cereal, or whatever.

I lowered my cholesterol almost 100 points by dietary changes and supplements like that. I also use grapeseed oil veganaise and benecol margarine or smart spread. I work in the lab and can do a lot of my own tests which gives me some feedback on what works and what doesn't.

Long story but I had let myself get out of shape awhile back, and I have some residual bicycle wreck injuries that flared up, probably because I quit taking care of myself. I was not very mobile for awhile and was attempting to knock off the wt I gained so I really had to watch my diet. Wierd thing is when I had cut way back on the fats my lipid profile only improved a little. When I added the healthy fats it improved a lot. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't done the tests myself. Just goes to prove that balence is better than lowcarbs/low fat diet fads.

I'm going to do another lipid profile soon, I hadn't done one since I added the grapeseed oil veganaise, plus I tweaked my vitamens.

I'm into the antioxident thing and the omega 3 oils really seem to help as well. The vitamens I take are supposed to have the antioxident crap in them plus I take pycogenol on and off. I've just added the micolactin recently, it's supposed to have a good effect on HDL levels they say. I've been putting some granular lecithin in yogurt also. At one point my cholesterol was pushing 300 and I refuse to take medication when I can make a lifestyle change. There isn't a lot of support from the medical community for this it seems. One of the pathologists heard me talking about coenzyme Q10 and went on and on about how I was poisoning myself with vitamens. Odd reaction considering how much my health had improved over the last 2 years. My regular doctor was amazed at my lipid profile change and said to keep doing whatever it was I was doing.

Still, it's hard to sift through the bullshit, not all herbal/natural/vitamen claims are on the up and up. I don't think it's any worse than some of the claims from the pharaceutical companies though.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:26:10 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Wal-Mart carries a brand of cereal called Uncle Sam Cereal that has flax seed in it. It is low glycemic, high in fiber, and is loaded with flax seeds. I eat it for breakfast quite often:

As to where you get whole flax seeds, there are several healthfood stores online that sell them.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:03:05 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Talk to Kacer, and/or look up her older posts, she's an advocate for Omega 3 (and similar) supplements, mainly flax oil.

I do take a flax oil supplement daily with my regular viatmin.  With the flax, you DO NOT get the nasty fishy burps.

Second the flax seed oil capsules. My good cholesterol went up nearly 10 pts with this stuff. I also use it for achy joints from the remnants of my Lyme Disease...great stuff. I use 12-15 caps a day.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:29:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Gitarmac you said you work in a lab so you can check your own cholesterol. I have a question. I used to use a test kit called Cholestrac. The last time I had a Doc check my Cholesterol I immediately checked it with one of the Cholestrac kits. Docs results were 229 total Cholestrac was 180. Quite a difference.

Does anyone know of a more accurate home cholesterol test kit. I know it gives only a total measurement but thats better than being in the dark till the next time Doc checks it.

Oh one more question. What should the ratio be between  Good and Bad cholesterol? Thanks
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:39:34 PM EDT
[#38]
tag
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:47:33 PM EDT
[#39]
All labs do not have exactly the same normal range, methods vary between instruments. I think I read somewhere you should only use results from the same lab for comparison but it seems it should have still been closer than what you got.

Our normal ranges are this:
LDL <100
HDL >40
Chol <200
Trig 10-160
VLDL 2-32

Some of these like LDL and VLDL are simply calculations. Some labs do an LDL direct which is an actual test for LDL. Then there is the HDL/total percent in which a relative risk is assigned. For a long time my LDL was high, because my hdl was <60 I guess, it's part of the calculation. My last HDL was 76 and my trig 62 which made the LDL only 103.6. I'm hoping the next one will be better, my total chol is still in the 190's. When you take all the values into account I don't have a high heart disease risk. I don't know how that would erase any past dietary or lifestyle indecretions though.

