Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2005 11:47:12 AM EDT
Finally got around to buying a sharpening kit (kit made by Smith's, found at walmart for about $20).  5 minutes after walking in the door, my pocket knife now has an edge again!  I'll admit I'm not very good at free-handing it on an arkansas stone, which is why I hated sharpening my knives -- it took forever and I just never seemed to get the edge I wanted.

ETA:  I know there are better kits out there, but hey, this one works!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Ah, the look of pleasant surprise on your friend's faces when you're at a fancy steakhouse and you pull out the old axis locked 154cm...
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:51:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a regular spear point on a 3" CRKT folding knife.  Is there an automatic or very easy sharpener for a blade like this?

The steel is AU8 I think
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I have about 4 different Smith's kits. My favorite for finishing is the one with the ceramic rods that make an "X" or "V" when in the base. Those things get my knives razor sharp. But I usually start with the medium/fine grit diamond file first. It usually takes lots of practice and trying different systems before one finds what works best for them. And that's different for everyone it seems...

P.S. After reading many FAQ's and texts on the subject of sharpening, it seems that the SIMPLE fact is that no matter what you use, you MUST keep the angle the same to get that factory edge.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:49:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have about 4 different Smith's kits. My favorite for finishing is the one with the ceramic rods that make an "X" or "V" when in the base. Those things get my knives razor sharp. But I usually start with the medium/fine grit diamond file first. It usually takes lots of practice and trying different systems before one finds what works best for them. And that's different for everyone it seems...

P.S. After reading many FAQ's and texts on the subject of sharpening, it seems that the SIMPLE fact is that no matter what you use, you MUST keep the angle the same to get that factory edge.

i have a "V" ceramic set that is about 15 years old that work great.
it will give you a razor edge  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:52:27 PM EDT
[#6]
It's all in the angle or angles, the stroke, and the leather strop.

I'd rather have my Grand-daddy's Arkansas Stone.  From Schrades to Gerbers to Smith & Wessons it has never failed me, and I always wind up taking knives home from all the guys to sharpen when they know I'm going to break out the stone.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:57:55 PM EDT
[#7]
My favorite is a two-sided folding diamond sharpener called an EZE-FOLD.  EZE-LAP makes it.  The handle folds around the stone when not in use.  The fine side is all you need to keep an ecellent edge on even the toughest steel.  The course side can take down a lot of metal fast.  Just work on keeping a consistent angle as you stroke, always forward.

CLICK HERE FOR EZE-LAP

{ETA} I also have a fancy clamp-and-stand guide-rod sharpener with four stones.  I generally don't take it out unless someone hands me a neglected knife.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top