Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2005 7:05:19 AM EDT
Looking mostly at the 20 gig model.  So I like the idea of just moving my music from home listening, to my truck (I already have a tape player adapter), to work.

Is it also just like a portable 20 gig drive that I can just put a movie or a few file folders on just to transport them from one computer to another?

Is it teh kick ass?  Or is a similar item by another company cheaper with the same or better features?

20 gig model is $250-$300
60 gig modle is $350-$400

School me.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:09:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know how they work on the PC side - my wife doesn't let me monkey with her laptop beyond surfing the web .

I personally think iPods are the coolest. I have a 20gb version, it has a TON of music on it and still 5 gb left for whatever. I guess if I were in the market now and had the $$$ I'd look at the 60gb Photo version but I'm entirely happy with my 20gb regular version.

It's just like an external drive - it shows up in iTunes as well on your desktop so you can throw whatever on there, whenever.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:19:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Was just looking at one the other day...

Where's the cheapest place to get them, without going to ebay?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:19:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought my wife a 60Gig version and ran short on space for all of her music.

I would rather spend a few extra dollars now and get the bigger one that is available intead of finding you ran short on space later.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:23:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I would rather spend a few extra dollars now and get the bigger one that is available intead of finding you ran short on space later.

Yeah, I'm thinking that.  But I really just want to know more about them and the things they can do.  I just saw my first one yesterday up close and thought it was neat.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:24:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Holy smokes!

You must have a music library many times as big as mine... Wow!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:25:16 AM EDT
[#6]
GET THE NANO!!!   just got one it is fukin awsome, 4gig is $250.00 and it holds 1000 songs

I listen to lots of music and it's all i need,

They work well with PC's just do all the software updates.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:29:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I love my iPod.  I only have a twenty gig version, but it is only about 3/4 full.  

The HD capability has saved my bacon a cople of times.  Last time my Dell laptop (POS) crashed I was able to boot and save the MyDocuments folder to the iPod and work off the iPod for a week while I waited on repairs.

Because we keep an electronic copy of our paper files I also needed a system that would allow me to transfer large folders between systems that may not be on the network.  This way I can grab a 5GB client file and transfer it between computers via the iPod.

I also like the iPod player because it has the most accessories of any MP3 player out there.  

SBG  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:31:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Ipods rock. Get one (or two!)
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:50:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:52:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have the 40 gig iPod Photo, and I love it....holds tons of music and pics.

+1 but the 60GB.

I use it in my truck and through my receiver at home.  It's awesome.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:09:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I have the 30GB photo.  I don't think they make it anymore.  But 16GB is holding about 320 CDs and 50 CD singles.  Give or take a dozen albums I borrowed and imported.  There is an iTunes setting that allows you to use your iPod as a portable drive.  The instructions just recoomend you use the eject function before disconnecting it from the PC.
These thing are going to replace car CD changers.  I used the cassette adapter at first, now I use one that plugs into the changer, and charges the iPod.  The track controls work on the in dash stereo, and the iPod controls still work.  www.crutchfield.com will give you detailed instructions on taking apart, and re-installing your dashboard if you buy from them.
I can't compare it to other players since this is my first MP3/4 player.

My gripes are:
Everytime you install iTunes it jacks up other burning software (They can't find the drives) and you have to re-install them

What I like:
You'll never drive away and think "Damn I wish I brought that one CD".  I haven't broken a jewel case since I got it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:25:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Was just looking at one the other day...

Where's the cheapest place to get them, without going to ebay?

froogle is your friend.  play with the query
froogle.google.com/froogle?q=ipod+20+gig&num=100&hl=en&lr=&tab=wf&scoring=pd
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:28:32 AM EDT
[#13]
If you are going to get a flash version (Nano or Mini),
get the 6GB. I have a 4GB and I regret it as I keep
having to shuffle stuff on and off of it.

If they made a 8GB Mini, I'd be all over it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:34:11 AM EDT
[#14]
I have the 4gb mini. It goes everywhere with me. Amazing little gadget.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:46:43 AM EDT
[#15]
nano biotch. who wants a clunky ipod when you can have a little card. 1000 songs on a 4gb is a shitload
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:49:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Buddy said that Ipods used to not allow you to copy MP3's from he Ipod to the computer.

Is that still true?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:52:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

60 Gigs!! my god!! I haven't even used 60 gigs with my computer holding more shit than I could ever use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top