User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/30/2005 3:27:35 AM EDT
news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=2014492005

Florida tourists warned that locals could shoot them

ALASTAIR JAMIESON

IT IS Britain's most popular transatlantic holiday destination, attracting more than 1.5 million visitors a year with its sun-drenched beaches, theme parks and wildlife.

But Florida's £30 billion tourism industry is under threat from a campaign launched by a gun-control group which warns visitors they could be killed.

A series of alarming adverts, to be placed in British newspapers, warns potential tourists about a new law allowing gun owners to shoot anyone they believe threatens their safety.

It means thousands of British families who travel to the Sunshine State are now caught up in the ongoing political row over gun control in the United States.

The Florida law, supported by the National Rifle Association, was approved by the state legislature in April.

The state's governor, Jeb Bush - whose brother is the US president - described it as a "good, commonsense, anti-crime issue".

Critics call it the "shoot first" law and say it allows gun owners to shoot if they engage in a simple argument in public. Supporters call it the "stand your ground" law and say criminals will think twice before attacking someone.

Previously, gun owners could only use their weapons if they first attempted to withdraw and avoid a confrontation, and were permitted to shoot threatening individuals only inside their home or property.

Now they can use "deadly force" if they "reasonably believe" that firing their gun is necessary to prevent a crime or serious injury. The law also effectively prevents civil legal action by victims of such shootings.

The Brady Campaign to Control Gun Violence, based in Washington DC, has pledged to "educate" tourists by placing adverts in US cities, and in key overseas markets such as Britain.

"Warning: Florida residents can use deadly force," says one of the adverts. Another reads: "Thinking about a Florida vacation? Please ensure your family is safe. In Florida, avoid disputes. Use special caution in arguing with motorists on Florida roads."

The Brady Campaign - named after Jim Brady, the spokesman for Ronald Reagan who was paralysed by a gunshot during the 1981 assassination attempt on the then-president - promises to also run adverts in French, German and Japanese newspapers. The campaign officers also plan to hand out leaflets on roads leading into the state.

Peter Hamm, the communications director of the Brady Campaign, said: "It's a particular risk faced by travellers coming to Florida for a vacation because they have no idea it's going to be the law of the land. If they get into a road rage argument, the other person may feel he has the right to use deadly force."

Tourism officials in Florida are furious at the move. Bud Nocera, the executive director of Visit Florida, said: "It is sad that such an organisation would hold the 900,000 men and women who work in the Florida tourism industry, and whose lives depend on it, hostage to their political agenda."

The Association of British Travel Agents yesterday said the posters were "a matter of concern", but said there was unlikely to be a drop in the number of visitors to Florida.

It said 1.4 million Britons made the journey last year, attracted by the weather and resorts such as Disneyworld and the Kennedy Space Centre.

A spokeswoman said: "We would offer the same advice about Florida as we would any other part of the United States. As far as we are concerned, nothing has changed."

More than 80 million tourists from around the world visited Florida last year, boosting an industry that accounts for one-fifth of the state economy.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:31:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:31:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Peter Hamm, the communications director of the Brady Campaign, said: "It's a particular risk faced by travellers coming to Florida for a vacation because they have no idea it's going to be the law of the land. If they get into a road rage argument, the other person may feel he has the right to use deadly force."

Well doens't that already show that the law is working?  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:33:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm sure the market will speak on this issue, and Britons will go to Florida in equal if not greater numbers than they have before.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:36:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Those fucking sons of bitches will do anything to slander law-abiding gun owners, won't they.

They've gone years without any of their dire predictions of blood in the streets (which I'm quite certain they would dance in gleefully), so now they have to make it up and try to hurt tourism.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:39:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Tomorrow is the magic day. I need to get my waders out of the attic since the streets are going to be flowing with blood and all.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:43:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:50:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:52:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm wondering if this indicates a real shift in their strategy due to LOSING the argument every other way they've tried.

Before, they'd simply be calling us murderers and such, and encouraging other Americans to think that way. Now they have to advertise in blatantly anti-gun countries? Looks like they're really getting desperate.

I don't think it will work, either.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:00:16 AM EDT
[#9]
in this case it is not really a gun issue - it is a self-defense issue

and the brady bullshit is anti-self-defense - much like UK laws
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:00:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Tomorrow is the magic day. I need to get my waders out of the attic since the streets are going to be flowing with blood and all.

