Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2005 9:55:25 PM EDT
I remember mine, it was the first tiem I had venison. My friends mom gave us a quart bag full of it marinating in something or other. We pan friend it at the camp and damn it was awesome.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:58:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Pie! Pie is always good while camping!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:59:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Fried Walleye Fillets caught 15 minutes ago +Tabasco.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:00:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:01:44 PM EDT
[#4]
A cheap convenience store pack of hot dogs. Ate two right off the stick, dropped another in the dirt and still ate it, all sans buns or condiments. Best fucking meal of my life.

Of course, prior to that I had canoed for over 12 hours without a bite to eat, rowing hard to avoid a storm and setup camp.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Steak cooked over the fire....w/ beans. Washed it down with cold beer...

One of the best meals of my life...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#6]
My grandfather (100% Sicilian) made me a batch of his famous tomato sauce.  I schlepped a glass jar of this stuff to the top of Mt. Whitney (14,496ft).  It was 7-ish pounds, which constituted about 1/5 of the wieght in my pack.  Anyhow, my buddy and I heated it up in my dragonfly and had an amazing dinner.  THEN my buddy broke out his back-country oven and we baked BROWNIES at over 11,000 ft!  The pasta was amazing, the brownies were a bit under-cooked but still tasted amazing.  That was definitely my best back-country meal!

Has anyone else on the forums thru-hiked the John Muir Trail?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:04:33 PM EDT
[#7]
McNasty you've been talking a lot about pie as of late!

Best meal I ever had?  I hiked up to the top of the Eagle Cap Wilderness here in North East Oregon.  IT was a hard hard hike.  I could barely manage to put up my tent before crashing for the night.  I woke up and caught 3 native brook trout in the lake near my camp.  I cooked those puppies up on a fire...YUM!

Patty
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:05:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Best was some sort of stew.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:08:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Fresh-caugh trout fried in butter an corn meal

MMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmm
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:10:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My grandfather (100% Sicilian) made me a batch of his famous tomato sauce.  I schlepped a glass jar of this stuff to the top of Mt. Whitney (14,496ft).  It was 7-ish pounds, which constituted about 1/5 of the wieght in my pack.  Anyhow, my buddy and I heated it up in my dragonfly and had an amazing dinner.  THEN my buddy broke out his back-country oven and we baked BROWNIES at over 11,000 ft!  The pasta was amazing, the brownies were a bit under-cooked but still tasted amazing.  That was definitely my best back-country meal!

Has anyone else on the forums thru-hiked the John Muir Trail?

A+ for effort!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:13:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I was hunting last year, and one of the guys broke out a dutch oven and started making some chili. I'm very particular about the chili I eat. I don't like chunks of vegetables in my chili and I don't like "soupy" chili. It was COLD the entire day, and we'd been walking around the woods in the rain all day long. I ate so much of that chili that I thought I was going to burst. Any other time and I wouldn't have even tried it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:18:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Can of beanie-weanie...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:18:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd have to select from the following:
Rib-eye's with fresh garlic seared on the lid of a dutch oven under the AZ night sky.
Fresh caught salmon in Big Sur.
Trout from a mountain stream tossed right onto the grill for breakfast.
Bison tri-tip slow smoked under a tent of aluminum foil.
An A&W burger after 2 weeks of freeze dried.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:20:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Goat and bean curd! Something I would never eat if I had a choice but we had been hiking for 8 hours straight and it was raining all fucking day.
I was cold and wet and I was setting up the tent while my brother was heating up the food. That was the best friggin meal ever
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:32:53 PM EDT
[#15]
We just camped up by Lead King Basin (CO).  We had pork carnitas (marinated pork butt in Dr. Pepper and O.J., then slow roasted and picked and fried crisp at the camp site) with fresh guacamole made fireside.  We got some corn tortillas from the local Tortillaria before we left for the ride/ hike.  I also had some marinated skirt steak I threw into the coals, cooked to medium- rare and sliced thin.  We has some frozen black bean soup and a bottle of Turley (CA).  This was probably one of the best meals we have had for dinner while camping.

About 2 years ago some friends and I were in the San Rafael Swell in Utah (out by Moab), and we made some killer breakfast sandwiches with:  Cold smoked salmon, a fried egg, bacon, cream cheese, Osetra caviar, tomato, and truffle butter on a campfire toasted bagel.  Quite decadent, gave us lots of fuel for the hike through Goblin Valley and later Dead Horse Ravine.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:33:39 PM EDT
[#16]
The last camping meal was the best I ever had.

Every time I go camping, I forgot what I had the last time.

So I always have to reinvent my current camping meal.

But I generally stick with the basics... burgers, chicken, potatoes, vegetables...sometimetimes I stick'em on a stick and make kabobs!.

