Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2005 8:52:31 AM EDT

Another thread "JBT's draw down on kid with toy AR-15" ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=392361&page=1, got me thinking about whether I'll give my son real looking toy guns with which to play.

I'm thinking I won't.   I want the real guns to look like they do and train my son properly on them.  The toy guns can be redguns for all I care.  I just don't want there to be any confusion on his part or eager police interpreting my son playin cops and robbers as attempted murder.

But then I wonder if I am contributing to the wussification of the USA.

What say you?

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:53:48 AM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:56:39 AM EDT
[#2]
don't let steveinPA know about it, he will wrap it around your head.

txl
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:57:35 AM EDT
[#3]
My son was been shooting M-16's, AR-15's, Uzi's, Mac's,M2's sence he was 10 years old. He dose not want to play with toy guns.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:57:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't do it around Arfcommers.

They'd shoot first and ask questions later.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:59:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My son was been shooting M-16's, AR-15's, Uzi's, Mac's,M2's sence he was 10 years old. He dose not want to play with toy guns.

I hope you also give him all the English advantages you never had.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:59:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:01:14 AM EDT
[#7]
So far, I haven't had any problems with my kids having the black guns with red muzzles on them. I haven't seen anything more realistic at the local WallyWorld.

If the don't have the toy guns, they use sticks or fingers.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#8]
It would depend on where they are going to 'play' with it. Seems an open invitation to getting killed by a LEO if they were playing with it in the wrong place. Sad, but true!

I had toy guns when I was a kid...but times were different 40+ years ago. Then there is the mindset that you shouldn't promote the idea to kids that guns are toys.

Personally, I take my grandkids to the range and teach them that guns are NOT toys and should be handled in a safe manner.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:04:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:04:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Not too smart in my opinion.  It could get someone killed.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:05:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I follow these threads very closely every time they come up and I'd have to say that there is no concensus here on the subject.  

There are some vocal folks  - on both sides -  with strongly held opinions and there are plenty, like me, who are still conflicted/undecided on the issue.  

IOW, "tag."
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:11:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Hmmm...

Now that I think about it, I don't think my daughter has played with a toy gun, other than a water pistol.

However, she is pretty good with the real thing!

I think that with the environment we live in today, having a red tip on a replica gun is a good idea.

Banning toy guns is a bad idea.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:14:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I think it's a good idea for them to have them--but only if they are also used as training aids.  My first niece--by age TWO--would NOT point her "pop gun" at anyone, had proper trigger-finger discipline, and respected it fully, in anticipation of receiving her "real gun."  She is a very safe gun-handler now, at age seven.  

+1

Today I would NOT DARE turn a kid loose with a realistic looking gun because of the possibility of getting shot for being percieved as a threat.

OTOH, in the early 60s we often played with REAL guns that had been deactivated.

Things were different then, and although we learned safety it wasn't as well taught as it is today.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:18:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the feedback.  I welcome more.

My son is just a wee lad at 4 months old right now, but I'll have to make a decision in a fwe years.

Still my inclination is for toy guns to not look real.  But the beekeeper brings up a new issue that I hadn't thought about.  

He says he trained his child with real gun rules with obvious toy guns.

Should I let my son point a pop gun at me and pull the trigger? How about a cap gun? I like the idea of never ever letting my son point a gun at a person and pull the trigger  in jest.   But thenhe won;t be able to play cowboys and indians,  cops and robbers,  US marine and terrorist, etc.

I guess I could set up a target in his room and tell him to play with the popgun or cap gun while "shooting" paper -- just doesn't seem the same.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:21:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:23:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I am cool with it.

When I was a kid we made our own, a baseballl bat pointed backards made for a mean heavy MG. Occasionally my dad would buy us one and the more real it looked, the better. Though to a kid any cool looking gun is good enough. I had a P38 that came witha  scope, extended mag, silencer and a stock that you could attach. It was the sweetest toy gun I ever had. After a week all the kids had one and instead of having to mess up your voice making realistic and loud as possible gun sounds, we all ran aound going "Psew Psew" (cause of the silencers of course)

We knew better than to aim them at folks not playing in our game and sure as heck knew not to point them at cops, or at least the cops we didnt already know.

As I got older the neighborhood kids were playing and they knew I was just a big kid so my neighbors son ran over and held me as prisoner till the other kids al caught up. Tjhey exectuted me and I did my best getting killed act for them. They loved it. My wife was pissed that I dropped all the groceries.

What is kind of sad now is you dont see kids playing wear anymore.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:26:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

OTOH, in the early 60s we often played with REAL guns that had been deactivated.

LOL, my best friends dad deactivated an old Walther .22lr and painted it gold. That was when James Bond was the coolest thing on TV.

He was the envy of the neighborhood.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:35:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Why not.

Eventually your child and his friends will end up playing Cops/Robbers, Cowboys/indians(excuse me) Native Americans, SEALS/Taliban, Jews/Arabs, ect. ect.

When all of the other kids with PC parents have to hunt down that perfect stick that looks like a rifle your kid will have a distinct advantage.  

Plus he'll be less likely to put out an eye than if he was reduced to using a stick.

Get him one like I had as a kid  - an M-16 that shot sparks out of the muzzle.  You pulled the trigger and it revolved a little grinding wheel against a flint in the muzzle.  They always made me the patrol leader.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:35:53 AM EDT
[#19]
just fine as long as they respect them and treat them like real firearms.  They don't understand everything yet, but are able and willing to learn quickly.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:39:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Nope.

It will just make for a bunch of bad habits to break when I start him out on the real ones.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:44:23 AM EDT
[#21]
the wife doesn't want the kids playing with toy guns...oh well.