I hope its not as bad as when the assault weapons ban was lifted.  All those guns on the street, it was hard to drive, and I had two flat tires from rifle sites that day.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:04:00 AM EDT
[#11]
You know how The Brady Campaign to Control Gun Violence has been trying to bankrupt the gun industry with all of the lawsuits.  I wonder how long they would last against a few hundred lawsuits of our own.  We should use their own tactics against them.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:07:04 AM EDT
[#12]
isn't there some kind of fed reg about "interfering with trade and commerce"?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:10:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Thank god......  I hate going on vacation to Florida and seeing people with bad teeth.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:24:47 AM EDT
[#14]
It won't hurt the US or FL. Have you seen the lines at the tourist destinations over there?!?! If it does hurt FL temporarily, then that means there will be fewer donations to the Brady campaing from FL afterwards. It's a win-win situation. You can even look to Mickey Mouse, he's got two guns!

I'm going to e-mail that pic of "Two Gun Mickey Quick Draw" to the Brady Campaign.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:31:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
isn't there some kind of fed reg about "interfering with trade and commerce"?

Brilliant.  The gov't has used the 'commerce clause' to fuck gun owners for 70 years.  Maybe they can use it against the gun-grabbing morons.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:36:54 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

+1

If the Brady campaign is so worried about it, then that means they won't come to visit FL, right?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:46:02 AM EDT
[#17]

They are just using their feminine wiles.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:00:30 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm scared and I'm not going................to Florida, that is
But I will be going to Arizona

Mark
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:06:39 AM EDT
[#19]

"Thinking about a Florida vacation? Please ensure your family is safe. In Florida, avoid disputes. Use special caution in arguing with motorists on Florida roads."

MY GOD!   THE HUMANITY!

I just can't go on in a world like that!  

I don't think Florida has income tax, either.......
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:06:57 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Just one more reason for me to go to Florida.

For me: Just one more reason to LIVE in Florida!

How can there be blood in the streets when I never had the AK47 bullet hose dropped off on the edge of my driveway after the AWB was lifted? Even the ice cream trucks are not selling them. What gives?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:07:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Bunch o' retards up to their old tricks.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:12:07 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Bunch o' retards up to their old tricks.

No, this is a new low for them.

They are telling people from abroad not to come to Florida because the Floridian people will shoot them. They are blatantly saying that murder is legal in Florida now.

The lying bastards ought to be sued by every travel interest in Florida and indeed by the state of Florida itself for slander.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:18:47 AM EDT
[#23]

Peter Hamm, the communications director of the Brady Campaign, said: "It's a particular risk faced by travellers coming to Florida for a vacation because they have no idea it's going to be the law of the land. If they get into a road rage argument, the other person MAY feel he has the right to use deadly force."

Um.   Yeah.  And you Peter "may" get drunk and kill babies with your own car!!!

CMOS
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:19:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I wish they would change their name… it's gives me a bad reputation!

ANdy[/quote

so, is your name the 3rd most popular in Co. Cavan?  Is it Padraig Pearse's mother's maiden name?  Then you and I are in the same boat.

I'm thinking of suing, btw.  I'm much closer to the problem here in No. VA, since the fuckheads are headquartered right down the road.  .
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:32:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Looks like they set-up a website to specifically address their BS...

http://www.shootfirstlaw.org

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:35:11 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

www.shootfirstlaw.org/images/bcam_ad.jpg

That seems like a pretty good reason to sue the sh*t out of the Brady morons to me.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:35:31 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Oh my! Brady sponsored anti-criminal signs! Just hang that up at your front gate or door and it will work better than a home security sign.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:39:46 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I'm scared and I'm not going................to Florida, that is
But I will be going to Arizona

Mark

we'll save a spot for you at Ben Avery.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:44:36 AM EDT
[#29]
It's blatantly obvious that what they're trying to do is intimidate the FL tourist industry into using their influence and get the law repealed. It ain't gonna happen.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:55:19 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
It's blatantly obvious that what they're trying to do is intimidate the FL tourist industry into using their influence and get the law repealed. It ain't gonna happen.

Hopefully, when I fly back from New Jermany (north of Pennsylvania) next week, they'll be at Tampa airport.

We'll have a nice little discussion as I pin "I'm the NRA" stickers on their lapels.  

Communist cocksuckers.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:04:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Put this ad:

next to this ad:

…and in the eyes of your average limey soak, the effect is pretty much nullified (at least it would for every Brit I’ve ever known).

“Roight!  2 for 1 Jäger-Bombs!  It’s time for a Leo Sayer!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:10:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:12:25 AM EDT
[#33]
"Avoid disputes. Use caution when arguing with motorists."

Armed society is a polite society.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:20:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:24:12 AM EDT
[#35]
An armed society is a polite society...
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:27:28 AM EDT
[#36]
IMO it is a positive ad for the 2nd, as it points out that our Bill of Rights, which the brits don't have, is alive and well, at least in Fla.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:28:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:38:23 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm glad that they started advertising this shit, hopefully it will make all the normally rude tourist think twice about what they say and do around here.

