Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2005 8:37:34 AM EDT
Anyone have any recommendations?  I am going to be using it as supplemental heat for my modular home.  I plan on putting it in a rec room in the basement, and perhaps tie in the blower to the existing heating ductwork.

I was looking at the Vogelzang wood stove, it is on sale for $449 but it makes me nervous that it is an EPA exempt stove.  It gets 104,000 BTU.

Good deal?  Or is it not really suitable for a home?  If  anyone has any other suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:47:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Alot of folks around Northern N.E. seem to love Vermont Castings wood burning stoves  I don't know much about them, but I hear they are some of the finest.  

--VT
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:24:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Vermont Castings Madison (Non-catalyst) and I love it.  Only satisfies two of the requirements though.  It ain't cheap!

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:27:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Anyone have any recommendations?  I am going to be using it as supplemental heat for my modular home.  I plan on putting it in a rec room in the basement, and perhaps tie in the blower to the existing heating ductwork.

I was looking at the Vogelzang wood stove, it is on sale for $449 but it makes me nervous that it is an EPA exempt stove.  It gets 104,000 BTU.

Good deal?  Or is it not really suitable for a home?  If  anyone has any other suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.

I think the "EPA exempt" means it's clean enough to be used where there are bans on wood burning but I'm not certain.

Great link!  I'm thinking about getting one now.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:00:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I spoke to a dealer.  He said that if you want to heat the upstairs, don't put it in the basement, there is no way to attach a wood stove to ductwork unless you buy the wood furnace.

I'm now torn between getting a cheaper one for now, like the one I posted, or something like a Buck stove from the local dealer.  He has three floor models for $1000 which I think is a decent deal.  I have to figure out how I'm going to mod the house to make it work though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:05:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I spoke to a dealer.  He said that if you want to heat the upstairs, don't put it in the basement, there is no way to attach a wood stove to ductwork unless you buy the wood furnace.

I'm now torn between getting a cheaper one for now, like the one I posted, or something like a Buck stove from the local dealer.  He has three floor models for $1000 which I think is a decent deal.  I have to figure out how I'm going to mod the house to make it work though.

SHEISLEGEND grew up in Montana and the stovepipe went up through the floor to the upstairs ultimately through the ceiling then roof.
It heated the upstairs pretty well apparently (eta: the heat off the pipe).
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:09:35 PM EDT
[#6]
check the local wood prices... up here in maine firewoods going for more then pulp in alot of places..
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:17:58 PM EDT
[#7]
My parents replaced their fireplace with gas logs, and they have a bunch of wood already cut, plus I can selective-cut what I need from their 13 acres.  I should be OK for supplemental heating, at least to keep the bills down, which is my goal, plus I have backup if I should go without gas/electric for any period of time.

I am just torn between getting a smaller, name brand stove versus one of the bargain stoves as seen on the Northern Tool site.  If anyone has had any good experiences with any of the lesser-known, less-expensive stoves, please post!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:29:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Just remember.............DON'T CUT CORNERS WITH THIS!!!!   Pay the long dollar for top notch equipment.   You only pay for quality once.  Your family is in the house, your possessions, etc.  

I know you know this, but just wanted to keep you going the right way.  Good luck.  

vmax84

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:35:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't worry... I won't put this in my living room...

Although if you got the double stack version you could make a killer outdoor smoker...

I know there are probably low-cost, dangerous stoves, and premium stoves where you pay more for not a lot more performance.  I am looking for something in the middle, a true value, rather than cheap.  I don't really have the money for a several-thousand dollar installation but I know that if I don't do anything, I could spend almost $1000 in gas costs this winter that I could avoid with a stove.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top