Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2005 7:39:29 AM EDT
What's the difference? I've been taking Omega 3 (fish oil) for a couple of years and was wondering if Flax seed with it's additional Omega 6 and 9 has more benefits.

Thanks in advance!

Hep
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 2:30:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 5:50:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's what I take

www.coromega.com

They've got a link on the webpage where you can give them your address and get a free sample packet.

I read that omega3 from fish sources is the best way to go, but I hate the taste of fish, so this is the stuff I go with.

Tastes like orange pushup ice cream things.

Link Posted: 6/22/2005 5:54:13 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Here's what I take

www.coromega.com

They've got a link on the webpage where you can give them your address and get a free sample packet.

I read that omega3 from fish sources is the best way to go, but I hate the taste of fish, so this is the stuff I go with.

Hey thanks for the info RB.

Do you have any straight dope on Flax Seed? I know the Omega 3 supplement I take has all the essentials and 2 pills grant a little more than the recommended daily dose. HOWEVER, the Omega 6 and Omega 9 in the Flax Seed has got me reading and wondering if they are as essential as the Omega 3 or if it's just marketing.
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 6:06:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Kacer is the Flax Oil expert.
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 6:46:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here's what I take

www.coromega.com

Hey thanks for the info RB.

Do you have any straight dope on Flax Seed? I know the Omega 3 supplement I take has all the essentials and 2 pills grant a little more than the recommended daily dose. HOWEVER, the Omega 6 and Omega 9 in the Flax Seed has got me reading and wondering if they are as essential as the Omega 3 or if it's just marketing.

To tell you the truth, I don't really remember all of the details. I've got the articles that convinced me saved on my machine at home ... I'll see if I can dig them up later today.

A quick google search produced this thread on a  weightlifting forum has info that jives with the stuff I remember reading and being convinced by a while ago:

www.xtrememass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6329&page=1&pp=15 just read the first post ... too long to quote here.

Link Posted: 6/23/2005 7:53:02 AM EDT
[#6]
It seems that the Omega 3 fish oil HAS both EPA and DHA, while Flax seed has ALA which help the liver create EPA and DHA. So by that I'm thinking the Omega 3 fish oil is the best.

Still......what're Omega 6 and 9?
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 7:08:15 PM EDT
[#7]
anyone?
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 6:19:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I've started taking this

http://www.barleans.com/omo-intro.html

and I like it a lot.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:53:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What's the difference? I've been taking Omega 3 (fish oil) for a couple of years and was wondering if Flax seed with it's additional Omega 6 and 9 has more benefits.

Thanks in advance!

Hep

Sorry so late, I found this topic when Googling. (Thanks BenDover for using my nic )

Current medical theory/research SAYS (allegedly) that fish oil is a better way to go than flax (seed) oil.

They may be right, they might be wrong (not like it hasn't happened before).

I, personally think the BEST thing to do is to do a month using each one, see which is better for YOU.

If you have any liver problems, I'd say go w/the fish oil, as by in large, the body primarially utilizes DHA and EPA, and flax is ALA which the liver needs to "convert" to DHA and EPA. If it's compromised, maybe that won't occur....

ALLEGEDLY men convert ALA to DHA/EPA at about 1% Whereas women convert about 12%. BUT, I've had NUMEROUS guys have good success w/the flax oil, so I just dunno. Also I've noticed a LOT of men AND women w/MS (Multiple Sclerosis) who have "recovered" somewhat, but NOT as much (anecdotally) as I seem to have TEND to use DHA/EPA sources, I exclusively use the ALA. Which makes me WONDER if the ALA isn't used MORE by the body than we THINK it does? (Or, possibly that the additional Omega 9 isn't perhaphs beneficial?)

And flax(seed) oil is the best known source. I have done MUCH better on the Nature's Bounty Brand of flax oil softgels than the others. YMMV, but I doubt it.

I have NOTHING to base this on, or, perhaphs I DO, but can't put it to words. I think that  IF YOU CAN, it is PROBABLY better to go with BOTH, but each person is a little bit different, so what IS best for ME, may NOT be the best choice for YOU. Try a month of the Flax. Use the Nature's Bounty Brand as they take steps to protect it from heat, light and oxygen in the processing, and it's coldpressed. (And they use organic seed, yielding a greater omega 3 content). See if you notice a DECREASE or an INCREASE in benefit. (Or if it seems the same).