556mm
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:45:19 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
"Avoid disputes. Use caution when arguing with motorists."

Armed society is a polite society.

Proof that they know an armed society is a polite society, they just don't want that.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:51:48 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That seems like a pretty good reason to sue the sh*t out of the Brady morons to me.

That's what I said earlier.  We should make them use up their funds defending themselves from a few lawsuits.  Then they wouldn't have the funds for any of this shit.  Fight fire with fire.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:51:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:03:25 AM EDT
[#42]
I hope that the State of Florida sues the Brady Campaign for Billions of Dollars.

I actually like the new law.  I think that it will result in a reduction of crime.  Tourists should actually be safer in Florida than before as most of the Criminals in Florida are home grown, so to speak.  As you may recall, Florida had a problem several years ago with criminals targeting rental cars and the predominant users of rental cars are tourists.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:43:07 PM EDT
[#44]
LOL!

Can somone photoshop out the Brady info on that pick!   Does it come in a bumper sticker?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#45]
This is SOOO 1989...

They tried this when FL first liberalized handgun permits 16 years ago.  Why do they think they will get a different result now?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#46]

Judge Napolitano OWNED a brady bunch spokesman on FOX earlier

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:48:45 PM EDT
[#47]
I live here, and to make up for it I'm going to go buy something. Gun related, maybe some mags or something...
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:51:52 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Judge Napolitano OWNED a brady bunch spokesman on FOX earlier

Please tell

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:00:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Florida chamber of commerce should file lots and lots of suits.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:01:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Crap, I'm scared to even go into the Florida Hometown Forum.

FLORIDA SHOOT FIRST LAW TO TAKE EFFECT;
BRADY CAMPAIGN PLANS TO EDUCATE TRAVELERS

Washington DC – The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence is beginning a public education effort to educate Florida tourists and potential Florida tourists that effective October 1, they face a greater risk of bodily harm within the state of Florida.

That is the date that the state’s new “Shoot First” law also known as the “Stand Your Ground” law, goes into effect.

Individuals who are unfamiliar with Florida’s roads, traffic regulations and customs, or who speak foreign languages, or look different than Florida residents, may face a higher risk of danger – because they may be more likely to be perceived as threatening by Floridians, and because they are unaware of Florida’s new law that says individual who feel their safety is threatened or their possessions are at risk are legally authorized to use deadly force.

“We think people visiting Florida should be aware of this law, and act accordingly,” said Sarah Brady, Chair of the Brady Campaign. “Visitors should be very careful about getting into an aggressive argument with anyone during their stay.”

The Brady Campaign is placing advertisements to educate these tourists and potential tourists in key U.S. gateway cities feeding tourists to Florida, starting with Chicago, Detroit and Boston, and in selected overseas markets beginning with the United Kingdom beginning Sunday, October 2. Educational materials about the law were shipped to more than 120 leading U.S. and international journalists as well as trade publication editors in the travel industry and editors at consumer travel magazines.

The ad reads “Thinking about a Florida vacation? Please ensure your family is safe. A new law in the Sunshine State authorizes nervous or frightened residents to use deadly force. In Florida, avoid disputes. Use special caution in arguing with motorists on Florida roads. Police and prosecutors are concerned about the potential for unnecessary violence.”

A website offering additional information about the law will go live on Wednesday morning, September 28 at www.shootfirstlaw.org.

On Saturday, trained staff will begin to distribute educational materials on this subject to arriving passengers at Miami International Airport beginning Saturday, October 1. This effort may be extended to additional airports in the coming weeks, including Orlando. The material reads, in part:

“The “Shoot First” law is a new law in Florida that police, prosecuting attorneys and gun violence prevention advocates worry may lead to the reckless use of guns on the streets of Florida cities. Before the law was passed, Floridians could carry concealed guns in public places, but they could only use those guns as a last resort when safe avoidance of injury was otherwise not possible. The new law eliminates the duty to avoid the threat and, instead, allows the gun user to “shoot first” to eliminate the threat.

“It is not difficult to imagine likely situations in which individuals may use lethal force where they did not before. An argument on the highway, or a disagreement in a restaurant or nightclub, or a dispute over belongings in a public place such as a beach could lead to unnecessary use of force.

“The Florida ‘Shoot First’ law was passed over the strong objections of law enforcement officials and prosecutors.

The flyer suggests specific steps visitors should take: Avoid unnecessary arguments with local people; stay in their cars and keep hands in plain sight if involved in a traffic accident or near-miss; and maintain a positive attitude and avoid shouting or threatening gestures if someone appears to be hostile toward them.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top