Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/27/2005 8:41:59 PM EDT
Alright, after debating whether to post this or not I have decided to get the hive mind's opinions. Through a series of unfortunate events I had to put an ad in the paper to find a roommate for my last few months of college. I took in a grad student from Turkey that I wasn't quite happy with, but seemed good enough for the short while.

He keeps to himself, and I pretty much only see him when he comes out of his room to go to the bathroom or use the kitchen. He's very Americanized even though he's only been here a few years, and I've never really worried about him too much even though his laptop desktop has men with ski masks on it.

Well it turns out the desktop was from a Turkish soccer website. Fair enough. But tonight he got a box from Cabela's. I thought this was a little odd as I couldn't picture him using anything from this store. The box was left near the trash so I got curious and peeked at the receipt. Turns out it was a $70 laser boresight. What the hell?! I'm having a difficult time writing this off because of the device's limited uses. It definately has me a little uneasy since he supposedly is low on funds and still hasn't paid my old roommate back for his share of the deposit.

Am I worried over nothing? What would you do?

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:43:20 PM EDT
[#1]
ask him ETA: you infidel
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:45:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Report to the Secret Service that he openly threatened the President, you'll get a faster Government response that way.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:45:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep terrorist!!!!!
Draw down on him!!!!!!!!
Or you could talk to him and get to know him. He probably has a similar interest as you.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:46:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Take him to a car wash and draw down.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:48:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I seriously doubt the similiar interest. I had left a Cabelas in the living room that the device was ordered from. This guy has little more than a bed, a laptop, tv, and a tea kettle. Maybe the rifle was under the bed??!! Like I said, he's not sociable at all and I've hardly got to talk to him since he moved in. I'm just trying to think what else he'd need a borsight for. Not trying to take part in a witch hunt.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:48:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Snoop  before  you  Poop.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:48:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

...  it was a $70 laser boresight.

... not to worry if he doesn't understand the mechanics behind external ballistics
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:49:02 PM EDT
[#9]
take him shooting.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:49:31 PM EDT
[#10]
If he ever runs at you with a scimitar yelling "Durka durka muhammed jihad!", then he's probably a terrorist.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:49:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yep terrorist!!!!!

Draw down on him!!!!!!!!

Or you could talk to him and get to know him. He probably has a similar interest as you.

Before you talk to him, let someone else know that you plan to talk to him.  That way if he IS a terrorist and does kill you because you've blown his cover, we will.. err.. know it was him that killed you.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:50:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Search his laptop for documents and cookies to see where he has been.  Have a flash drive ready for downloading of offending materials.  Report to FBI.

Keep your firearms locked and hidden...

- BG
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:50:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What would you do?

Ask him to take me shooting the next time he goes?  

Or offer to take him?

Seems you have a common interest.                    
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:51:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I guess this means there are hundreds of terrorists on this board--if having a laser boresighter makes you a terrorist.  Egads!  

If he was a member of this board I wouldn't worry. We aren't even allowed to have firearms at this apartment, but that's another story. Seriously, a non-shooter buying one when he claims to have no funds makes me suspicious.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:51:22 PM EDT
[#15]

A laser boresight...
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:52:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I guess this means there are hundreds of terrorists on this board--if having a laser boresighter makes you a terrorist.  Egads!  

If he was a member of this board I wouldn't worry. We aren't even allowed to have firearms at this apartment, but that's another story. Seriously, a non-shooter buying one when he claims to have no funds makes me suspicious.

but seriously, you said hes not very social so you don't know much about him.

How do you know hes a non shooter?

You said hes americanized...so i'de assume he'd dig guns.

I know if I bought a gun mag and my roommate came up to me accusing me of being a terriost...i'de be pretty miffed. Take him shooting, learn abit more about him.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#17]
After consulting my reliable source for such issues, I'm told "Try again later."

Damn it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:53:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Shitty terrorist if he just threw away his reciet.

Which can be explained, all the good ones are ten toes up in Iraq or A-Stan.

Never mind that.

Is his name Al?  Fuck, thats halfway to Al Queda.  

Bacon tomarrow AM, see if he screams Jihad and puts a well aimed shot through your frying pan.  Everything should come clear after that.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Does he know that you shoot and own firearms?

If he does and never talks to you about it then something is up. When I find out someone has a similar interest I usually talk to them about it.

Could it be a gift to you?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:54:57 PM EDT
[#20]
By "americanized," I meant he digs the bars and preppy clothes. I'm not accusing him of anything, I was just wondering if there was some use for boresights besides sighting in rifles?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:55:03 PM EDT
[#21]
BFD ..... get together with him and go out to the range to check the accuracy of the boresight.  What kind of rifle does he have?