Quoted:
It seems that the Omega 3 fish oil HAS both EPA and DHA, while Flax seed has ALA which help the liver create EPA and DHA. So by that I'm thinking the Omega 3 fish oil is the best.

Still......what're Omega 6 and 9?

They (medical professionals/researches) don't seem to be really certain what Omega 9 is. Keep in mind, it wasn't THAT LONG AGO when they didn't even know that omega 3, 6 or 9 EXISTED. (I'm thinking in the 1980's?) I mean they KNOW what it is, but my serches have been pretty thin. the thing is Omega 3's and 6's are ESSENTIAL, IOW, your body cannot "make" them (manipulate them, YES, MAKE them, NO) whereas the body CAN make Omega 9, so while it's NOT "essential" I wonder if we can MAKE "enough" for the body to function optimally? That's an area I'm researching, but haven't hit "paydirt" yet.

Omega 3 is used by the body to make prostaglandin 3 (PG3). Omega 6 is used by the body to make Prostaglandin 1 (PG1). Prostaglandin 2 (PG2) is made from saturated fats. Prostaglandins are utilized by the immune system. In simple terms, the "grunts" (Privates) are made by PG2. PG2 also produces arachidonic acid - which is PRO-Infalmmatory (that's bad). PG1(largely) and PG3 (totally) are ANTI-inflammatory. (That's good) The Lieutanants and Generals of the immune system are made from PG1 & 3. (Tell the grunts what to do, what TO and what NOT TO attack, when it's a good time to "cut down on" the number of grunts, etc..)

Now, also consider: Arachidonic acid metabolites promote breast and prostate cancer cell growth in culture. The PPAR-gamma receptor has been identified in both of these cell types and is believed to mediate the effects of the high levels of linoleic acid (omega 6) in the Western diet on carcinogenesis. Linoleic acid is efficiently converted to arachidonic acid, but eicosapentanoic acid found in fish oil competes and interferes with the metabolism and action of the eicosanoids from arachidonic acid.

BUT so does the ALA (Alpha-lenolenic Acid) and for that matter - same w/the DHA (docosahenoic acid)
(interferes with the metabolism and action of the eicosanoids from arachidonic acid). ALL of the omega 3's ALA, EPA, DHA, DPA [there may be more] have an ANTI-inflammatory action derrived from intereferring w/the arichidonic acid.

See, the receptors for the omega 3's ALSO accept omega 6's - BUT they PREFER "normally" to deal w/ omega 3's. BECAUSE of this, they TEND to be "busy" with the omega 3's and kick the omega 6's to the curb - UNLESS the body directs it to deal w/the omega 6's (because it is needed for some purpose).

So, is that as clear as mud?

Generally, as Americans we TEND to get (more than) "enough" omega 6's. but NOT "enough" omega 3's. Usually somewhere from a 25:1 to 50:1 ratio. Where scientific types tend to suggest a 1:1, 2:1 or 3:1 ratio.

Now, there's a study, that strongly suggests that ingesting omega 9 IS necessary, even THOUGH we "can" make it, we probably cannot make it in signifacant ENOUGH quantities for normal organ health.

Dose-effect of dietary oleic acid: oleic acid is conditionally essential for some organs
Jean-Marie Bourrea, Odile Dumonta and Georges Durandb

a  INSERM U 26, Unité de neuro-pharmaco-nutrition, Hôpital Fernand Widal, 200 rue du Fg St. Denis, 75475 Paris Cedex 10, France
b  INRA-LNSA, 78350, Jouy-en-Josas, France

(Received 16 November 2003; accepted 30 April 2004)

Abstract - The minimum dietary intake of oleic acid that is indispensable to maintain a normal content of this fatty acid in several tissues (heart, muscle, kidney and testis) was determined in the rat. For this purpose, a dose-effect study was conducted using an experimental protocol with 7 groups of rats who received a diet in which the oleic acid level varied from 0 to 6000 mg per 100 g diet, but the other ingredients were identical (in particular the essential fatty acids, linoleic and -linolenic acid). Female rats were fed the diets from two weeks before mating, and their pups were killed aged either 21 or 60 days. When the level of oleic acid in the diet was increased, the main modifications observed in 21-day-old deficient pups were as follows: (i) for 18:1n-9, in the liver, muscle, heart, kidney, and testis, a plateau was reached at about 4 g oleic acid per 100 g diet. Below this level, the higher the dose the greater the response; (ii) for 16:1n-7, the concentration decreased in the liver, muscle, heart, kidney and testis; (iii) the concentration of 18:1n-7 decreased in the kidney, muscle, and testis; (iv) some minor modifications were noted for the other fatty acids. In mother's milk at 14 days of lactation, when dietary oleic acid increased, the levels of 18:1(n-9) also increased; the increase was regular and did not reach a plateau. In 60-day-old rats, the results were generally similar to those in 21-day-old rats, but with some differences, in particular a slight decrease in oleic acid concentration in the liver and kidney at the highest dietary oleic acid level.

