Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2005 11:03:50 PM EDT
Ok, my 90 Wrangler has 180,000 miles on it.  It runs great but the power (or lack of) really bites the big one. The quote  I got was $2300 for the following, 9:1 compression, cam, new intake and holley truck avenger carb, new clutch  all installed.

Or I can go the following route but I would pull the engine and put the new one in, $2699.
www.golenengineservice.com/specs/html/4_2l_225.html

I use it for general 4 wheeling, rock crawling, sand dunes.  I've got 4:10 gears, lockers front and rear, stock 5 spd tranny.

What think you?  Poll to follow.

Edit to make the link live.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:16:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Between those options, I would go with the crate. Less down time.

A 350 would be better!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:19:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Between those options, I would go with the crate. Less down time.

A 350 would be better!

Yes it would BUT then I would break the axles, break the tranny, need adapters, need a new radiator and the most important part, my 16 year old son will be driving it and he dosen't need all that power.  Besides that, I have a 76 Landcruiser with a 330hp crate engine in it and I don't need another gas guzzler.

<------------
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:19:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Look around, you can rebuild it cheaper than that.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:22:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Look around, you can rebuild it cheaper than that.

I know I could but that's to pull the engine, rebuild using top of the line parts and re-install engine.  Most shops around here will not pull or re-install engine, only rebuild it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:30:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ok, my 90 Wrangler has 180,000 miles on it.  It runs great but the power (or lack of) really bites the big one. The quote  I got was $2300 for the following, 9:1 compression, cam, new intake and holley truck avenger carb, new clutch  all installed.

so with that option you would have the old rings and valves? that is probably where a lot of your power went
eta: who picked the cam, intake and carb? someone with experience with 90 wranglers?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:35:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Rebuild the engine and add fuel injection.  There is a MOPAR kit for the 4.2.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:38:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Go rent a cherry picker and have an engine pulling party at your house.
You buy the steaks and beer. Make sure somebody there knows how to
put it back in. I'm serious.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:55:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

so with that option you would have the old rings and valves? that is probably where a lot of your power went
eta: who picked the cam, intake and carb? someone with experience with 90 wranglers?

No, new moly rings, complete valve job.  I have had jeeps since about 1984.  The intake and carb combo are tried and true.  I have also spoken with the company that sells the crate engine and they recommend the intake carb and have the exact same cam in their engine.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:56:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Mopar kit itself runs $2400
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:57:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I've pulled and replaced quite a few engines myself.  As I get older I get more lazy.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 12:17:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've pulled and replaced quite a few engines myself.  As I get older I get more lazy.

It doesn't sound like the lazy part figures in, you get more parts for less
as long as you trust the guys doing the rebuild.....AND they guarantee it
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 12:21:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Crate motors are fairly inexpensive... go with a new motor.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 12:29:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I'd go for the crated 4.0 Fuel Injected.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 12:39:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Pull the one you have out and get the machine work done then you & your son can put it back together and install it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 12:47:55 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Powewrband is lower for the 4.2.  That is why swapping 4.2 cranks into the 4.0 is so popular.  And the best Jeep engine ever made is the 4.3 GM V6.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 12:54:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 12:55:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Powewrband is lower for the 4.2.  That is why swapping 4.2 cranks into the 4.0 is so popular.  And the best Jeep engine ever made is the 4.3 GM V6.

I have heard tell jeep is going to the V6 platform with a 4.0 version of their current V-6.  Personally, I am a straight six guy.  Easier to work on, IMO.

Dukota:  I see you are at least thinking of buying a new Jeep.  I just picked up one of these and I absolutely LOVE it:

2005 Unlimited Rubicon.  4.0 Straight Six, 6 Speed Tranny and lockers.  Great vehicle so far.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:19:44 AM EDT
[#18]
A quality rebuilt will be as good a new for less $$.  Make sure it's a rebuild or remanufacture, not an "overhaul".  A good rebuild shop will pressure test and bore the block, regrind the crank, replace all the pistons, etc. and restore the engine to NEW specs..  And you should get all of that for the $$ you were quoted.  Ask for a detailed estimate and a walk through of the rebuild process or documentation from the factory reman facility.  Be very careful on camshaft selection.  You don't want to lose any low and midrange power.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:39:25 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have heard tell jeep is going to the V6 platform with a 4.0 version of their current V-6.  Personally, I am a straight six guy.  Easier to work on, IMO.

Dukota:  I see you are at least thinking of buying a new Jeep.  I just picked up one of these and I absolutely LOVE it:

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=39534

2005 Unlimited Rubicon.  4.0 Straight Six, 6 Speed Tranny and lockers.  Great vehicle so far.

One thing to figure into the equation, I bought my 18 year old son an 05 wrangler this year.  He is at the Naval Academy Prep school and will be going to the Naval Academy in Annapolis next year.  He will not be able to have a vehicle for the first two years there so I will have his Jeep at home during that time.  I really don't need to buy a new Jeep.  I just want a reliable off road vehicle that will climb whatever I point it at.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:57:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I would not run any engine that needed 91 Octane fuel now.  Need more power go with more CU inches not compression ratio.  But that's just me.

91 Octane ain't that bad if you get decent milage.  Nor is it necessary.

It's called water injection.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top