Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2005 4:22:11 PM EDT
Four-Time Felon Charged In Shooting of Reno Police Officer
ASSOCIATED PRESS

RENO, Nev. (AP) -- A four-time felon who allegedly told detectives he shot a Reno police officer because he did not want to go to jail has been charged with attempted murder.

Adolfo Benny Carreras, 23
, Reno, was arrested upon his release Wednesday from the Washoe Medical Center.

He is accused of shooting Officer Al Del Vecchio in the face last month after he was stopped in downtown Reno on suspicion of possession of a stolen vehicle.

Del Vecchio, a 16-year veteran of law enforcement returned fire, hitting Carreras in the head. Another officer also shot him in the arm.

Del Vecchio thanked the community for its support in a letter earlier this week to the Reno Gazette-Journal.

''It is nothing short of a miracle from God that I not only survived the encounter, but that I plan to return to full duty in a few weeks with nothing more showing than a few scars,'' Del Vecchio wrote.

''I might not have survived had it not been for the valiant efforts of the citizens and officers at the scene who cared for me and transported me to the hospital.''

Both men were treated in the emergency room of Washoe Medical Center. Del Vecchio was released last month and continues to recover at home.

The officers fired an estimated 14 shots that struck Carreras multiple times and a vacant van. None of the more than 25 people who witnessed the 5 a.m. shooting Aug. 21 near the corner of Second and Sierra streets was injured.

Carreras was booked Wednesday on a warrant issued Sept. 7 charging him with attempted murder with the use of a deadly weapon, resisting a public officer with a dangerous weapon and grand larceny of a motor vehicle.

Del Vecchio also was involved in a shooting in 1995 as a Sparks police officer. He and another officer shot and killed parolee Donald L. Cameron, who had just killed Sparks Officer Larry Johnson after a robbery.

Carreras has a criminal record in Washoe County dating back to 2000 that includes felony convictions for drugs and possessing stolen vehicles.

I would like to comment the judge, district attorny, and public defender for their excellent work during the first four felony cases...
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:27:29 PM EDT
[#1]
If he didn't want to go to jail he shouldn't have stolen a car.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:41:29 PM EDT
[#2]
4 felonies at 23?!

OT: Are cops trained to shoot their target, or squeeze off as many rounds as possible in the shortest amount of time? It seems like every time i hear about police discharging their weapon, or see them training on TV they just unload as fast as they can and seem relieved when they didnt kill any bystanders....not cop bashing at all, just something ive noticed and been wondering about.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:51:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Four-Time Felon Charged In Shooting of Reno Police Officer
ASSOCIATED PRESS

RENO, Nev. (AP) -- A four-time felon who allegedly told detectives he shot a Reno police officer because he did not want to go to jail has been charged with attempted murder.

Adolfo Benny Carreras, 23
, Reno, was arrested upon his release Wednesday from the Washoe Medical Center.

He is accused of shooting Officer Al Del Vecchio in the face last month after he was stopped in downtown Reno on suspicion of possession of a stolen vehicle.

Del Vecchio, a 16-year veteran of law enforcement returned fire, hitting Carreras in the head. Another officer also shot him in the arm.

Del Vecchio thanked the community for its support in a letter earlier this week to the Reno Gazette-Journal.

''It is nothing short of a miracle from God that I not only survived the encounter, but that I plan to return to full duty in a few weeks with nothing more showing than a few scars,'' Del Vecchio wrote.

''I might not have survived had it not been for the valiant efforts of the citizens and officers at the scene who cared for me and transported me to the hospital.''

Both men were treated in the emergency room of Washoe Medical Center. Del Vecchio was released last month and continues to recover at home.

The officers fired an estimated 14 shots that struck Carreras multiple times and a vacant van. None of the more than 25 people who witnessed the 5 a.m. shooting Aug. 21 near the corner of Second and Sierra streets was injured.

Carreras was booked Wednesday on a warrant issued Sept. 7 charging him with attempted murder with the use of a deadly weapon, resisting a public officer with a dangerous weapon and grand larceny of a motor vehicle.

Del Vecchio also was involved in a shooting in 1995 as a Sparks police officer. He and another officer shot and killed parolee Donald L. Cameron, who had just killed Sparks Officer Larry Johnson after a robbery.

Carreras has a criminal record in Washoe County dating back to 2000 that includes felony convictions for drugs and possessing stolen vehicles.

I would like to comment the judge, district attorny, and public defender for their excellent work during the first four felony cases...

WTF?!?!  two people got shot in the face/head and neither died?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:54:17 PM EDT
[#4]
How can someone have 4 felony convictions at 24 and not be still in prison???
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:58:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Was this another "poor undocumented migrant worker just looking for a better  way of life" that seems

to have bad luck with LE

Or was  he a native born scumbag
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:59:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Al Del Vecchio??!!

Seriously, Godspeed to Officer Del Vecchio and let's hope that scumbag stays locked up this time.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:00:08 PM EDT
[#7]
LEOs are trained to shoot their target. It has been documented that it takes .3-.6 seconds once a shooter has made his mind up to stop shooting to actually stop his trigger pull. In a deadly force situation, how many shots do you think you can squeeze off in that time?

Not pointing any fingers at anyone but that is the problem with the untrained and uneducated (dealing with firearms, deadly force situations and all the aspects involved therein) making judgements based on what they see on a video clip.

Go to www.forcescience.com and read some of the articles posted about police shootings.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:28:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
LEOs are trained to shoot their target. It has been documented that it takes .3-.6 seconds once a shooter has made his mind up to stop shooting to actually stop his trigger pull. In a deadly force situation, how many shots do you think you can squeeze off in that time?

Not pointing any fingers at anyone but that is the problem with the untrained and uneducated (dealing with firearms, deadly force situations and all the aspects involved therein) making judgements based on what they see on a video clip.

Go to www.forcescience.com and read some of the articles posted about police shootings.

What about those of us that are trained and educated on the subject that make comments?
Actually I think I can figure out the answer to that question. We're smartasses!
Thanks for the link. Interesting stuff. It's good that you are educating the public.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:44:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Lawyers.  National trend of not holding people accountable for their actions.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:07:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lawyers.  National trend of not holding people accountable for their actions.

Is that a serious question? I hooked up a parolee who had 48 felony convictions, and about 100 felony arrests, in 8 States............... He was 37-39 at the time, and looked like he spent a MAX of 10 years in the pen for those 48 felony convictions.........................
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:10:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What about those of us that are trained and educated on the subject that make comments?
Actually I think I can figure out the answer to that question. We're smartasses!
Thanks for the link. Interesting stuff. It's good that you are educating the public.

Not to mention getting shot in the face tends to throw a fella's aim off.......................
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:23:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:02:15 AM EDT
[#13]
And does not include all the crimes he did but was not arrested for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top