Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2001 6:51:51 PM EDT
About my thread "Wet-n-wild. I meant no disrespect to the women on the board or in general.
KenS
(Just proud of my little girl)
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 6:58:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 7:03:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 7:12:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 7:50:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 8:02:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Some of you have missed the point though.  It's not so much that a post is offensive, but that they are judged by the same standard.  If Ken had posted the exact same picture, then made a comment about the color of his dog, rather than it's gender, people would be screaming for his blood.  It's the double standard that should end.  

Miss Magnum was not complaining about anti-woman posts [i]per se[/i].  Just about the way the rules are enforced for one group, but not for another regardless of what that group may be.  It's not a femminist thing, it's a fairness thing.

No one's calling for high-intensity moderation, just fairness.  If the borad has rules, they should be followed.  Not just for a certain group.

Striker made the decision to lock the thread.  That's his job and his call.  An open warning may have sufficed, as it may have in many of the racial threads that went on too long before a mod stepped in.  Still, I could see where it was going just as well as Striker did.  He's not trying to be a "board Nazi", just applying the rules fairly.

Ross
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 8:15:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Your gettin a little trigger happy there striker.
If you guys are gonna lock every thread cuz someone is offended by its content, then pretty soon we can just have AR(be pc)15.com.
I'm not saying that we shouldnt have any standard of ethics, cuz we should, however this is the GD forum and it should be treated accordingly.
remember, I bet I could find something in just about every thread that could offend someone.
so if your aim is to not have threads that might offend certain people, maybe we can have a GD forum and a GDPC forum, if you, for whatever reason think that you might be offended by something, then stay the hell out of the non PC, GD forum.
AAWWWWW crap, I probably offended someone by saying hell, AAWWW I said crap too....
see what I mean.... lighten up people, lifes too short to get worked up over something some anonymous author writes on a internet forum.
rant over, carry on...
51 out..[):)]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#10]
It was the best looking wet and wild bitch I had ever seen.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 8:20:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 8:23:43 PM EDT
[#12]
More than a few times I've defended us to other people who call us [red]www.ar15.whiners.com[/red].

Why do we all have to be such a bunch of crybabies?[>(]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 8:34:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#14]
You people are so damn uptight, you'd swear he was trying to sell stem cells or something. Is it an insult to give a female dog a female name? this is a witch hunt and is blatantly stupid.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 8:36:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Striker you described it as a "boys night out attitude".
What's wrong with that?
If I can't have a good time here what is the point?
I like to bullshit with other people(men and women) without having to worry about the PC patrol on my ass.  
I'm not trying to flame you. I realize your job is not easy. Just saying.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 8:49:37 PM EDT
[#16]
OK, while the pc cops are at it, why not do something about these clearly insensitive icons...
some of those that might be offensive are...
[:D] to those without teeth
[8D] to the blind
[:E] the dumb
[:X] the womenz
[xx(] the formerly living
[):)] our hispanic brethren
[@:D] our african american brethren
and so on and so on......
51 out...
[x]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 8:59:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 9:03:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 9:13:33 PM EDT
[#20]
"Just like a female, lays on her back with her legs in the air"
View Quote

I was not really offended by this but don't you think one of the few ladies who do grace this forum may be? Do you guys really have this much of a lack of respect for woman?
That is the point nothing more....
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 9:39:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, but if he used the color of his dog rather than the gender, Kens would have been burned at the stake and probably booted from the board.  It's not a question of whether this is a male dominated board.  It's a white dominated board as well.  That doesn't mean that minorities should have to "defend themselves".  The difference in the past is that if it was a comment about race it would have been pounced on by the mods.  If it was gender derogetory it was ignored.  

Rather than having a PC board that's sensitive to only a certain group, we probably need a board that's sensitive to all groups without being "PC" in attitude.  Really less moderation in a fair way is what I would prefer.  I really don't envy the mods as they'll be trying to balance everything.  Have patience.  In the end it will all work itself out.

Ross
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 9:44:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I think most of the Mods still have a Boner left over from the Captain Obvious thing, it will probably become flaccid in time.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 9:50:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 9:53:25 PM EDT
[#25]
As Striker mentioned:
One of our female members here who has a lot of respect from other members..(me included) pointed out the inconsistencies here when it came to what type of threads were locked and which ones weren't. A lot that involved derogatory,degrading or other types of remarks about women were not locked. She is right and that will change.
View Quote

He was just trying to do what he thought was right and I agree with it.
I also don't think a woman should have to come in here and defend herself from that type of statement.
Maybe something like "I think woman buy way to many pairs of shoes."
NOT
"Just like a female, lays on her back with her legs in the air"
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 10:02:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#27]
the beer slayer-
Damn, we seem to be saying the same thing again.  Maybe the term I used("sensitvie") wasn't macho enough for you[;)].  Oh well, how about this...
Yeah, but if he used the color of his dog rather than the gender, Kens would have been burned at the stake and probably booted from the board.
View Quote

compared to this...
But even a reasonable discussion of race here is banned or locked based on a MOD thinking it might get bad.
View Quote

again, we're saying the same thing.  

