Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2005 4:25:43 PM EDT
Just wondering if you can use this stuff on wood? And if so are there any special steps for wood?
What about a Synthetic stock?
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:34:10 PM EDT
[#1]
It's pretty thin for wood, it would take multiple coats or a sealer. Keep in mind too that it has to bake at 300 deg for an hour which could cause problems with the wood. It can be used on any plastic that will withstand 300 degrees and that MEK won't melt or soften.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:26:10 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are going for wood, I would recommend you drop the heat and up the time.  200 degrees for 2 hours, or 250 for 90 minutes.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:47:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Stickman,
You think that will work out OK on the wood? I read your how to and I cant wait to do it but I am trying to figure out the stock issue.
Thanks

Oh yeah, any problem doing it in the kitchen oven or will the fumes be too much?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:11:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:07:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
For wood I would reccomend you go get High Temp Black Wrinkle paint from some local hot rod shop. It is used to put that krinkle finish on manifolds and stuff on engines, it looks very much like synthetic stock once dried.

Sorry David if I confused you.. I want to use Norrels Moly resin in Desert Tan on my whole weapon. And wasnt sure if you could use it on wood and or a synthetic stock.

Not trying to make a wood stock look synthetic..
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:29:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Where can you buy this stuff besides directly from Norrels?

I didnt see on their site where it says you can use it on wood..
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I've used it on several of my weapons---good stuff.I don't see why it wouldn't work on wood.Hell, at the worst if it ends up bad just sand the wood.When I did the plastic furniture on my AR15's I dropped the temp and upped the cure time.To be safe,I'd do the same with wood.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top