Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2005 7:17:12 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:13:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Good Thread, DF.  I'll add my 2c as one who went thru '04s 4 storms and Andrew..."The one formerly known here as The Big One".
1) the average person will, on average, do no better or worse than in normal times. Some will fold up and some will rise to the occasion and perform admirably.
2) True leadership will recognise their own inexperience and defer/delegate. Bad leaders will attempt to micro-manage even more than usual, and probably make things worse.
3) Simple things, especially kindness, will make a world of difference.
4) a sense of humor and patience are two of the most valuable attributes.
5) the thanks you appreciate the most will be from those that went through your emegencies right alongside you.  You won't give a damn what the bootlickers say.
6) "evacuation" sucks. The strength of people's efforts at rebuilding are directly related to whether they are working for/with family (and other people they respect) AND their HOMES. Flood waters made it "necessary" but, move people from one pasture to another for long enough and you will create "sheeple".  I'd bet that thousands would take a bus ride back with primitive and minimum (but real) support and would work their asses off to rebuild the whole area. I've seen it.  All right. I'm off my soapbox for now.  Stay safe          PS. Texas' hospitality after Katrina set a real good example for the rest of these good 'ol United States. Others, too, but hats off to TX

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:24:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:30:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll add my .02 from some people I've been in contact from Houston:

9. If you're planning on leaving, leave early and leave by a secondary road, if possible.  If it's too late, i.e. news reports of traffic jams, stay put, unless you have good information on another route.

Merlin
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:52:53 AM EDT
[#4]
You know, people who DID make preparations, buying and storing adequate drinking water, food, etc, for long term were said to be "hoarding" supplies.  I heard this term tossed around on the news more than a few times.

And we have all been criticized as being alarmist gun nuts for having the means to defend ourselves, families, homes, possessions, and essentials.  "Are you expecting a war?  terrorists?  etc" we have all heard.

9. If you're planning on leaving, leave early and leave by a secondary road, if possible. If it's too late, i.e. news reports of traffic jams, stay put, unless you have good information on another route.

+1 !!!  I just spoke with my sister that lives near Houston.  They sailed right on out by leaving early and back in by taking secondary roads.  People leaving just a few hours later took many, many hours to go just a few miles.  She said many she talked to said they would not evacuate next time.

To those that criticized people of New Orleans or Houston for not evacuating, it is impossible to get everyone out in time.  Many, such as people at hardware/lumber stores, gas stations, food markets, medical, and others are not allowed by their employers to leave early.

When a hurricane is bearing down on your city it is too damn late to buy plywood.

Avoid anyone connected with the government, cops, FEMA, "Homeland Security" (the new Nazis).
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:18:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Even poor people can do things to survive. It doesn't take much to fill empty jugs with drinking water, for example. Little things like that can go a long way to enhancing chances for personal survival and easing the burden on rescue services.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:28:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Liberal response to a distaster:

1: Crap pants

2: Throw contents of pants at those who are trying to help you out of your miserable existence

3: Repeat until media picks up the poop-torch and runs with it

Great thread DF
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top