Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2005 4:40:48 AM EDT
www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050922/NEWS02/509220427

A couple excerpts:

The Hurst company doesn't want to move, said company executive Jim Hurst, so money isn't the issue.

"We absolutely need their property. What's to be negotiated is how we pay them," said John Klipsch, executive director of the Indiana Stadium and Convention Center Building Authority.

The authority plans to use eminent domain if necessary to take the 4.4-acre property.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:53:56 AM EDT
[#1]
so soon?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:54:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I can sure see how a new football staduim fits neatly into "public need."

I'd be tickled pink to see ED religated to roads, utilities, and nothing else.  You want a new library there, negotiate fo r the land.  You want a museum to the history of the FSM, negotiate for the land.  You convince the state that you need a new stadium for your private company that will charge an arm and a leg to allow the same taxpayers that are paying to build the stadium for the privilage of watching you play a game, negotiate for the land.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:07:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I'd be tickled pink to see ED religated to roads, utilities, and nothing else.  You want a new library there, negotiate fo r the land.  You want a museum to the history of the FSM, negotiate for the land.  You convince the state that you need a new stadium for your private company that will charge an arm and a leg to allow the same taxpayers that are paying to build the stadium for the privilage of watching you play a game, negotiate for the land.

Gov has been pandered to by sports for yeears.  Think about blackouts for games.  When was it the govs job to help a private industry sell tickets?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:21:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Right here in my own back yard, too.

.gov needs to look at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.  How much does it cost the taxpayers?  How much money does it put into the Indianapolis economy?

How much is a stadium going to cost?  $500 million?  I don't think so, not if some f'in government beuracrat has ANYTHING to do with it.  Probably 2 billion.  How long will it take a football stadium to put 2 billion dollars into the economy?  100years?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:27:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
so soon?

So soon after the recent cour ruling that it can be used when the impact is of 'higher benefit' to the community than what currently exists on that land.

I am angry about this stadium anyway.  We are still paying the increased state/county tax for the previous stadium and now they have piled additional taxes on top of it.  And the reason the .gov cares is because it gets half of all the new taxes.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:01:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
so soon?

So soon after the recent cour ruling that it can be used when the impact is of 'higher benefit' to the community than what currently exists on that land.

I am angry about this stadium anyway.  We are still paying the increased state/county tax for the previous stadium and now they have piled additional taxes on top of it.  And the reason the .gov cares is because it gets half of all the new taxes.

FWIW, this particular case would have proceeded prior to the court ruling.

ED has been going on for at least 5 centuries.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:14:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I agree.  My university is threatening to make use of their eminent domain to oust a restaurant near campus.  The university plans to build a luxury hotel for distinguished guests of the university.  It is not a popular issue here.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:48:50 PM EDT
[#8]
This precident set with eminent domain is going to cause a lot of losses, all so those politically connected can put some more jingle in their pockets.  

In this case, it looks like the bean company stands to lose millions.  Employees will be out of work, possibly forever.  Some could lose their homes.  Who will recompense them?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, didn't take long really for it to start happening here also.  Long story short- my aunt owns 240 acres( around 150 of it is beautiful and the other 90 is side of hill/swamp) here. She lives 40 miles from here now, but was born here and has owned the land for 35 years or so.

A scumbag developer (not to be confused with decent developers) bought 120 acres beside her.  He wants to put in housing and low income housing with its own sewage treatment plant (roughly 140 single family homes and 90 townhouse/apartments).  He has no permits or anything, but made a "deal" with some of the supervisors and is in the early stages of trying to eminent domain part of her land to run the sewage discharge line through.

Basically the sewage plant would be right beside a big chunk of her nice land and the line would run right through the middle of her other decent land.  So her 240 acres would become worthless.  
She got a lawyer and it will be interesting to see what happens.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:10:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I wonder what it would take to "salt the ground" and make it unusable until cleaned up at a massive cost?

Or, you could move in a spotted owl and call Greenpeace.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:20:52 PM EDT
[#11]
It was a pi$$er when the city of South Bend used eminent domain to bulldoze a small horse farm/homestead in order to build Blackthorn Golf Course on the edge of an industrial district.  It was absolutely essential the city said!  Most locals can't afford to play there!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:26:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I wonder what it would take to "salt the ground" and make it unusable until cleaned up at a massive cost?

Or, you could move in a spotted owl and call Greenpeace.

All you need is a little plutonium.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:42:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I think that was the original intent of ED and I can understand those scenarios.  But bulldozing one private business to build another is just ridiculous.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:33:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Tag so I can read the article when I calm down a bit later.

Oh, since I slept in today I just discovered that a thread like this is a real waker upper.  Better than my coffee cup sitting beside me, well sugar with a little coffee flavor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top