You left off the last portion of my sentence:
Rather than having a PC board that's sensitive to only a certain group, we probably need a board that's sensitive to all groups without being "PC" in attitude.
View Quote
 If you don't like my use of "sensitive" I can change that to something else.  Leaving off the end is a quote out of context that changes the meaining.  You'll note the, "WITHOUT BEING PC IN ATTITUDE" part.  There's no reason the mods can't be sensitvie to people's concerns.  As mods they should be concerned with those issuses.  They should not be enforcing one PC attitude over another though simply to be PC.  A simple follwing of the rules for all is what should be occuring.

Ross
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 10:17:08 PM EDT
[#28]
God forgive me but this is a steaming pile of
bullshit!
MM whines that woman bashing deserves the same status as race bashing.
That is akin to the homos equating their right
to anal intercourse with the blacks civil rights
struggle.
If the mods and MM supporters have their way
we will have to refrain from calling women like
Finestein, Clinton, Boxer, Brady, Lewinsky,
O'Donnell, MMM, Ex-wives, Krack Ho's, and a host
of others NAMES! WTH! Pretend they aren't what they are?
So MM gets to play on both sides of the fence.
Here we make nice. There she gets to "let her hair down" and discuss the merits of anal sex
and other titillating perversions.
Does the term BIPOLAR ring anyones bell?

Link Posted: 7/22/2001 10:19:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 10:31:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Good Lord, If I'd known this was going to progress into what it has, I wouldn't have started another thread and apologized!!
KenS
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 10:31:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 10:33:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 10:39:33 PM EDT
[#33]
The Beer Slayer-

Yes, it is funny.

Yet a the topic that was locked had comments far less offesive thatn this. This is not "even handed" moderation.
View Quote

Yup, and that's the danger.  People are entitled to their opinions, and as long as they aren't trying to hurt others there should be no problem.  

The mods simply have to stop things that cross the line.  KenS certainly wasn't trying to hurt anyone, and it's doubtful anyone else was either.  If someone found it offensive, then they could simply ask people to refrain.  If people cross the line, then the mods should take over.  

I bet MM doesn't expect mods to defend her.  I don't expect mods to defend me.  I prefer to do that myself, and would be insulted if a mod tried to "rescue me."  

Ross
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 10:43:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 10:52:37 PM EDT
[#35]
The Beer Slayer-
Yeah, we are arguing symantics and words do count.  In the end we are saying the same thing.  I'm on several other boards as well.  Sure, AR15.com has "earned" a reputation as the Touchy Feely Board.  The only people that can control that are the ones running it.

If this board changes to where I no longer enjoy it, I'll leave to others.  If I can change it for the better (as we are both doing by this thread) then that's even better.

My point is that we should not be pushing the protection of one group over another.  People should be able to post what they think.  One group should not have to "defend themsleves" when another goup is super protected to the point that the mention of "race" will result in my banishment.  ALL groups should have to "defend themselves" (or not have to) equally.  There's nothing wrong with treating all groups the same.

Ross (edited for spelling, again)
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 11:01:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 6:31:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 7:43:32 AM EDT
[#38]
NOT A FLAME!!!

Ya wanna hear the funny part?
The women didn't seem to mind, just the men were offended, in fact Maewestcoast had a good comeback for me. Things that make you go hmmmmm
KenS
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:30:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:44:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The key is to curb the insulting comments equally, regardless of who is offended. I'm sure there are many hispanics here who can laugh off a good joke or ignore a comment, but the point is if it's insulting, they shouldn't have to.

-- GB
View Quote

GoatBoy,

It probably is not my place to say this, but I will anyway.  As long as what is written is meant to be humorous, people should take it as a joke.   One of my favorite comedians is Dennis Miller, who in one of his rants said: "There are two worlds, the real world and the joke world.  The joke world can get tough, wear a cup."  

When I read the referenced postings, I thought that it was somewhat humorous, but also a rather childish play on words.   But I took it as a joke.  

I wonder when we (as a people) lost our thick skins.  It is coming to a time where no-one will be able to make any jokes, for the fear of insulting someone who does not understand the purpose of humor.  If we continue to go down this path of political correctiveness, where does it end?   Instead of purchasing 'white' bread, will it be called 'blanched flour baked product'?  Instead of ordering my coffee 'black', does this mean I must order it 'without added dairy/non-dairy products and no sucrose'?

Again, just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 8:55:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:01:58 AM EDT
[#42]
I was gonna post a reply but my wife hates me now for what i said so i cancled it. now i have to stand in the corner. [:(]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:25:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:39:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:47:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 9:53:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 10:02:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top