I don't know how much stock to put in one or two lab tests though, people with perfectly normal cholesterols still have heart attacks. Now they are starting to look at CRP's and homocystein levels as more reliable heart risk indicators. Even people on the greatly aclaimed statins have strokes and heart attacks so who knows. Since some products make certain claims I like to test them on myself just to see if it works though.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:05:03 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I get flax oil in a bottle, barlean's highest lignan content flax oil. It needs to stay refridgerated. I used to get the capsules but I think this is better. It's cold pressed, fresh, and all that. I put a little squeeze in my rice or oatmeal, or whereever you would put oil. I only put a little squirt in, it's not an olive oil substitute.

Iy IS better - `cept I want the gelatin which is in the softgels - but NOT in the oil. And, I like "easy". Initially, that was NECESSARY - now, I'm just bein' lazy.

I also grind flax seed in my coffee grinder and store it in the fridge and put a little of that and some wheat germ in my cereal, or whatever.

I lowered my cholesterol almost 100 points by dietary changes and supplements like that. I also use grapeseed oil veganaise and benecol margarine or smart spread. I work in the lab and can do a lot of my own tests which gives me some feedback on what works and what doesn't.

Long story but I had let myself get out of shape awhile back, and I have some residual bicycle wreck injuries that flared up, probably because I quit taking care of myself. I was not very mobile for awhile and was attempting to knock off the wt I gained so I really had to watch my diet. Wierd thing is when I had cut way back on the fats my lipid profile only improved a little. When I added the healthy fats it improved a lot. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't done the tests myself. Just goes to prove that balence is better than lowcarbs/low fat diet fads.

I'm going to do another lipid profile soon, I hadn't done one since I added the grapeseed oil veganaise, plus I tweaked my vitamens.

I'm into the antioxident thing and the omega 3 oils really seem to help as well. The vitamens I take are supposed to have the antioxident crap in them plus I take pycogenol on and off. I've just added the micolactin recently, it's supposed to have a good effect on HDL levels they say. I've been putting some granular lecithin in yogurt also. At one point my cholesterol was pushing 300 and I refuse to take medication when I can make a lifestyle change. There isn't a lot of support from the medical community for this it seems. One of the pathologists heard me talking about coenzyme Q10 and went on and on about how I was poisoning myself with vitamens. Odd reaction considering how much my health had improved over the last 2 years. My regular doctor was amazed at my lipid profile change and said to keep doing whatever it was I was doing.

Yeah, by in large, medical professionals are "brainwashed" by the pharm companies to think "natural = bad, artificial = good & man smart, God not so smart" NOT that vitamins can't be bad. They can. One may reach "toxic levels" of many vitamins, but you can also die from a water overdose, does this mean that you should never drink water?

Also just because you SEEM better, feel better and appear to be better... well, that's just "anecdotal" evidence... doesn't really MEAN anything.

Still, it's hard to sift through the bullshit, not all herbal/natural/vitamen claims are on the up and up. I don't think it's any worse than some of the claims from the pharaceutical companies though.

Yeah, there are shysters in every group/professions. Just gotta sift through it all and make an educated decision. THEN you usually need to TRY it first, THEN if it works - stick w/it, and try to figure out WHY it works. If it doesn't work - stop doing it (but give it at least 6 months, IME) and try something else.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wal-Mart carries a brand of cereal called Uncle Sam Cereal that has flax seed in it. It is low glycemic, high in fiber, and is loaded with flax seeds. I eat it for breakfast quite often:

store1.yimg.com/I/foodlocker_1865_10077722

As to where you get whole flax seeds, there are several healthfood stores online that sell them.

Agreed. Uncle Sam's is good stuff! There are also other flax-based cereals on the market, Though one gets LESS of the omega 3's typically that way (heat light and oxygen destroys omega 3's) and if you don't break the hull, through something like grinding or chewing really REALLY well.... you don't even GET to absorb the omega 3's.

But you still get most of the fiber and lignan content. (though you get MORE if the hull is breached.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top