Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2005 9:48:08 AM EDT
I'm 18, and moving out of home very soon. My parents say I should aquire a handgun "just in case" something goes down. I know I cannot carry on my person without a Concealed Carry Weapons Permit, but can I keep it stowed in my vehicle? Are there laws against carrying openly? I have googled this topic with every phrase I can think of, but could not come up with any relevant information or laws. I dont know the exact text of the law, but doesn't it mean that if the weapon is not purchased from an authorized dealer or given as a gift, I cannot be charged for possessing it? I currently live in UT and will be sometimes traveling through rural Nevada, for visits home, to the city for groceries, etc, and would like to have something other than an AR or .22 in my car. Would a CWP be requred if, say, my car died and I wore the pistol while flagging down assistance where shady individuals may have motives to aquire any valubles I possess? Would it be a crime to utilize deadly force if it came down to it? Nobody stops to assist someone with an "Assault rifle" where it would be accessible in such a situation, if they would in the first place. I'm not a puny guy, but im not wanting to deal with multiple perps, drugs or hostile intent in any manner, and would like an edge that in worst case scenario, would save my property or life.

Also, I was considering a fullsize, since I cant carry it right now, Is it much harder to carry a fullsized down the road when I aquire the permit? I also like the idea of 12 or 13 round mags compared to 7 or 8.

Thank you in advance, and I realize that it could be opinions that are posted, so I wont act on anything until I verify the legality and such, thanks again!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:50:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#2]
It has to be a gift to you by your parents you can check here for information on your state.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:25:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It has to be a gift to you by your parents you can check here for information on your state.

No FFL sales of handguns to anyone under 21 per the Feds.
Either a gift or purchased himself from a private party is fine.

Depending on state law.

packing.org

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:40:18 AM EDT
[#4]
1) If it isn't "immediatly accessable" how am I supposed to get it after identifying the threat?h=85%

THE LAW

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

So this basically means A- it has to be in the trunk or in a gun case secured with a lock or trigger lock, B-Ammo in a SEPERATE locked container, or can it be in the mags in the case?

This being the case, Why are many people not charged with violation of this law for transporting accessable weapons not under lock? (Gun racks)

Nevada doesn't care, and even allows open carry by all law abiding individualshe
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#5]
*Chirp chirp*

(Crickets)

How can a thread get buried THAT quick,
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:12:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Someone gave you the place to find most of the legal answers in the first response.

Just to summarize:
http://www.packing.org/state/utah/

How do I apply for a Permit/License?

You must be 21 to apply for a concealed carry permit.

Carrying without a Permit/License

Date updated: Jul 29, 2005 @ 12:52 am

Only a peace officer in the performance of his duty or a person with a valid permit to carry may carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle.

It is lawful to carry a firearm in a vehicle without a permit if: the firearm is unloaded; securely encased (not including a glove box or console box) and is not readily accessible for immediate use.

It is unlawful to carry a loaded firearm on any public street in an incorporated city without a permit. (See Peaceable Journey Section)

Peaceable journey law summary

Date updated: Aug 23, 2005 @ 7:19 pm

76-10-505. Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle or on street.

(1) Unless otherwise authorized by law, a person may not carry a loaded firearm: (a) in or on a vehicle;
(b) on any public street; or
(c) in a posted prohibited area. (2) A violation of this section is a class B misdemeanor.

English translation:  you're hosed, but it's only a "class B misdemeanor" if you're caught.  I was unable to find any information on open carry in Utah.

http://www.packing.org/state/nevada/

How do I apply for a Permit/License?

NRS 202.3657 Application for permit; eligibility; denial or revocation of permit.

1. Any person may apply to the sheriff of the county in which he resides for a permit on a form prescribed by regulation of the department. Application forms for permits must be furnished by the sheriff of each county upon request.
2. Except as otherwise provided in this section, the sheriff shall issue a permit for one or more specific firearms to any person who is qualified to possess a firearm under state and federal law, who submits an application in accordance with the provisions of this section and who:
(a) Is a resident of this state;
(b) Is 21 years of age or older;

Carrying without a Permit/License

The Nevada Revised Statutes do not address open carry. This permits a person to carry a handgun in plain view.

Car/Gun law summary

Nevada State Law is silent on motor vehicle carriage of firearms. Any law-abiding citizen may carry a handgun, loaded or unloaded, in their vehicle.

Some cities like North Las Vegas and Boulder City have "Deadly Weapon" laws, and you may be cited or arrested if you pass through their jurisdictions with a gun in the vehicle.

English translation: you can probably get away with having a loaded handgun in your car while traveling through Nevada even though you are too young to get a CCW permit.  Furthermore, open carry is legal.

As for the rest, well, it depends on you.  How big you are, how you dress, what you're willing to do to conceal a gun.  Personally, I just put a Glock 26 in a pocket holster and drop it into my pants pocket.  I only got noticed once.

Oh, and if you are ever in a situation where shooting someone is justified, the legality of your having the gun in the first place should be about as high on your worry list as whether your purse goes with your dress.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:58:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
English translation: you can probably get away with having a loaded handgun in your car while traveling through Nevada even though you are too young to get a CCW permit.  Furthermore, open carry is legal.

Yeah, but I have trouble thinking I could walk into a gas station or walmart with a .45 on my hip without being gotten after for disrupting the public or somethinghinking.gif

Oh, and if you are ever in a situation where shooting someone is justified, the legality of your having the gun in the first place should be about as high on your worry list as whether your purse goes with your dress.

I understand that, but was concerned about after the fact and the prosecution in court throwing things out like "He was carrying a hangun underage, and therefore must have been looking for a chance to use it." or "The offender is dead, we cannot prove he didnt egg the fight on" or some crap. especially if there were no witnesses, as would likely happen, on rural roads.

Thank you all, packing.com has a lot of good info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top