Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2005 5:14:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:21:26 PM EDT
[#1]
its not my auction by the way and it only has 30 mins left!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:39:45 PM EDT
[#2]
any opinions on price of these things?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Wouldn't this still be considered a destructive device?

Who has a 40mm launcher anyway?  I know you can get the 37mm ones but . . .
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I put a bid on it. Hopefully I win. It would be a good show piece.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well, I put a bid on it. Hopefully I win. It would be a good show piece.

Holy shit! $45 shipping!

J/K
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The chalk rounds are just plastic projectiles that shatter upon impact, no explosives in the projectile - no DD.  And there are a number of people who own real, working M203s.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:56:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

several folks have 40mm here, you can do the proper paper worka nd get one if ya wnat ot spend major dough
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:56:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The chalk rounds are just plastic projectiles that shatter upon impact, no explosives in the projectile - no DD.  And there are a number of people who own real, working M203s.  

Yes, but the real M203's are considered DD's and must be registered.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:04:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Yay!! I win! I win!! I will be the owner of a chalk rocket!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:12:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Now you need 5 more and and a bandoleer to keep them in.
I can help you with that.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#11]
No, Destructive Devices, Machine Guns, etc. don't have to be "Registered"--they have to have a TRANSFER TAX paid to posess them.  

Technically, the MG (DD, SBR, SBS, AOW, etc.) is listed in the NATIONAL FIREARMS TRANSFER REGISTRY (actually a tax log).  

Still one of the most screwed up things the Gov.org came up with--for you to get an NFA item, you have to submit paperwork, get fingerprints, a CLEO signoff --just to be sure you are eligiable to pay the tax.

And, they set the $200 tax ($5 for AOW, if only because one Legislator of the time had the balls to stand up for something) at the value (at the time) of a Thompson SMG.  

The idea was that 'gangsters' used them, so if they doubled the price, the gangsters wouldn't get them--so, the average joe now couldn't afford them, however the rum runners (and Irish Whiskey smugglers--you know how your family got their money, don't you Ted Kennedy!!) had plenty of $$ and had no trouble buying the guns.

It is also my understanding that live (Explosive) 40mm shells are individual destructive devices and need to have a $200 transfer tax paid on EACH shell (Damn expensive shooting).

AFARR
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:41:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
No, Destructive Devices, Machine Guns, etc. don't have to be "Registered"--they have to have a TRANSFER TAX paid to posess them.  

Technically, the MG (DD, SBR, SBS, AOW, etc.) is listed in the NATIONAL FIREARMS TRANSFER REGISTRY (actually a tax log).  

Still one of the most screwed up things the Gov.org came up with--for you to get an NFA item, you have to submit paperwork, get fingerprints, a CLEO signoff --just to be sure you are eligiable to pay the tax.

And, they set the $200 tax ($5 for AOW, if only because one Legislator of the time had the balls to stand up for something) at the value (at the time) of a Thompson SMG.  

The idea was that 'gangsters' used them, so if they doubled the price, the gangsters wouldn't get them--so, the average joe now couldn't afford them, however the rum runners (and Irish Whiskey smugglers--you know how your family got their money, don't you Ted Kennedy!!) had plenty of $$ and had no trouble buying the guns.

It is also my understanding that live (Explosive) 40mm shells are individual destructive devices and need to have a $200 transfer tax paid on EACH shell (Damn expensive shooting).

AFARR

Well In CO the STATE considers any ammo over .50 cal to be DD ammo and requires you to have a "Storage permit". Even for chalk rounds... Trust me on this.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:29:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Hmmm.. I am pretty sure that a 40mm tube requires a stamp.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
CH
off to look thru the atf faq
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:54:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, the tube is a DD.

Individual explosive cartridges for it are also separate DDs

Chalk, etc. are not.

AFARR
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Yay!! I win! I win!! I will be the owner of a chalk rocket!

Hate to burst your bubble, but I don't think DDs are legal in MI.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:05:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:05:33 PM EDT
[#17]
In 1960 the NRA got congress to pass a law that lowered the transfer tax on AOWs to five dollars.

Some AOWs also got taken off the registery.

CRC
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:07:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
look here

Nice.

I want the smoke rounds.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:17:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
In 1960 the NRA got congress to pass a law that lowered the transfer tax on AOWs to five dollars.

CRC

So what are all the AOW's out there?  All I can thinkof are the "Pen Guns" and short barrell shotguns.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

CRC

So what are all the AOW's out there?  All I can thinkof are the "Pen Guns" and short barrell shotguns.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:09:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Shotgun with a forward grip (Serbu Super Shorty).

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#22]
suitcase guns, cane guns, smoothbore pistols,

Forget the whole definition
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Shit, I've got a case of 25 chalk rounds I'd love to sell for $13 each!  Any takers?

They can be had for much cheaper than that...........
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:22:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Shit, I've got a case of 25 chalk rounds I'd love to sell for $13 each!  Any takers?

where can you find them cheaper?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

where can you find them cheaper?

I paid $400 for 100 rounds from a subguns.com ad a few months ago.  They are classed "seconds" so there have been a few duds (100 foot flight or less.)  I've had less than 10% of the rounds fail to fire properly though.  That still works out to less than $4.50 each.

www.bigskysurplus.com was the seller.  He is now listing them at $175/25 on his website ($7 each.)  If you buy two cases (200 rounds) the price drops to $4.95 ($990 for 200.)  He doesn't say they are seconds, so these should be first quality.  I saw him at the local fun show a month or two ago, and he still had some seconds for $125/25.  I should have bought more.....
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
suitcase guns, cane guns, smoothbore pistols,

Forget the whole definition

smoothbore pistols, why would that be special?

I want a 37mm now....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top