BUT too much of a "good thing" is bad, as in rabbits, they found that TOO HIGH of a diet in rabbits led to the conclusion that conversion of dietary oleic acid to cholestanol was a cause of calcium-bile salt gallstones.

But I have been on 2-6 grams of flax oil/day for over 4 years, and my grandmother and mother BOTH had to have their gall-bladder removed in their mid to early 30's, I'll be 40 in June... so since I'm "predisposed" for gallstones, but I've yet to have a problem....

Anyway, I know MUCH more about omega 3's but I DO want to learn more about the omega 9's. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:44:34 AM EDT
[#10]
ground flax seed is a good way to add fiber to your diet however.  Add a scoop to your cereal
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:01:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
ground flax seed is a good way to add fiber to your diet however.  Add a scoop to your cereal

Yup, but the benefits of whole seed don't just stop w/the fiber content. see, the hulls contain a phytochemical called a lignan. These have proven in scientific study to significantly reduce the risk of cancer - and even shrink tumors. (the lignans don't permit cancer cells to reproduce, kinda like interferons interfere w/viral reproduction.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:16:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Wow....better late than never, eh?

What about the mercury content in the fish oil? Something to worry about? It sure does bother me...
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:09:25 PM EDT
[#13]

The best source of omega 3s is alaskan WILD salmon. The alaskan wild salmon is about the only fish that doesn`t contain mercury. I buy the canned wild salmon, huge omega 3 content without the mercury you will find in other fish like tuna.

I have some Max EPA caps from Solgar, they are great, and use Barleans ground flax in protien shakes, cereal, oatmeal.

Walnuts are good for omega 3s too.

Last but not least, Smart Balance "butter" has omega 3, and i think the Smart Balance plus has omega 3 "from the sea" ie. fish oil. I love the stuff, and it is good for you.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:22:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I like the fish oil as a supplement, the one I have found to be the best is Carlson.

www.carlsonlabs.com/product_detail.phtml?prodid=10025836
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I like the fish oil as a supplement, the one I have found to be the best is Carlson.

For me it was a tossup between that  and coromega I linked above.

Both are free of mercury and other crap, and both come from fish.

I just liked the taste of coromega better and have been taking it for a couple of years now.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:34:28 PM EDT
[#16]
If you want an Essential Fatty Acid supplement where you get the balance of Omega 3,6, & 9, check out Udo's Choice Oil.

http://www.udoerasmus.com/products/oil_blend.htm

You can get it from Vitamin Shoppe.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:41:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just liked the taste of coromega better and have been taking it for a couple of years now.

I just sent for a sample.

How many packets do you take per day?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just sent for a sample.

How many packets do you take per day?

I do one a day.

Looks like the carlsons is a better buy for the amount of fish oil / $.

Maybe I'll give it another try and see if I still prefer the taste of coromega enough to warrant the extra cost.

The other handything about the coromega is that the single serving packets are easier to transport.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:31:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Wow....better late than never, eh?

What about the mercury content in the fish oil? Something to worry about? It sure does bother me...

Yeah, if BenDover hadn't used my screename, I'd NEVER have shown up. And if whomever started that thread about Google/screenames hadn't started THAT thread - I doubt I've have ever noticed it.

"Murcury" is yet ANOTHER reason I decided to go w/flaxseed over the "fish oil" route - that and it was less $$$ for more Omega 3's.

Quoted:
If you want an Essential Fatty Acid supplement where you get the balance of Omega 3,6, & 9, check out Udo's Choice Oil.

http://www.udoerasmus.com/products/oil_blend.htm

You can get it from Vitamin Shoppe.

Actually, yes, I liked his too (and I've read most of his texts he knows his stuff). BUT, I'm pretty $$$ conscious, and the Nature's Bounty brand is more "bang" for my buck. And for ME anywasy (and many others) it seems to do the job - so if it ain't broke.... <shrug>
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top