So I take them to the range with me

14 yr old daughter likes the .45 pistol..

10 year old son likes the M1 carbine...

they both like 22's.

Essayons
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:06:16 AM EDT
[#22]
When I was a youngster,we would paint our toy guns with spray paint,evil black in 60 seconds.

We had BB gun wars,oh god am I glad we have all our eyes.We did use safty glasses,but only after a near hit.

As soon as I got a real gun,that all ended.

I belive that I would start on a BB gun and teach them the proper way to use it and be safe.If he has a bb gun,I doubt he will want to shoot his buddys,but every bird in the area will be under constant fire ...lol

Its much better playing with the real thing
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Don't.  Give them real guns and teach them resposible gun handling at an early age.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:11:13 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...spelling police!  Got nothing better to do then cut someone else down. Perhaps your parents could have taught you better manners.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:14:35 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I think it's a good idea for them to have them--but only if they are also used as training aids.  My first niece--by age TWO--would NOT point her "pop gun" at anyone, had proper trigger-finger discipline, and respected it fully, in anticipation of receiving her "real gun."  She is a very safe gun-handler now, at age seven.  

Yep.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:14:46 AM EDT
[#26]
You're in Georgia, it's not a problem there unless you live in Atlanta. Get your kid a real gun and take him hunting if he's 6 yo or older. If not, let him help daddy clean his guns and teach him safety & respect for firearms so he grows up to respect guns. I think every kid should have toy guns.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#27]
If you're doing your job as parent then you should have no issues with your kids playing with toy guns.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:18:40 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If my son wants one I'll buy him one. They really don't sell "real" colored toy guns, and barely even "real" looking toy guns any more.
If my son doesn't have any immediate interest in playing with toy guns I'm not going to push it on him until I feel he's old enough to handle a real firearm.
If JBT comes into my house something's seriously f'ed up.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:20:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:23:59 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Oh, that's crap.  

I spent my entire summer as a kid playing cops and robbers, army, cowboys and indians, and bank robbery.  

Don't take the kid to the range or expose them to firearms until they can make the distinction between real and play.  

We need more warriors not afraid of guns and how to handle them.  Playing with toy guns is the start.  

This PC crap of "never point even a toy gun at anyone" is silly.  It's a damn toy.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:37:51 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, that's crap.  

I spent my entire summer as a kid playing cops and robbers, army, cowboys and indians, and bank robbery.  

Don't take the kid to the range or expose them to firearms until they can make the distinction between real and play.  

We need more warriors not afraid of guns and how to handle them.  Playing with toy guns is the start.  

This PC crap of "never point even a toy gun at anyone" is silly.  It's a damn toy.  

+1
anyone who tries to treat toy guns as training aids is silly and it will take all the fun out of having a toy gun.
I played with toy guns until I was 13 years old, making "commando" movies in the backyard.
I had been shooting real guns since I was 10.

If your kid can't tell the difference between real life (firearms) and fantasy (toy guns), then there is something wrong.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:40:33 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Actually, I tend to use toy guns as training aids in my CCW classes specifically because its just too difficult to maintain proper muzzle discipline in a classroom setting.

After all, "no one here is profeshunal enuf to have a Glock Fody..."

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:42:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:46:32 AM EDT
[#34]
I was never allowed one(water or otherwise).  It COULD be percieved as a threat.  I've seen COPS episodes where people pointed toy guns at people or carried them in their cars.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:31:15 AM EDT
[#35]
I personally wouldnt,IMHO in this day and age childrens should be taught early that firearms aint toys,however I dont have a problem with someone that gives their child a toy gun,not like I know their kids better than they do
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:51:39 AM EDT
[#36]
When I was knee high to an ant. I knew the difference between a toy gun and a weapon.  It's like night and day....and I knew what I could and couldn't do with each one too!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:57:37 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, that's crap.  

+2 We live in AMERICA! Part of growing up a real true American kid is playing with toy guns, cops and robbers, cowboys and indians. I'd expect to hear this kind of sentiment on DU, not ARFCOM. We are letting them make guns more and more un-PC every day.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:05:43 PM EDT
[#38]
My kid has always had guns.  Toy and real.  He has always known the difference between a toy gun and a real gun.  He has yelled at/lectured adults who were less than careful at the range since he was 7.  He's been shooting real guns since he was 4.

He also has paintball guns and airsoft.  He and his friends have all of the safety equipment, including facemasks and goggles, and they have battles all the time.

He knows the difference.

ETA: A lot of his airsoft guns are functionally the same as the real thing.  He impresses gun store owners when we go to a shop and he asks to look at a glock, and he is able to instantly drop the mag, rack the slide, etc. even though I don't have a glock.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:07:07 PM EDT
[#39]
I wish my childhood friend had more education on the subtle yet critical issue of playing around with toy guns.  I was in the living room when he jumped out from his father's bedroom playing GI Joe and shot James Reynolds just over his right eye with a 9mm Luger.  We were 12.

It doesn't take much to forever ruin the world of someone, or of someone they love.

Give them the toys, but goddammit show them how to use them.  Such a high price to pay for a momentary lapse of judgement.

When I think of my 7 month year old daughter, this particular issue gets real personal for me.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:17:49 PM EDT
[#40]
It's okay to let your kids play with toy guns at home but not in a store parking lot.

Note in the other thread the adult had the toy gun not the kid.

You can't let the pussification of America ruin you kids childhood.

We were shooting 2-liter bottles over Labor Day with my old single-shot Ithica and some Calibra's.

I sat behind him in a chair and helped him aim and support the rifle.

He loaded the rifle, I cocked the hammer, and he pulled the trigger. Never a miss!

Not bad for a 3 year old. Great family fun.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top