And then there's them 'smores..... have you ever had 'smores flombe'?

That's when you throw the last bit of the cheap liquor bottle into the fire and see which way the shrapnel blows.

Sort of like spin the bottle. Whew!

Anyways...I like to cook on the open fire...beef, chicken, pork, venison (I can do seafood,  too).  My mouth is watering.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:37:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Steak cooked over the fire....w/ beans. Washed it down with cold beer...

One of the best meals of my life...

Add chili, sourdough bread and a campfire baked potato

Hmmmm, come to think of it, that was also the night we got plastered and bet a friend he could not run through the woods pouring a 2.5 gal of gas and outrun the flame.      We won.    lol.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:41:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh yeah, here's a doozy..

We were in Maine canoeing the Saco river about 5 years ago.  I had some marinated pork tenderloin and roasted new potatoes cooking over a fire.  Everything was going great when I found a can of peas at the bottom of one of our dry bags.  I (being well inebriated) decided to toss them directly in the fire, sans puncturing a hole or two in the can.  The f#cking peas blew up like a damn grenade, sending the little buggers flying.  I burned the shit out of my ankle and leg, wow that was fun!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:15:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Dutch Oven Fathers Day Quicky Chili  (OK it had beans but the idea was  a one pot meal contest not a chili contest chili).  About 15 minutes before it had finished cooking we added Marie Callendar Corn Bread to the top and finished  them together.  Started dishing it up chili and cornbread together, and it started snowing.  Yes Fathers Day  and it snowed, got about 6" that night.  We were up at 4 Jeffrey Campground  on Bishop Creek in the Sierras.  Being at 8100 feet helped.  So just sat back ate hot chili and cornbread and watched the snowfall.

I think Freeride21 was along on that trip.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:18:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
We just camped up by Lead King Basin (CO).  We had pork carnitas (marinated pork butt in Dr. Pepper and O.J., then slow roasted and picked and fried crisp at the camp site) with fresh guacamole made fireside.  We got some corn tortillas from the local Tortillaria before we left for the ride/ hike.  I also had some marinated skirt steak I threw into the coals, cooked to medium- rare and sliced thin.  We has some frozen black bean soup and a bottle of Turley (CA).  This was probably one of the best meals we have had for dinner while camping.

About 2 years ago some friends and I were in the San Rafael Swell in Utah (out by Moab), and we made some killer breakfast sandwiches with:  Cold smoked salmon, a fried egg, bacon, cream cheese, Osetra caviar, tomato, and truffle butter on a campfire toasted bagel.  Quite decadent, gave us lots of fuel for the hike through Goblin Valley and later Dead Horse Ravine.

Like I said...it ain't camping...it's EXTREME PICNICING....

Live large...wherever you are.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:19:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Thick Cut Bacon and Sunny Side up eggs
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:21:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Pie! Pie is always good while camping!

We got super magnaminious pie here.  Name your pie. We got'em fresh!

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:25:26 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
A cheap convenience store pack of hot dogs. Ate two right off the stick, dropped another in the dirt and still ate it, all sans buns or condiments. Best fucking meal of my life.

Of course, prior to that I had canoed for over 12 hours without a bite to eat, rowing hard to avoid a storm and setup camp.

Hot doggie! uummmmmm.

Nothin' like eating anything after a long day's struggle.

I can dog it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:29:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Bacon cooked on a rusty piece of sheet metal we found in the woods.

That bacon was damn near raw and you could see pieces of rust on it.

Oh... the joys of being 15.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:32:03 PM EDT
[#25]
BBQ chicken.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:32:04 PM EDT
[#26]
When I was a young Lance Corporal home for a week end in Prescott, Arizona; I went camping with two girls that had graduated the year after me.  We served sandwiches.  Several times.

I still recall that trip.  (often)
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:17:52 AM EDT
[#27]
You people eat better food camping than I eat at home!

GL
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:03:45 AM EDT
[#28]
fresh caught striped bass, eggs,  bacon, cowboy coffee and PIE uhmean toast

edited to add:  I almost forgot about that beer-butt chicken we had back at paleface before the feds/state put a fence around it and started charging folks to camp there... nothing like beer-butt chicken, except maybe some PIE
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:26:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Went on a backpacking trip up some little creek in the middle of nowhere.  Caught at least a dozen trout.  Not those stocked mushy trout, but the good ones.

Some flour, oil and a well seasoned cast iron griddle later.... heaven.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:35:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Pizza made in a Dutch oven onetime was pretty good.  

I was also partial to "Silver Turtles" though-ground beef, chopped onions, green peppers, whatever you wanted mashed together in a patty and wrapped up in a couple layers of tinfoil.  Insert in coal bed, flip over halfway through cooking.  Good eats.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top