I wouldn't be concerned until he has 3,000 lbs of ammonium nitrate delivered to your apartment.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#22]
A ninja pays half my rent.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:57:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Does he know that you shoot and own firearms?

If he does and never talks to you about it then something is up. When I find out someone has a similar interest I usually talk to them about it.

Could it be a gift to you?

Haha, definately not a gift but good thought. No, he doesn't know I shoot and own firearms.
1) I'm not supposed to have them here
2) I don't show them to just anyone
3) Trust me guys, he is not a sportsman or a recreational shooter
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:58:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I dont know but your avatar is great
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:59:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Ummm....

Ask him what the boresite is for?..
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
After consulting my reliable source for such issues, I'm told "Try again later."

Damn it.

Mine said 'Maybe'
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Moreso how do you know hes not a rec. shooter? I got buds that look like skating punks, computer geeks, football jocks, preps, goths, and they all enjoy shooting.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:59:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Hold on, I'll take out the trash and ask about the box. If I'm not back in 5 min. send help!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Hit him in the back of the head with an axe and see if evil black goo comes out.

JFC, so he bought a laser.  What is his major?  10 to 1 says physicis or another science....
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:01:07 PM EDT
[#30]
tag for later...
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:01:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Ummm....

+1 there

"Trust but verify..."

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:01:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Wow, just awful, you just ruined your birthday gift surprise from him.  

Don't you feel bad now ?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:02:50 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:   Does he know that you shoot and own firearms?

Yea, He just posted on the Turkey Hometown board about this crazy American gun-nut that's scares him shitless.  

Quoted:
...I was just wondering if there was some use for boresights besides sighting in rifles?

If it projects a beam, it's a great way to exercise your dog.  But you can get 'em a lot cheaper at the local gas station.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:04:11 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ummm....

+1 there

"Trust but verify..."

... How about NOYFB?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:04:54 PM EDT
[#35]
NOYFB?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:06:40 PM EDT
[#36]
It's been 5 minutes...should we send in a recon team?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:07:30 PM EDT
[#37]
None Of Your Fucking Business
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:07:39 PM EDT
[#38]
+1 for the Avatar!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:08:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Tag for the drama.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Hold on, I'll take out the trash and ask about the box. If I'm not back in 5 min. send help!!

Sweet.

ETA - It's been 10 min. He must be dead.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:10:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Hit him in the back of the head with an axe and see if evil black goo comes out.

I just pissed myself thanks.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:11:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Kinda hard to send help to your UNKNOWN location.  I guess your up shit creek by now.  Sorry.  Hey does anybody have a bore sight I can borrow?

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:12:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Alright, I can sleep again. Apparently it's a gift for his father back in Istanbul who is a big time boar hunter. I thought Muslims didn't eat pork?! Surprised the hell out of me, but I was right that he wasn't a sportsman himself. Sorry for the false alarm!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:13:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Atleast now you know.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What would you do?

Or offer to take him?

+1
Just ask him.
"Hey man saw you got a package from cabela's. I get their catalog too - whatcha get?"

It's not hard.

If it is any comfort - there have been very few Turkish terrorists.
Certain countries have a knack for producing them - Saudi Arabia, Yemen.
Turkey is a very secular country.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:15:18 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What would you do?

Or offer to take him?

+1
Just ask him.
"Hey man saw you got a package from cabela's. I get their catalog too - whatcha get?"

It's not hard.

If it is any comfort - there have been very few Turkish terrorists.
Certain countries have a knack for producing them - Saudi Arabia, Yemen.
Turkey is a very secular country.

That's pretty much what I did, worked out fine.

eta: sigline updated with good news!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:16:40 PM EDT
[#47]
OMFG!!!! HE'S SENDING A DEADLY LASER BORESIGHT TO TURKEY?????

SOME TERRORIST GUN WILL GET MORE THRUSTS PER SQUEEZE NOW!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:17:24 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm still intersted in the "black goo" theory...can we still try it.  I say the son of a bitch is lieing about the piggies!  Best to hit him just in case.  We wouldn't want any regrets later on.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:17:31 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Alright, I can sleep again. Apparently it's a gift for his father back in Istanbul who is a big time boar hunter. I thought Muslims didn't eat pork?! Surprised the hell out of me, but I was right that he wasn't a sportsman himself. Sorry for the false alarm!

Dude is prolly not really a "muslim-muslim" if he is even muslim at all.
Turkey is a verrrryyyy secular country - wearing traditional dress in public and writing turkish in "script" is illegal.
Remember - Turks have enough guns to arm every 3 people in their country - we should all make friends!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:19:11 PM EDT
[#50]
So it's okay if I show him my AR?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top