Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2005 1:47:26 PM EDT
I bought all of the ingredients for my Mexican cousin's salsa but I lost the damn recipe. It was very simple and included only roma tomatos, cilantro, garlic, and jalapeno peppers. Anyone have a good authentic Mexican style recipe for these ingredients?

Please, no beans, corn, mango, or lime.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:53:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Recipe?  You don't need no stinking recipie.  You have all the ingredients except you might want some red onion.  Just put the stuff together until it tastes good.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:00:30 PM EDT
[#2]

This might help.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=388919

Just take the ingredients you have, add some onion, chop it all up and you've got salsa.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:06:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Salsa?  Seltzer?      
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:13:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:14:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Taffy
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:16:31 PM EDT
[#6]
this is my favorite southwest style;

1 can of corn (or equal frozen corn)
1 can black beans
1 med onion / diced
jalapenos/ habinero or other peppers to taste
pulled and chopped cilantro to taste
squeeze 2-4 limes to taste

I realy like this recipe because you can add spice/ peppers and what not to taste or you can leave it as bland/plain as you want as well

enjoy!

eta/ sorry didnt see the no corn/ beans/ limes my bad
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:17:16 PM EDT
[#7]
You asked, now figure out which of the 416 you like...  

www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook/salsa/

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:21:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Grill the tomatoes and jalapenos until the skin is blackened.

Let cool.

Cut out the core of the tomatoes and throw everything else into a food processor (discard the core).

Use the blunt side of a knife and scrape the skin off the jalapenos. Cut them lengthwise and open them up, remove the core and seeds, and add the flesh to the food processor.

Add half bunch of cilantro and pinch or two of kosher salt (table salt can work..)

Add a couple cloves of peeled, crushed garlic.

Run the food processor until at a consistency you like.

Taste. If you like it hotter, add the jalapeno seeds. If it's too hot, add some citrus juice (like a Tbsp. at a time)

Put in a serving or holding container and pop it into the refrigerator for about an hour.

Serve cool.

ETA: dunno if it's authentic at all, but it's darn good. I will usually add half of a yellow onion (grilled) to the recipe.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:23:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Click here:

Salsa

I had a mango/habanero salsa at a place called Notchomamas(sp?) in Augusta, GA a few years ago.  Best I ever had.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:24:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You asked, now figure out which of the 416 you like...  

www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook/salsa/

Nice find!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:28:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Let cool.

Cut out the core of the tomatoes and throw everything else into a food processor (discard the core).

Use the blunt side of a knife and scrape the skin off the jalapenos. Cut them lengthwise and open them up, remove the core and seeds, and add the flesh to the food processor.

Add half bunch of cilantro and pinch or two of kosher salt (table salt can work..)

Taste. If you like it hotter, add the jalapeno seeds. If it's too hot, add some citrus juice (like a Tbsp. at a time)

Put in a serving or holding container and pop it into the refrigerator for about an hour.

Serve cool.

ETA: dunno if it's authentic at all, but it's darn good. I will usually add half of a yellow onion (grilled) to the recipe.

I can vouch that his salsa is damn tasty.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:39:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let cool.

Serve cool.

served hot is best, more taste.  my husband cries when i make salsa, white boy but not a wimp at all.  it sounds like you ar making pico de gallo, don't look at the details toomuch, just make sure the stem of the jalapenos and the "little brown part" in the tomato is out. <----my wife wrote this for you, she is mexican.  she also says to add a little lime and a little avocado.  She also uses teguila when making salsa.  She like to use my Patron or Cabo
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I just made a batch like this"

Dice one large yeller onion.
Dice 4 nice Habanerjo peppers.
Open 3 cans diced tomaters.
Measure 1 tbls each: oregano, basil, garlic powder.
Combine all in a big pot.
Add a splash of vinegar.

You can puree' it up in a blender, cook it down in the pot, or just use it chunky.

I likes my Salsa chunky, fresh, and crispy!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:46:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

served hot is best, more taste.  my husband cries when i make salsa, white boy but not a wimp at all.  it sounds like you ar making pico de gallo, don't look at the details toomuch, just make sure the stem of the jalapenos and the "little brown part" in the tomato is out. <----my wife wrote this for you, she is mexican.  she also says to add a little lime and a little avocado.  She also uses teguila when making salsa.  She like to use my Patron or Cabo

Actually his is pretty damn hot, and he doesn't make it too chunky.  Pico de Gallo for me has always been tomatoes, onion, cilantro, salt, lime juice, and garlic, end result is chunky.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:59:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

It's similar, but the grilled flavor comes out nicely when done right.

The real recipe is a little different, too, but I tried to modify it to the ingredients he mentioned in the first post.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:00:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Blacken the jalepeno in a pan on the stove.  Cut it in half and scrape out the seeds.  Boil a small pot of water and  throw in the tomatoes, whole.  Cut an onion in half and throw it in there too with the jalepenos.  Boil until the onion and tomato soften.  Drain the water and put in a blender.  Add a little salt and cilantro then blend it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, I have a short attention span so I just started chopping and blending to see what I could some up with. I ended up using 12 diced Roma tomatos, 3 chopped jalapenos, 5 cloves pressed garlic, 1 small onion, some chopped red pepper, and a little salt. I ran it all through the blender and added more ingredients to taste. It ended up pretty tasty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top