Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2005 6:18:43 AM EDT
I went for a pre-dawn walk this morning and found a pair of skunks in my path.  They were walking toward me and did not display any fear or intention of altering their course....so I changed mine.

What is the max range of skunk spray anyway?  Also, after they spray... how long before they are able to spray again (any re-load time)?  

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:22:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Paging Old_Painless ... Old_Painless to GD.

It's time for Skunk O' Truth!!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#2]
WARNING!!! skunks display no fear because almost nothing in the animal kingdom is stupid enough to annoy one. I've been told that the effective accurate range is 15+ feet. I can assure you that even a poor hit will ruin your day. Give them all the space they want. THIS is a battle you won't win.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:35:28 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
WARNING!!! skunks display no fear because almost nothing in the animal kingdom is stupid enough to annoy one. I've been told that the effective accurate range is 15+ feet. I can assure you that even a poor hit will ruin your day. Give them all the space they want. THIS is a battle you won't win.

They're like the Aliens with the acid blood. Even if you kill one, the stink still leaks all over you. Phew!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:37:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Beats me. I kicked one across the street a few nights ago. If he sprayed, he missed.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:38:32 AM EDT
[#5]
An African or European skunk?

Laden or unladen?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:39:29 AM EDT
[#6]
87 meters!

Just like the M4 carbean!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:40:27 AM EDT
[#7]
According to mythbusters it's a bitch to get one to spray you.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:43:25 AM EDT
[#8]
brass says 75 yards is too close
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:51:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
An African or European skunk?

Laden or unladen?

Shit, got to it first
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:10:53 AM EDT
[#10]
My cousin shot one with a pellet gun from about 20ft away and he ended up with spray juice on the pellet pistol.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:12:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Always just a little further than you thought possible.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:13:22 AM EDT
[#12]

How far can skunks spray their smelly fluids?
Emma
South Bend, Indiana

Dear Emma:
In our opinion, too far. A skunk can spray its oily foul-smelling substance up to 10 feet with accuracy. And after about 15 feet, the spray may be just a fine mist.
If you find yourself face to face with the striped critter, a dose of its perfume is not inevitable. A skunk usually gives lots of warning before spraying. It may stomp its feet, fluff its fur, growl, hiss, and spit. It may even walk on its front legs with its tail in the air, in a defensive stance.

If that doesn't scare you away, prepare to be sprayed. Although a skunk's musk-secreting glands each hold only about a tablespoon of musk, it can spray up to six times, if necessary. Also, skunk spray is made of sulfur compounds known as thiols, which stink in small quantities, stick to hair and clothes, and linger for a long time.

Lest you think that no one would ever want to meet a skunk, owners of pet skunks find them to be affectionate, funny, and playful creatures. And who knew that they come in a variety of colors?

Some friends were spending the weekend at Sea Ranch and the first night my bud got sprayed in the face/chest when he surprised a skunk in the trash can. That was about 10yr's ago and we still fuck with him about it...!

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:33:39 AM EDT
[#13]
If you put tannerite in the bottom of a trash can, tilt it over at a 45 degree angle, and put a cheeseburger on top of the tannerite, then wait until just the right moment....

I'm guessing an effective range of about 1 kilometer.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If you put tannerite in the bottom of a trash can, tilt it over at a 45 degree angle, and put a cheeseburger on top of the tannerite, then wait until just the right moment....

Jim

As any good fizzist knows, 45 degrees isn't the best angle for distance.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:10:38 PM EDT
[#15]

It may stomp its feet, fluff its fur, growl, hiss, and spit.

Thanks for the info.  I was about 20 feet away when I noticed them.  It was pretty dark out and I could barely make out their outline.  One of them, or perhaps both of them, were hissing at me.  This surprised me as I did not know that they gave any kind of warning.

I hate the little bastards with a passion.  If I could, I'd kill 'em on sight.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jim

As any good fizzist knows, 45 degrees isn't the best angle for distance.  

Well, if you assume a spherical skunk and no drag...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:44:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:01:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I have seen skunks shoot a straight stream of stink, & I have seen the shoot a mist that coverd everting like a cloud.

Their smell can make you vomit it's so strong. It doesn't disapear for many months! As a kid I trapped in the state of WI, & caught & shot quite a few that got to my coon sets. I would shoot them with a .22 & hang them from the trap on the mearest tree. I would collect my trap wien they had rotted off for a fresh boiling.

I skined a few just for fun, & had a few sent in for tanning. Even after the chemical tanning process I could still smell the skunk stink on the hids.

My best guess on distance would be 15 ft or less for a stream, & if the breeze is good, & lot farther for the mist cloud.

As far as reload time I think it;s a day or two "if" they use all their stink juice. I think they try to conserve because they are vaunerable when out.

Just for fun, skunk is one the favorite foods of the great horned owl. Yum yum.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:02:01 PM EDT
[#19]
depends who's throwin' it?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:06:03 PM EDT
[#20]
A skunk's effective distance is probably only good enough for CQB/room distances.  Just make sure you trick it out with an EOTech and tactical sling.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:06:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I have 2 Striped Skunks raised from babies , a male & a female  still fully armed , they haven't sprayed  yet , act just like cats , use litter box etc... play with my dogs.. will add a coupla pics  later
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:11:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
A skunk's effective distance is probably only good enough for CQB/room distances.  Just make sure you trick it out with an EOTech and tactical sling.

TRUE...a skunk without more cowbell is a paperweight.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:40:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Point or area target?  a good rule of thumb-if you can see a skunk, it can get you.  But it does take a lot to get one to spray.  Like the previous poster said-skunks are generally inquisitive little folks, and actually can be very friendly.  I used to live in Flagstaff, and we had a few who came around our house and they loved dog food.  Never had a problem with them, they would come right up to the arcadia door on the porch.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:59:00 PM EDT
[#24]
How far away are you standing?  Add one foot, oops, dayumm.  Sheyit, Maisie git the mater juice out agin.

and for the trajectory question it probably depends on what direction to onboard JATO bottles are pointed when fired.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:23:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Depends  on the wind and where you are standing!!!

The proceedure for dealing with direct or indirect effects of the Biohazzard contamination is to obtain a bottle of "Massengill's Springtime Fresh Douche", or what ever scent you prefer.

I shit you not!! I had a kid get sprayed at a wilderness camp for delinquent youth i worked at, tomato jiuce and tomato paste did not work but the supervisor told me to go to the grocery store in the nearest town and think of something.

I looked at the femine hygiene products and thought, well it gets the stink off of a ........Uhh! never mind!.....So why would it not work for skunk spray?

Sure enough it worked!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:33:11 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I have 2 Striped Skunks raised from babies , a male & a female  still fully armed , they haven't sprayed  yet , act just like cats , use litter box etc... play with my dogs.. will add a coupla pics  later

That's kind of cool actually.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top